PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Knob

Heffalump363
23rd Sep 2014, 17:14
Hi Chaps, I wonder if you can help.

We've got a Westerboer VW900 vario with a sticky knob, sometimes it takes two hands to change the volume or turn it on. It's a single input instrument, twist and click the knob to turn on, keep twisting to turn it up. The shaft of the knob (sic) goes through the glass and into the instrument.
Any help on how to make it turn a bit easier? I was tempted to give it a good squirt of WD and some exercise, but I don't know if that will do any good to the insides.

Much love

Heffs

Sir George Cayley
23rd Sep 2014, 19:25
KY Jelly?

SGC

Crash one
23rd Sep 2014, 22:05
WD40 should be ok, using two hands on the thing is a very bad idea. Take it to bits and fix it before you bust something.

gemma10
23rd Sep 2014, 22:25
You lot are slow tonight :}

Crash one
23rd Sep 2014, 22:48
It did cross my mind.:D

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Sep 2014, 08:27
"Undercarriage lever a bit sticky, was it sir?"

"Well, yes, actually, it was rather"

"Well I wouldn't tell the C.O. that if I were you"

cockney steve
24th Sep 2014, 10:48
SGC was quick off the mark!
Anyway, where plastic, rubber and glass are involved, I'd suggest silicone grease/spray/ release agent.
AFAIK, the basis of WD40 is fish-oil, very effective 40 th. attempt to formulate a Water Dispersant.....However, it dries outand becomes viscous. Silicone doesn't and does not attack most plastics. Also commonly sold in car-accessory shops as Vinyl shine or Dashboard cleaner . Sewing suppliers(haberdashers) sell it for machining plastics/rubbers/tarpaulins.....makes the material slide under the needle without puckering and bunching!

Steve6443
24th Sep 2014, 14:41
That Cockney Steve knows about haberdasheries and sewing has suddenly destroyed my image of him being a true pilot, a he-man's man.....:E