PDA

View Full Version : PAPI/VASIS erroneous light indications

Centaurus
21st Sep 2014, 13:05
Business & Commercial Aviation magazine 14 September 2014 contains an excellent article at page 38 called "The Blurred Approach". It deals with visual illusions in heavy rain.

The author Patrick Vieillette ([email protected]) starts the article by saying "It is tempting to think that the hardest part of an instrument approach is the portion conducted solely with reference to instruments, and the challenge ends once the runway is in sight. However, that transition to the visual portion of the approach can pose a new set of challenges resulting from reduced visual cues or visual illusions, and the spatial disorientation that can follow."

If any of the editorial staff of the CASA/ATSB journal Flight Safety Australia happen to read B&CA they should seriously consider reproducing the article in FSA so that Australian licence holders can gain valuable flight safety knowledge from it. The article quoted an incident reported to the NASA Aviation Reporting System that graphically illustrated that VASIS lights can give erroneous indications which may not be detected by pilots until short final. In this incident, a corporate jet was landing at an uncontrolled field at night. Unknown to the pilots, the VASIS had been knocked askew by a tractor mowing the grass. The pilots thought they seemed a bit low, but trusted the VASIS. They noticed the VASIS lights seemed a bit intermittent, and then realised through their landing lights that they were actually skimming the tops of trees. An immediate go-around followed.

Upon inspecting the VASIS in daylight, it turned out the " on-slope" indication put the flight path through the trees.

Back in the 1980's an Air Nauru Boeing 727 came close to over-running Runway 30 at Nauru one night on to rocks of the seawall at the northern end. The 727 was on a straight-in approach when the captain sensed the aircraft was higher than normal for a three degrees slope on the A (abbreviated) T-VASIS. At about four miles the aircraft was one dot high so the pilot adjusted the flight path to be on slope. In those days the runway was 5600 feet long with the sea at both ends. At approximately 500 feet, the 727 was still stabilised on slope on the T-VASIS indications although the pilot still sensed the aircraft was slightly higher than expected.

The aircraft touched down further into the runway than expected from a three degree approach causing the pilot to apply maximum braking and full reverse. The 727 was stopped with 50 metres to spare. Investigation revealed that two of the VASIS Fly-down boxes of lights were inoperative. When the pilot saw one fly down light (which was in fact the top light fly- down light, he was unaware that the next two fly-down lights were out of action. T-VASIS vertical lights are numbered one to six with No 1 light the top fly-down and No 6 the bottom fly-up light.

Thus, when the pilot adjusted his flight path from what he thought was one dot high to no dots high or low, he assumed that the correct glide slope of three degrees had been attained. With no other visual cues available because of the dark night over the ocean his assessment was understandable. In fact, the aircraft was following a two dot high approach since lights 2 and 3 of the fly-down lights were inoperative. The VASIS indication to the pilot was on slope.

On 10 December 2001, a Beech Kingair flown by an RFDS pilot crashed four miles short of the runway at Mount Gambier during the course of a VOR/GPS (DME) arrival at midnight and in light drizzle. The pilot had reported being in the circuit area and would cancel SAR after landing. The ATSB investigation was unable to prove the reason why the aircraft had flown into terrain in the approach configuration. Later it was revealed the T-VASIS at Mount Gambier was notorious for giving erroneous glide slope signals during weather conditions of mist or light rain and where dew bulb and dry bulb temperatures were close to each other. In fact, they were on the night of the accident.

During an ILS at Manila, a 737 flown by the writer, became visual at three miles and noted the T-VASIS light signals were quite confusing. Both undershoot and overshoot signals were showing with the bar signals having some lights red and others white or simply missing. The light signals made no sense whatsoever.
The crew reported the problem to ATC who replied that they were aware of recent earth tremors that had affected the alignments of various light boxes. No NOTAMS were issued. When it was suggested by the 737 crew that the T-VASIS should be turned off until the problem was rectified, the reply by ATC was that local ATC Standing Orders required the T-VASIS be turned on for all jet arrivals.:eek:

PAPI lights are not immune to certain weather conditions where moisture-laden air can affect light rays. While landing in heavy rain is difficult because of rain refraction on the windshield, the availability of a VASIS of some sort is vital. However pilots should be aware that instances of erroneous light signals are known to have happened both due to weather conditions and human factors. It is therefore good airmanship to be aware of why false light signals may occur particularly at uncontrolled airports where daily inspections may not be conducted.

