PDA

View Full Version : Statue stolen from St Clement Danes church

NutLoose
24th Sep 2014, 18:36
Words fail me :mad::mad::mad:

A heads up as to what is missing in case anyone sees it on their travels.

https://www.facebook.com/royalairforce/photos/a.263638134884.138827.26035834884/10152745425244885/?type=1&fref=nf

TomJoad
24th Sep 2014, 19:42
I suspect those that did this neither know nor care of those whose memory they insult. The only hope is that as the statute is unique that it can't pass anywhere without notice.

Tom

Rosevidney1
24th Sep 2014, 19:50
Despicable. As the photographs have been widely released the thief should find it impossible to sell. This does not guarantee its continued existence unfortunately.

CoffmanStarter
24th Sep 2014, 19:50
Well said Tom ... the perpetrators are no more than scum in my view.

Wander00
24th Sep 2014, 20:09
Words fail me - hope perpetrators are found and severely dealt with - that's really severe community service......................

nutnurse
24th Sep 2014, 21:36
Probably undergraduate or 6th Form prank. I really do hope it's not Middle Eastern politics again.

Tankertrashnav
24th Sep 2014, 21:44
At least it's not bronze, or it would have been melted down by now, so there is some hope of it turning up eventually. Less chance of catching the thieves though, I should think, more's the pity!

SpringHeeledJack
24th Sep 2014, 22:12
"When a holy man walks through the market, the pickpocket sees only the pocket"..as said, whomever was stupid enough to steal the statue, it was only for it's worth as scrap metal. This is what happens when the values that seemingly enticed all and sundry to come here have been diluted to the point that they are no longer valued.

Surplus
25th Sep 2014, 00:39
whomever was stupid enough to steal the statue, it was only for it's worth as scrap metal.

It was made of stone.

Whenurhappy
25th Sep 2014, 04:10
Shared on Faceache, for what it's worth.

Fat Magpie
25th Sep 2014, 06:21
Stone huh, no doubt those who took it will be pissed when they get it to the scrap dealer.

Tankertrashnav
25th Sep 2014, 08:39
Apparently the new law which bans scrap dealers from paying cash for metal has lead to a 80 - 90 % drop in the theft of signalling cable from the railways, as it is much harder to sell. This should also lead to a drop in thefts of metal plaques off war memorials, etc, although that obviously hasn't helped in this case.

Exascot
26th Sep 2014, 10:05
Not in quite the same league, but we had a robbery at home a few months ago and amongst other things my Royal Air Force Officer's ceremonial sword belt was stolen. What on earth are these f:mad:g b:mad:ds going to do with that. Clearly not hang a sword from it because they ditched the side belts (or whatever the technical term is)..

Basil
26th Sep 2014, 14:06
Exascot, bit of drift, but I recollect travelling on the London underground carrying an armful of Wilkinson's finest products. No-one raised an eyebrow. Nowadays I guess I'd be in the slammer for carrying knives in a public place :rolleyes: Mutter, mutter, back in my day . . .

Whenurhappy
26th Sep 2014, 14:45
Exascot, bit of drift, but I recollect travelling on the London underground carrying an armful of Wilkinson's finest products. No-one raised an eyebrow. Nowadays I guess I'd be in the slammer for carrying knives in a public place

I got into a spot of bother a few years ago in Waitrose, in Canary Wharf, going shopping with my sword (in its case) in the trolley,after an event in town. The efficient private security thought it might be a shot gun! I got an apology and a £10 voucher.

Not in quite the same league, but we had a robbery at home a few months ago and amongst other things my Royal Air Force Officer's ceremonial sword belt was stolen. What on earth are these fg bds going to do with that. Clearly not hang a sword from it because they ditched the side belts (or whatever the technical term is)..

I lost mine after a wedding at the RAF Club - it got mixed up with the pool swords from High Wycombe. I got my sword back but not the belt. I tracked down a replacement one on line (made in Pakistan) for about £50.

Bill4a
27th Sep 2014, 18:57
Put on my Facebook. Let's hope they catch the buggers.

Exascot
28th Sep 2014, 10:10
Basil & Whenurhappy It was a security aspect which saved the sword. I would not risk it going hold baggage and me thinks that airport security would be a bit touchy about it going hand baggage, so it is still at our house in Greece. Well it was when we left!