PDA

View Full Version : career as Fi in new zealand

kksi
21st Sep 2014, 20:24
Hi fellow members!!
I am an Indian CPL holder which I converted originally from filipino CPL.
Further i am planning to migrate to new zealand n do flight instructor rating followd by CPL cconversion.

What are the career prospects for pilot in new zealand ? Lastly, In new zealand foreign CPL can be directly converted to New zealand CPL or first to ppl n then cpl, as its in the philippines.:confused:

Thanks

pineappledaz
21st Sep 2014, 23:27
Not sure on the CPL conversion..contact the NZ CAA, there is a link somewhere on the site which outlines the process.

Chances of work? Pretty much next to nothing..already a heap here looking and those bold enough are disappearing overseas.

27/09
22nd Sep 2014, 00:03
There is no need to get a PPL first normally. Expect to do all the CPL exams and the flight test unless you have a bit of flight time as a commercial pilot.

Your Indian CPL might not be worth much, since it appears it's obtained as a conversion rather than being a stand alone licence.

So far as working as pilot or an instructor goes, you'd be joining the queue. Pilots leave New Zealand to get work, they don't come here to get work.

P.S. I'm not sure you'd be able to migrate here just to study.

Oktas8
22nd Sep 2014, 00:10
Career prospects very low for a foreign pilot. NZ is an exporter of pilots, with a surplus every year.

training wheels
22nd Sep 2014, 01:50
Half the flight instructors at Bali International Flight Academy (http://www.baliflightacademy.com/opportunity.php) in Indonesia are Indians, so you might feel more at home there. Only catch is, you'll need a minimum of 1000 hours TT and 500 hours instructional as a flight instructor, so it's not an entry level job. But if you're serious about being a career flight instructor once you have the minimums, then it seems like a good gig.

kksi
22nd Sep 2014, 05:01
Oh really that was surprising for me :sad: however I am in contact with few of flying schools there for job after completing Fi rating from them such as eagle n iaanz. they are saying they can get me job bt final decision will be after completion of it.
Are their any chances ?? Or they just trying to fool me for 20k nzd..

pilotchute
22nd Sep 2014, 07:33
Mate they will tell you what you want to hear. Anything to get you to part with your money.

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Sep 2014, 07:47
You can't just "migrate to New Zealand" and convert your licence and work as a pilot. You need a work visa in order to get a job.

Since pilots are not on the skills shortage list :rolleyes: you'll find it almost impossible to get a work visa unless you have qualifications in another area, have a few million dollars to invest, are related to another NZ citizen, or marry one.

Have a look at https://visaoptions.immigration.govt.nz/Home/Landing.aspx for a start.

Don't waste your money on a NZ CPL or FI rating if you don't have the right to work there.

Lastly, even if you do qualify, then be aware that it is virtually impossible to "make a career as a FI in New Zealand" due to the low / non existent wages and the hundreds of low hour guys who apply for every available job.

If any school tells you otherwise, they are lying through their teeth :(

pineappledaz
22nd Sep 2014, 08:03
If you are talking about AFT at Ardmore then yes they do put alot of international students onto an extra 100hrs or so FI time. Not sure on the exact cost or whether you are paid. This is allowed only if you qualify under the student visa scheme, which means you have to complete a whole qualifying diploma program. Doing the FI component will not be sufficient. Besides these guys are allowing international students to work at the expense of New Zealanders.

kksi
22nd Sep 2014, 09:11
Really Thanks for the info. Mates . worthy info. From all of you will save my thousands of dollars :)Lastly I want to confirm how about autralia ?? Is there same situation??

lilflyboy262...2
23rd Sep 2014, 00:47
Eagle flight training in Ardmore routinely hires indian instructors.
They are however of very very good caliber. If you go there, and work hard, they will do their best to hire you.
Its not a scam. They train a lot of indian and papuan pilots so like to hire instructors of those nationalities.
Before you pay out 20k, you would be best to get on a plane and check them out with your own eyes.

Humbly Reserved
23rd Sep 2014, 11:24
Really Thanks for the info. Mates . worthy info. From all of you will save my thousands of dollars Lastly I want to confirm how about autralia ?? Is there same situation??

G'day mate, to answer your question like how some kiwis answered yours...

Australia is struggling with an over supply of freshly minted pilots looking for their first/early career job. However that said, all those kiwis that bang on about NZ being full, come to Australia and clog up our market even more.

My real answer, If your determined and work hard. Give it a go, hell if NZ doesn't work out you can do what all the other kiwis do and come to AUS. I know of a couple Indians who made it as Aussie GA pilots and they were top blokes.

HR

kksi
23rd Sep 2014, 13:04
Thanks for the advice . It is pretty much sensible . Instead of new zealand, I shall think of Australia . If you know about any flying school there in aus. Who may employ foreign pilots pls. Let ne know . Thanks

pineappledaz
24th Sep 2014, 03:04
Chances of getting a visa to work in Oz as a FI..nigh impossible.

Inspired
25th Sep 2014, 10:24
We have a surplus of pilots here in aus and i highly doubt you would be able to get a work visa in australia anyway since pilot is not a high priority employment so the chances of you getting hired in aus as a fi is almost nil