Finally from the sublime to the ridiculous. In December 1971, Cyclone Althea severely damaged airport infrastructure at Townsville. Water flooded the aerodrome and damaged the T-VASIS installations. The decision was made to completely replace all light boxes and a few weeks later a DCA F27 navigation aid calibration aircraft was sent to Townsville from Melbourne to conduct in-flight tests of the T-VASIS. Part of the flight test schedule included level flight at 800 feet from three miles back to over the runway, in order to assess the correct progression of T-VASIS signals from three red dots undershoot (1.9 degrees) to three dots overshoot. At the completion of the first run, the two pilots looked at each other with amazed looks with one saying "Did you see what I saw?"

What they had seen was instead of the three red undershoot lights at the start of the run at 800 feet and three miles from the runway, they saw the three white overshoot lights. It turned out that in the days earlier when the driver of the vehicle who laid down each light box in the space where the previous lights had been located, he inadvertently put them down for the reverse runway. T-VASIS for Runway 19 instead of those for Runway 01.:D

PLovett
21st Sep 2014, 13:26
While flying out of Tennant Creek I had occasion to do several night landings there. The main runway (07/25 by memory) had T-VASIS lights fitted. I soon became aware not to trust them after finding myself low one night with over a mile to run to the threshold. The area is subject to earth tremor movement and the lights would soon be out of alignment (a common problem with T-VASIS as the boxes are all separate). As the majority of my approaches there were visual circling approaches I used to use height/time/distance to judge the turning points and then trust my visual appreciation of the runway lights.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
22nd Sep 2014, 00:48
What they had seen was instead of the three red undershoot lights at the start of the run at 800 feet and three miles from the runway, they saw the three white overshoot lights. It turned out that in the days earlier when the driver of the vehicle who laid down each light box in the space where the previous lights had been located, he inadvertently put them down for the reverse runway. T-VASIS for Runway 19 instead of those for Runway 01.

I find that a bit hard to believe. T-VASIS boxes were not runway specific. Internally they were pretty much the same, just a system of blades and filters differing depending on their position in the array, but only some had the red filters in. When installing, they were initially aimed using a calibrated aiming board. The possibility that the fly down boxes could have been initially aimed that low is non existant imo, and ditto for the possibility that the fly down boxes were installed in the fly up position. When setting them up it is obvious if they are fly ups or fly downs.

Centaurus
22nd Sep 2014, 01:46
I find that a bit hard to believe.

I agree - we did too. I was one of the two pilots flying the F27 that day and there is no doubt at what we saw. Both pilots were very experienced with the DCA Flying Unit and had calibrated many T-VASIS around Australia. At the time of the event described we were told by the ground servicing technicians that the light boxes had been carried to each site on a vehicle and incorrectly sited. Allowing for the time lapse of some 41 years since that event, the memory can play tricks but one never forgets the shock we had of seeing T-VASIS showing 3 dots overshoot when it should have been 3 dots overshoot.

Once the defect was rectified we further flight tested the T-VASIS on that runway (01) and it was OK. When we later tested runway 19 there were red lights when there should not have been. The crews on the ground then examined the T-VASIS lights and discovered salt water spray from the nearby coast had somehow impinged on the red filters or the light lens which in turn caused erroneous light indications to an aircraft on final approach. .

Fieldmouse
22nd Sep 2014, 03:53
We found that the biggest cause of errant signals was 'washing out' of the red filters which need fairly frequent replacement and best replaced as a job lot for consistency of signal. We often responded to a report of a box error and traced it immediately to a red filter with very little tint left, consequently showing white.

josephfeatherweight
22nd Sep 2014, 04:20
I have noticed a few times flying into Canberra that the T-VASIS can indicate a 1 dot high approach and the other side show a 1 dot low at the same time. I now make that the challenge to see if I can keep both all the way down the approach.

Yes the T-VASIS on 17 is not great - I see the same thing - I think one side disappears completely eventually and the other remains?

Unusual-Attitude
22nd Sep 2014, 04:27
Try the ones on 14L at pom. On GS, but papi's giving on the left 2 white, 2 red, on the right 1 right, 3 red. :}

PPRuNeUser0161
22nd Sep 2014, 05:03
I believe the ASIS at MTG in 2001 was a PAPI, happy to be corrected though.

SN

tipsy2
22nd Sep 2014, 07:52
Publishing anything of operational value in Flight Safety Australia is a waste of time.

Its credibility is so lacking as to render it useless.

However Centaurus by bringing the The Blurred Approach article to our attention via PPRuNE you have alerted more people that I expect would have read FSA.

