PDA

View Full Version : No, it's not a Mirage (oh yes it is)

son of brommers
25th Sep 2014, 12:18
This is one way to get from A to B.......................
Mirage F1 towed on highway | Centurion Rekord (http://rekordcenturion.co.za/28182/mirage-f1-towed-on-highway/)

Haraka
25th Sep 2014, 15:22
Not the first time...
I got stuck behind one being towed along the highway between Waterkloof and Swartkopf c.1998 post the African Aerospace & Defence show . :)

Fonsini
28th Sep 2014, 00:38
Ahh the F.1 - one of the few military aircraft that wasn't designed in the UK that I wish had been.

typerated
28th Sep 2014, 05:30
"Ahh the F.1 - one of the few military aircraft that wasn't designed in the UK that I wish had been. " Explain?

SpringHeeledJack
28th Sep 2014, 06:31
One wonders why it wasn't transported during the night to minimise the dangers of unwanted traffic along the way.

Snapshot
28th Sep 2014, 08:56
To be fair, if you have travelled on SA's road system, compared to other things you see sharing the tarmac, it isn't such a strange sight! However I suspect the main reason to move her would be because by sunrise it would be found on bricks in a chop shop minus just about everything that would leave it to resemble an aircraft! Most likely the flat wingy and tail things finding their way onto the back end of a few vehicles as spoilers or on a car roof or two in the vertical position resprayed and advertising pizza or kfc on each side :ooh:

gr4techie
28th Sep 2014, 11:02
I could imagined the kids in the back of a passing car... "I spy with my little eye, something beginning with M ?"

To be fair, if you have travelled on SA's road system, compared to other things you see sharing the tarmac, it isn't such a strange sight!

When I visited SA many years ago. We were driving in the middle of nowhere. Then all of a sudden we passed a guy walking along the side of the road. I still wonder to this day where could he have came from and where was he going? We were miles from anywhere.

I also remember guys selling coat hangers at the side of the road. Nobody stopped at red lights (or robots as they're called) though. I saw two V8 pick-up trucks with cranes on the back race from the lights, my SA friend said all the recovery trucks get the call for a car broken down and the trucks race to get there, winner gets the custom.

One day it was so hot, at a traffic light, I saw a car tyre valve blew off.

You could not leave a car park unless you showed the car keys to the security guy so he knew you did not hotwire the car. One shopping mall in Cape Town had a armoured personnel carrier gate guardian. While one shopping mall outside jo'berg would have an open air cinema in it's carpark, you tuned your car radio to hear the film and cook a bbq on the tailgate.

I remember a car with a green flashing light on its roof driving around the housing complex, I asked my SA friend what it was and he replied it was armed civvy contractors who you pay to patrol the housing estate. A large detached house with an outdoor pool, big garage, electric sliding gate, was £20,000.

If you could live there earning UK wages, Cape Town is a nice place. I never saw any crime but then I used a bit of common sense about where to go and when.