PDA

View Full Version : OFT in Kissimmee

spitfire747
20th Sep 2001, 21:35
Hello Everyone

I am going back to OFT to do some hour building in November and an IMC rating.

Is there anyone who is going over there around the 10th November for a couple of weeks ??

Spitfire

EX FTE
21st Sep 2001, 04:31
Maybe there!

I am in need of a multi and a night rating so I may well be there before heading back to the UK to resume at Oxford.

GoneWest
21st Sep 2001, 06:27
Spitfire - I would be tempted to ensure that OFT will get you a visa for your training before you attempt to enter the United States - and also ensure that OFT will be there when you arrive.

OFT currently have two outfits - both of which are now within Class B airspace....which is closed to all VFR traffic.

I'd also ensure that you can convert your licence for use in the USA - unless you already have done.

geostrophic
21st Sep 2001, 18:26
Hi
I thought about going to OFT in November to get some hours in. I have considered Rand S.Africa. in case there are continued problems with flying in the US. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of S.A. or better still, any advice on where else to get hours in, in the winter??

GoneWest
23rd Sep 2001, 21:16
Beware!! The hour building potential at OFT at the moment is very limited.

Dual flight TRAINING is allowed from their two base airfields but solo (student) training or flight by a licensed pilot IS NOT - there must be an instructor on board.

Look at http://38.200.9.137/index.html#plain for a plain language version of the active notams.

Of course, this ban MAY be lifted by November - then again, maybe not.

sammartin
24th Sep 2001, 22:28
Why would you want to go to OFT anyhow? They really have gone down hill in the past 6 months, I've heard so many bad stories about them, stay well away is my advice.

spitfire747
25th Sep 2001, 01:00
Thanks

after talking to them and some other schools they seem to offer NO advice about current FAA regs about pilots, VISAS, training etc.
they say just tell immigration you are coming for a holiday..

looking at Ambassador airways in NAPLES, any ideas