PDA

View Full Version : VfrFlight - new free VFR flight planner

lesnyborsuk
23rd Sep 2014, 08:50
Hi,

I'd like to share with you my free VFR planner - VfrFlight. During my PPL training I have started developing this application to help me with VFR planning. Hence, it is focused at pilots needs.

It is meant to be lightweight, intuitive, easy to understand and yet powerful.
(it is kind of free alternative to SkyDeamon or SkyVector).

Screenshots, documentation and more information about features are here:
http://vfrflight.org

Feel free to report me bugs and feature requests. I am happy to develop this project further!

Best regards,
Lukasz

Saab Dastard
23rd Sep 2014, 17:33
Normally we don't allow promotion of products and services in the forums.

However, this is a free application developed by a pilot for pilots, so it can stay, on the understanding that it remains FoC and the thread isn't used for bug reporting (that can be done on the website).

SD

Jan Olieslagers
23rd Sep 2014, 18:19
Available for what platforms?
Windoze? Android? iThingies? Linux?
(excuse if the answer is there, I took a brief look around only)

sgenie
23rd Sep 2014, 23:59
From the look of it, Windows only - which is a pity, I use Mac.

lesnyborsuk
24th Sep 2014, 07:04
Hi guys,

thanks for posting this.
It runs with JAVA, executable is included for Windows, but if you have Java installed you can run it on any desktop.

Unfortunately, it does not support Android yet.

Best regards,
Lukasz

Alus
17th Mar 2019, 13:01
Hi All,

I recently found this application: VfrFlight planning software which I found very useful and well done.
I wanted to suggest a new (very simple but useful) feature but I'm currently unable to contact Lukasz, the support page of his website doesn't work, the same the FB page (also on this forum his mailbox seems full) so now I'm trying to write here hoping that he can get this message.

I fly gliders and ultralight planes and I also worked on some open source software for flying (a flight navigator "AirNavigator" for TomTom devices and a airspace converter) as hobby but mostly on LK8000 which is meant for gliding but I made modifications to make it usable also on powered flights, in particular the possibility to load GPX flight plans (GPX routes) and all the guidance to fly the route with an HSI screen etc.
So what I'm missing in VfrFlight software is the possibility to export and import GPX route files, therefore I wrote a really simple program in Java to do this conversion in both directions, but I think it would be simply great if VfrFlight could do it directly.
I would be more than happy to share this application with you but being a new user I can't post links. I would be also happy to share the sources and to have this feature directly integrated in VfrFlight.
This would be a very useful feature: hundreds of GA pilots using LK8000 will then have the possibility to use also VfrFlight to plan their flights!

Cheers,

Alberto

Alus
16th Jun 2019, 08:34
Now it seems that also the domain vfrflight.org is gone.
So is this project completely dead?

mikehallam
16th Jun 2019, 17:01
I'm not quite sure what flight planning you wish to do, BUT...

I've been using this free application, set up by a knowleadable friendly UK guy called "Dave",

https://notaminfo.com/node/5

It's suitable for both UK & le Continent.
I have Windows & use it at home for pre-flight plannning. Being old fashioned it suits my needs when chart plotting, but perhaps it also has wider accessability.
It gives NOTAM's in text and pictorially correctly shown on a map, they cover for 'now' or looking ahead at your choice and show your plot lines, direction & distance, [With choice of preferred units too].

Alus
4th Jan 2020, 19:55
Now it seems that also the domain vfrflight.org is gone.
So is this project completely dead?

No, apparently it is not completely dead...
Now vfrflight.org is redirecting on another domain with the same contents of the original website including the latest version v2.3.1 (so now again downloadable).
Anyway I still keep using this software for planning my flights.

Alus
6th Jan 2020, 15:44
For who is interested I would like to share the simple converter program I did, since I don't want to keep it only for myself...
It is intended only to convert flight plan(s) prepared with above mentioned VfrFlight (.vfr files) to GPX (.gpx files) and viceversa.
So, then the flight plan can be flown using any other software/device supporting GPX.
This tool is, of course, not only absolutely free but also open source with the wish that, whenever Lukasz will have time to continue the development, can integrate it as import/export option directly in his VfrFlight.
Who is interested can search for "GPXrouteConverter" on github.com
I hope this can be useful for somebody.

Jan Olieslagers
6th Jan 2020, 18:54
That is a fine move, @Alus, much appreciated even if I have no direct use for it. OpenSource/OpenData is the way to go!

Arik12
17th Apr 2020, 14:57
For who is interested I would like to share the simple converter program I did, since I don't want to keep it only for myself...
It is intended only to convert flight plan(s) prepared with above mentioned VfrFlight (.vfr files) to GPX (.gpx files) and viceversa.
So, then the flight plan can be flown using any other software/device supporting GPX.
This tool is, of course, not only absolutely free but also open source with the wish that, whenever Lukasz will have time to continue the development, can integrate it as import/export option directly in his VfrFlight.
Who is interested can search for "GPXrouteConverter" on github.com
I hope this can be useful for somebody.

This is perfect - thats the only reason I stopped using it -> on the changelog it says New feature: User track export to GPX format but never found a way to do it...

Thank you!

Alus
23rd Apr 2020, 07:23
This is perfect - thats the only reason I stopped using it -> on the changelog it says New feature: User track export to GPX format but never found a way to do it...

Thank you!

You are welcome!
I'm very glad to see that it is useful for somebody.

Al.

hid3
20th Sep 2023, 10:20
Hello,

is this project dead?

First_Principal
23rd Sep 2023, 22:14
...is this project dead?

I am not one of the authors and nor do I use this software, however from what I can see GPXrouteConverter remains available on github (https://github.com/alus-it/GPXrouteConverter), 'Dave's' site is still up, and VfrFlight 2.3.1 appears to be available (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/vfrflight-bin) for my platform of choice (Linux).

That said I suspect the 'project' has not been progressed for some time, although perhaps the original authors lesnyborsuk and Alus could have something more to say on that?

FP.