PDA

View Full Version : North Sea, trial rig transfers by boat instead of helicopters

HeliHenri
26th Sep 2014, 07:51

Perenco UK Ltd today confirmed they are undertaking a one month trial period for its workers by using a DP Gezina vessel instead of helicopters in a bid to improve safety and environmental efficiency.

North Sea oil firm trial rig transfers by boat instead of helicopters (http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/local/north-sea-oil-firm-trial-rig-transfers-by-boat-instead-of-helicopters-1.594612)

AN OIL company is transporting some of its workers to North Sea platforms by boat instead of helicopters in a bid to improve safety.

Perenco UK Ltd today confirmed they are undertaking a one month trial period for its workers by using a DP Gezina vessel instead of helicopters in a bid to improve safety and environmental efficiency.

The boat offers accommodation for 40 people, with TV, internet and game consoles which are in every cabin.

Workers are also offered 24 hour service as well as fitness suites.

Perenco employs 4,500 people worldwide, with its UK operation employing more than 500.

Perenco is using the vessel to transport workers on two of its North Sea platforms, during the trial.

Bravo73
26th Sep 2014, 08:35
And, apparently, they weren't too impressed when one of the boats managed to bump into something before it had even left it's harbour!

HeliHenri
26th Sep 2014, 09:12
Too bad ...

ATPMBA
26th Sep 2014, 13:57
What operator is currently supplying helicopter transfers?

Perhaps their workers cannot slim down before the new regulations take place.

Smeagol
26th Sep 2014, 14:22
Only a matter of time, with winter coming, before they have a boat full of sea-sick techs unable to do anything but feel ill!

Sister ship was used on a SNS offshore wind farm recently without too much success.

Think it will be a month's trial only!

26th Sep 2014, 16:13
If this was the military, I would have said it was typical of the senior officers good ideas club - ignore the fact that it has been tried before (and failed) and do it again because the last lot that tried it clearly weren't up to it!

EESDL
26th Sep 2014, 17:34
with a 2.5 metre Hs limit ...........

Soave_Pilot
26th Sep 2014, 22:01
in a bid to improve safety

Oh please.... :ugh::ugh:

oldpax
27th Sep 2014, 00:09
I worked on a rig for a while but in the gulf of Thailand .On the outward journey I went by ship ,very comfortable seating ,tv etc only when we got there transfer was by a device the name I forget that was basically a round platform (3mtr)with netting above attached to a crane on the rig,you put your bag on the inside of the net and hang on to the outside and whoosh!!The crane lifts you up to the deck of the rig 60/70 feet up!!
Now how will they transfer in the North sea with a gale or the big waves usually seen?

Um... lifting...
27th Sep 2014, 06:42
oldpax, I believe you're talking about a Billy Pugh net.

Don't let 'em fool you (not that anyone's fooled). Ship transfers are cheaper, but take 10x as long, minimum, and the pax seldom arrive in as good a condition. Ships will always be needed for moving of heavy bulky cargo to / fro, but people? Give me a helicopter, thanks.

oldpax
27th Sep 2014, 08:22
Thanks that's the thing!Imaginr that wih the deck going up and down a few feet!

tistisnot
27th Sep 2014, 08:54
I notice we are immediately defensive and dismissive - but it remains a signal from the customer that we are not best trusted by them - perception of unserviceabilities, ditchings, accidents, difficulties to egress ..... why wouldn't they wish to seek alternatives / have plan B's?

jimf671
27th Sep 2014, 08:58
Boat transfers happen occasionally anyway. The most unsafe experience I have had offshore was definitely during a boat transfer. Not a fan.

diginagain
27th Sep 2014, 09:41
While the Billy Pugh remains in service for emergency use, most transfers these days use a buoyant, rigid capsule with 3 or 9 seats, into which a passengers is strapped, his kit being transferred in a separate container. Slow it may be, but risk is managed ALARP.

newaviator
27th Sep 2014, 10:27
Possible for crew change , but you still need a heli to get to a NUI .......

