PDA

View Full Version : Removing wings etc.

Johnny_56
24th Sep 2014, 05:55
Does anyone know why we, as pilots, remove our wings/epauletes (? Stripy things) when we leave work?

As long as I've been flying it's always been etiquette to remove them at the bar or when having a drink but I've noticed recently guys taking them off when they go out to lunch or going into the shops etc.

Does anyone know why? Is it that people might see that we're pilots and may not concentrate on their job?

Just seems weird..

josephfeatherweight
24th Sep 2014, 06:04
Wish I knew how to post that mini-video-GIF-thing of Michael Jackson snacking on popcorn...

Squawk7700
24th Sep 2014, 06:14
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2837510/michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

josephfeatherweight
24th Sep 2014, 06:16
Yep, that's the one. Much obliged... :}

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Sep 2014, 06:32
Does anyone know why we, as pilots, remove our wings/epauletes (? Stripy things) when we leave work?

So you won't be mistaken for a bus driver! :ok:

Dr :8

VH-UFO
24th Sep 2014, 07:47
Or a Tosser.

Dash8driver1312
24th Sep 2014, 08:00
Because if you're not working there's no need to be showing off an essentially-meaningless rank slide. I find it vaguely amusing to wear it in the "office" anyway when the guy sitting next to me knows exactly how qualified I am and no one else is going to see us...

hurlingham
24th Sep 2014, 08:36
I am proud of what I do & equally proud of who I work for.
My epaulettes & wings go on my uniform when I go to work & come off when I get home - have done for over 40 years.

BlatantLiar
24th Sep 2014, 08:41
I am proud of what I do & equally proud of who I work for. I wear my uniform on my days off.

yr right
24th Sep 2014, 09:15
Because if you don't it's your shout at the bar.

Ultralights
24th Sep 2014, 09:21
and here i was thinking the thread was going to be about removing the wings off an aircraft to ship..

who wears sliders anyway?

Aussie Bob
24th Sep 2014, 09:29
I am still laughing at BL's post and wondering how long this thread will go before the lock button.

Same here UL, I clicked on it to learn about removing wings and nope, never owned sliders either.

Jabawocky
24th Sep 2014, 10:59
Perhaps if more wore their uniform with pride rather than (in my opinion) degrading it, the general respect in the greater population would be higher.

Like it was once many years ago.

To those of us who are in the industry but not airline pilots we can tell…..you are an airline pilot, usually the rest of the briefcase, boots etc give it away. Otherwise you look like a silver service cab driver.

Wear your uniform with pride.

MakeItHappenCaptain
24th Sep 2014, 11:21
Or a Tosser.

No, pretty sure the kiddys today have pride in their profession. Just last week I heard about one of the local meat grinder products removing his school slides and popping on four bars to fill up his renault at the servo.

j3pipercub
24th Sep 2014, 11:38
I get mistaken for a tosser even in my civvies...

...still single
24th Sep 2014, 12:02
I get mistaken for a tosser even in my civvies...

Me too!! ...I don't know why?

morno
24th Sep 2014, 13:04
My uniform goes on in full at home before I go to work and stays on until I get home again.

Barring the jacket, if I need to do something on the way to work like fill the car up with fuel or grab the milk on the way home for the wife, why do I need to bother to take everything off? I don't think anyone really cares. I've also worked hard to get where I am and am proud of what I do, so I won't be removing 2 pieces of fabric with some coloured bars on them, because a few people on pprune think it makes you look like a tosser. :ugh:

As to the original post, good laugh, :E.

morno

B772
24th Sep 2014, 13:10
On a visit to the Dentist about 10 years ago the young 'chap' before me was in full uniform. The Dentist later described him as a tosser and said he was on a day off !

framer
24th Sep 2014, 13:20
I went to and from work five times in the last six days. Five times I parked my car and crossed the road on foot to the coffee shop where the lovely lady knows what I want and gives me my take away coffee. I've been wearing a uniform for over twenty years....there is no way I'm going to waste time taking taking rank slides off then putting them on again. If someone gives a rats then they're the tosser.

fleigle
24th Sep 2014, 13:28
This seems to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhGYFqzvmMg

:ooh::ooh::ooh:
(coat, hat, door)
f