L'aviateur
27th Sep 2014, 11:04
The issue isn't really the boat, it's of a reasonable size (70m) and has pretty much everything it needs. The intention isn't for long trips. Will be <6 hrs mostly.
The real question is how safe are the Billy Pugh transfers, I have done many and haven't had an issue (you are supposed to connect the lanyard to your PFD although this is often omitted in briefs). But, is definitely a risk of injury during the landing of the basket, particularly when there is movement on the deck of the ship. I suspect the limits if the Billy Pugh are less then helicopter transfers. Cost difference I can't imagine will be vastly different overall. In certain countries the cost of seafarers is so rapidly exceeding helicopter crew that it's vastly cheaper to use a helicopter even with all other costs involved (example pilot embarkation in Australia).

helimutt
27th Sep 2014, 12:13
good idea to try it when the weather is fine.:= Having spoken to offshore workers who were on a trial in the past, they hated it. Sea sick. couldnt man-up in a heavy swell, long time to travel back and forth to shore and loss of their time -off. They werent impressed at all.

They still use basket transfers in Gulf of Thailand for inter field movements by boat. But because the rigs are 100+ miles offshore then its a 6+ hour journey by boat. Probably one of the reasons helicopters are busier than ever in Gulf of Thailand.

Fareastdriver
27th Sep 2014, 12:26
All transfers in China are done by helicopter even in the relatively benign East China Sea. There are occasions where an emergency requirement will call for an inter field basket transfer. The only time they have a rig to shore by boat is if during a typhoon evacuation there are more people than the helicopters can cope with.
They will always go back to the rig by helicopter.

Once you get a bit of a gale and the heave builds up past two metres they will forget the whole thing. It's some beancounter trying to make a name for himself.

oldpax
27th Sep 2014, 13:13
When I left the rig I left by helicopter.Its 143 miles to U-Tapao and I cannot recall wearing a lifejacket only ear defenders!Long way to travel over water?

helimutt
27th Sep 2014, 13:40
140 miles is normal in Gulf of Thailand. At least they let the pax wear life jackets now, but still no air con. :)

:ok:

Self loading bear
27th Sep 2014, 14:46
This thread is most interesting to me. (not being a pilot myself, I am occasionally one of your passengers on the (mostly Dutch) North Sea.
The improved capsule to which Diginiagain is referring is the Frog. It has shock breakers under de seats. I found it very comfortable but as a passenger you have less self-control in case of emergency (immersion or tipping over) as you are strapped in. Offshore Personnel & Cargo Transfer Solutions | Reflex Marine | Reflex Marine (http://www.reflexmarine.com/)

The Billy Pugh is still on board almost every drilling rig and occasionally used in the North Sea. The oil companies keep it as a last resort. Helicopter is the preferred and prescribed way of transfer (and perceived the safest) The risks with Billy Pugh transfer are in the possibility of snagging of the guide lines; the high impact at rough seas and last but not least: crane operator induced oscillation.
Operating a Offshore Crane - The Wrong Way Operating a Offshore Crane - The Wrong Way - YouTube

Oscillation is best dampened by dipping the Billy Pugh in the sea but that does not make the passengers more happy. I only have been transferred to a boat by Billy Pugh after 3 days of mist. But after 3 days of mist the sea is dead calm so very little risk on high impact.
The DP Gezina which is being used by Perenco does not uses the Billy Pugh or Frog but has an “Ampelmann”. http://www.ampelmann.nl/products/s2s/ (http://www.ampelmann.nl/products/s2s/)

This is a gangway which is mounted on a wave motion compensating hydraulic suspension. This is a Dutch development which originates from the idea to mirror the hydraulic suspension of flight simulators! As already mentioned by EESDL this works up to about 2,5 Hs significant wave height. (with 2 m hydraulic cylinders, it should be able to expand the envelope but would need larger cylinders) Ampelmann suggests/mentions on their website that this would give 87% up time in the Southern (Dutch) North Sea. I question that.

Fact is that it is nothing new. As far as I know in 2006 the Smit Kamara was the first supply vessel on the North Sea equipped with a wave motion compensated gangway operating for NAM/Shell. The gangway requires a docking station/step-over platform on the fixed platform or windmill, which can be up to 20 m above sea (but usually lower). At this moment the REM Star and the REM Mermaid have such gangways and are operating from Den Helder.

These vessel are specifically NOT intended for crew transfer to larger Manned platforms far away but are used as smaller mobile maintenance stations to serve NUI’s which have no proper accommodation. This eliminates that maintenance crews loose much hours by heli transfer every morning and evening. In Southern North Sea NAM/Shell have 3 satellites which are so small that they do not even have a heli deck! These are designed to be visited for maintenance solely by these “Walk to Work” vessels and they plan to do so only every two years!

It is true that a lot of the maintenance people do not love this way of “Walk to Work” as when they are working they are on a stable platform, but when they go to bed they are subjected to the wave motions of the vessel. Sea-sickness is indeed very common! I think it will only be a few years before dedicated SWATH type (fast semi-submersibles) are fitted with an Ampelmann and will reduce those complaints. These SWATHS are already been introduced in Windfarm maintenance and Pilot vessels.
http://www.loodswezen.nl/nl/materieel/swath/1823/ (http://www.loodswezen.nl/nl/materieel/swath/1823/)
http://www.odfjellwind.com/ (http://www.odfjellwind.com/)

So yes it is a thread for some helicopter operations.
But also something good may have come out of it:
Another Dutch company Barge Master has copied the idea and first developed it into a motion compensated crane foundation. Lately they have teamed up with aluminium helideck producer Bayards to introduce a motion compensated helideck on board ships.
http://www.barge-master.com/products/motion-compensated-helideck.html (http://www.barge-master.com/products/motion-compensated-helideck.html)

I was not able to find any data on significant wave heights or maximum amplitudes which can be absorbed, but I think you would need pretty long cylinders to compensate the full motion of a ship in conditions where this is beyond the ability of helicopters to land. Can anybody give some answers on the maxima which can be handled by an helicopter without any compensation? I guess it will aim to reduce maximum amplitudes too, say, 50% to increase operational limits.

SLB

pzu
27th Sep 2014, 15:48
SLB

Don't know if it's coincidence or not, but whilst watching your YouTube clip, the Ad that came up was offering something about a 'RETIREMENT GUIDE'!!!

But back to thread - Many moons ago as a young BRITISH Contractor on contract offshore Dubai to an 'Okie' outfit - you know the one, that World Leader in Safety that developed the STOP program (amongst others), they did in-field transfers by boat, usually laying alongside a lower landing deck - this quite often required use of a monkey rope, however if it was a bit choppy they switched to crane & basket

During my Festive Run ashore to play Santa Claus, I ended up with a broken wrist - however that safety conscious company still demanded my presence offshore, it was that or a ticket home!!! Somehow I survived!!!

This was the same company whose Field Foreman (GOD) completed an accident report involving a colleague who in typical Brit (mind you he was a Taff) fashion responded " Not as far as I know" to the question about his offspring - Six weeks later back came a Telex from Ponca City querying the response!!!:ugh:

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

Bravo73
27th Sep 2014, 16:43
This is the boat/system that Perenco are trailing:

DP Gezina/Galyna - YouTube (http://youtu.be/_MhrUYyuWPc)

It doesn't involve a crane.

http://www.cfbv.com/walk-to-work-vessels/

helimutt
27th Sep 2014, 19:02
So, if a rig with say 100+ people on it requires a crew change every two weeks, as is often the case in many parts of the world, and over 15+ rigs/vessels/fpso's/tankers nearby all requiring the same, then is one boat going to accomplish this? Nope. It's going to need a fleet. Then what happens when the sea state goes above 3m? AND, the distance between the furthest rigs is 100miles+? Can a boat do this in a day? Nope.

Some bases flying offshore can do up to 19 flights a day, transferring hundreds of personnel A DAY. I wouldnt worry about losing your offshore flying to a boat anytime soon.

terminus mos
28th Sep 2014, 00:23
SEACOR are offering fast cats with connections to heave compensated gangways capable of transporting up to 80 people at a time in "business class" comfort.

John Eacott
3rd Mar 2015, 01:46
New ship is expected to help cut southern North Sea costs
(https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/74794/new-ship-is-expected-to-help-cut-southern-north-sea-costs/)
A new maintenance support ship for Shell’s southern North Sea gas operations made its first appearance in UK waters at the weekend.

Shell said the vessel, named Kroonborg, would change the way the company and partner Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij (NAM) operated more than 50 gas producing platforms.

It is expected to reduce the cost of operating smaller gas fields, which are becoming increasingly prevalent, by improving the productivity and safety of maintenance engineers.

The Kroonberg, owned by Dutch company Royal Wagenborg, can carry up to 60 workers who would previously have travelled by helicopter and stayed on platforms for two weeks at a time.

Shell said it combined the capabilities of a supply boat – carrying food and equipment – and standby vessel, which provides support in an emergency).

It will also transport workers directly to gas platforms, potentially reducing by 25% the number of helicopter flights required.

The new vessel will support up to three platforms at a time and allow staff to move between platforms when jobs are complete, which – along with a fully-equipped workshop on board – is expected to increase the number of productive man-hours offshore by 20%.

Shell and NAM project leader Haije Stigter said: “It’s crucial, particularly in a low oil price environment, to keep an eye on the cost of operating smaller gas fields in the southern North Sea.

“The Kroonborg will make a big difference by allowing us to use manpower and equipment more efficiently.”

The new ship was shown off to Shell and NAM staff at an open day in Great Yarmouth on Saturday. It will start work in the Dutch and UK southern North Sea within weeks.

http://cdn2.shipspotting.com/photos/middle/2/7/8/2184872.jpg

Fareastdriver
3rd Mar 2015, 07:37
So it's a workboat. Carrys men and equipment and ties up alongside an unmanned platform to carry out maintenance, workovers etc...

in good weather.

helimutt
3rd Mar 2015, 09:07
I can see many offshore workers preferring this though. They can technically become seafarers, tax free, and enjoy the pitching and heaving associated with this size of vessel in the north sea. :ok::ok::ok:

I hope its a great success:E

Impress to inflate
5th Jul 2017, 00:39
How did this trial go, was it a success ??

Self loading bear
5th Jul 2017, 15:31
How did this trial go, was it a success ??

This is No trial.
The Smit Kamara could be regarded the trial. This ship is purpuous build.
Aim was 20% efficiency increase, after one year they reached 30%.NAM viert eerste verjaardag van onderhoudsschip Kroonborg | NAM (http://www.nam.nl/nieuws/2016/nam-viert-eerste-verjaardag.html)
In Dutch of course

Cheers SLB

gasax
5th Jul 2017, 19:57
To echo SLB. My company did some of the risk assessment work for the Smit Kamara. At that time it looked better than rotary.

Years roll by, ship transfer by either crane or gangway is literally hundreds and thousands (orders or magnitude to those in the know) safer than helicopters.

They will not take over, the time and resistance of the workforce to sea going and the rest will always make it a second choice - but one which is so much cheaper it will eat into the helicopter market.

In the southern sector it will restrict the helicopter market, less so up north but eventually expensive and dangerous helicopters will seem an extravagance.

helimutt
6th Jul 2017, 07:10
dangerous helicopters? hmmmm

212man
6th Jul 2017, 10:27
Years roll by, ship transfer by either crane or gangway is literally hundreds and thousands (orders or magnitude to those in the know) safer than helicopters

My company has conducted several research projects over the years, comparing transport modes, and the results are nowhere close to your assertion. Country variations are marked, but typically the differences in risk are single digit multiples. You might want to revisit your understanding of 'orders of magnitude'...;)

SASless
6th Jul 2017, 15:52
Early days in the Ninian we lived on a Semi-Submersible and walked to work....then flew the shuttle flights to the platforms and back to the platform the helicopter lived on....then we walked back home to where we lived.

Watching the walkway shuttle back and forth to judge where the stepping on/off point was could get interesting.

TipCap
6th Jul 2017, 22:25
I remember doing the crew change for the Beryl Safety boat by winch. Mobil/Maersk had done a risk assessment and had decided to do the crew change by helicopter (Public Transport restrictions, of course) rather than by basket

Talking to the Maersk crew they preferred the helicopter winch transfer too

TC

Hughesy
7th Jul 2017, 03:17
Here is the boat that will be trialled.
Not that good overall but will get there in the end. :E
Go NZ! :ok::E

https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/04/25/land_rover_bar_americas_cup_boat.jpg?x=1200&y=794

Self loading bear
8th Jul 2017, 18:50
Total is going the same way as NAM/Shell in the Dutch Northsea. They have chartered from Bibby:

Offshore Energy Today Mobile (http://m.offshoreenergytoday.com/#newsitem-243906)

SLB