Thank you

Tipsy:ok:

Centaurus
22nd Sep 2014, 08:03

SN

It is a long story so PM me if you are interested in the details. At the time of the RDFS accident it was AT-VASIS. Soon after the accident when it was thought the pilot may have received confusing light signals, a NOTAM was issued and a note in ERSA added for Mt Gambier stated that caution should be used if using the T-VASIS since certain combinations of weather conditions could cause erroneous T-VASIS indications. It was after that accident the decision was eventually made to replace the Mt Gambier T-VASIS with PAPI. Initially the PAPI was not to be used for RPT operations but is cleared now.

Centaurus
22nd Sep 2014, 08:17
have noticed a few times flying into Canberra that the T-VASIS can indicate a 1 dot high approach and the other side show a 1 dot low at the same time. I now make that the challenge to see if I can keep both all the way down the approach.

rmcdonal is offline Report Post

If and when you see conflicting information such as PAPI perceived erroneous indications or navigation aid anomalies, it is best you advise ATC or if no ATC then a report into the Air Services reporting system. Otherwise no one knows about the defect and nothing gets fixed. The problem is pilots are often shy or reluctant to say something officially lest nothing is found to be wrong and they feel a fool for opening their mouth in the first place. :confused:

Andy_RR
22nd Sep 2014, 08:53
Gee, I thought you only crashed when using VASI/PAPI if you had CVD. No need to cross-check with anything with all that colour definition...

MakeItHappenCaptain
22nd Sep 2014, 12:27
Reported that moisture in the PAPI can also refract the colour. (Can't remember the source.)
ERSA specifies turning on the lights at 15nm inbound. (Take note, good NVFR/CIR Flight Examiner question.)
Earlier (15 minutes out) would allow the heat from the bulb to evaporate this moisture by the time a faster aircraft arrives.:ok:

displaced gangster
22nd Sep 2014, 22:40
Additional indication errors can be caused by a light coating of dust on PAPI lights, tends to blur the white and red to a pink. (bauxite mining sites in particular)
Also if smoke/fire and subsequent air mass movement is anywhere near the approach path (not uncommon during dry season) be prepared for sudden and erratic PAPI indications. I have observed 4 reds then 4 whites instantaneously.

My preference during night ops is to conduct a runway aligned instrument approach with appropriate monitoring of all available resources. V/S, DME/ALT scale ect.

Being current and proficient on night nil slope guidance approaches should be mandatory for all.

:O

brissypilot
22nd Sep 2014, 23:48
Gee, I thought you only crashed when using VASI/PAPI if you had CVD.That's what the CASA PMO would have people believe... :ugh:

There's only ever been one reported accident where a pilot's CVD was implicated which involved the crash of a FedEx B727 in Tallahassee in 2002 after flying a PAPI approach. The NTSB's evidence on the subject of colour vision came from a single source whose enthusiasm for promoting more restrictive CVD standards is legendary. Never mind the fact that there were two other colour normal pilots on the flight deck who failed to recognise the dangerously low indications that the PAPI was supposedly meant to be providing.

Dr Arthur Pape has researched this particular accident extensively and has written an article which highlights some major concerns with the 'fail unsafe' nature of the PAPI which proposes an alternative explanation of the reason of the crash.

The Puzzle of the Crash of FedEx Flight 1478: Implications for Colour Vision Standards in Aviation (http://cvdpa.com/images/further_reading/articles/Pape%20and%20Crassini%20The%20Puzzle%20JASAM%202013.pdf)

There were also some interesting scientific studies published years earlier which predicted that this type of accident could occur under certain atmospheric and environmental conditions (the same conditions which were present at the time of the Tallahassee crash):

FAA Technical Center - Evaluation of Precision Approach Path Indicator (http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/ct82153.pdf) - see 'Condensation tests' (pages 19-21 of 88)

Upon energization, diffusion and mixing of the projected colors created a broad "pink" signal which could not be easily interpreted. Correct color signals were restored within 15 minutes after turning the PAPI unit on as the heat from the lamps dissipated the accumulated moisture."The pink signal, as viewed by a pilot, could have been interpreted to be white, giving a false 'fly down' signal. A dangerous condition.FAA CertAlert 02-08: PAPI Operation (http://cvdpa.com/vault-Tallahassee/260169%20-%20FAA%20PAPI%20Cert%20Alert.pdf)

Because external PAPI lenses, used to improve light signals, are exposed to ambient weather conditions, the possibility of dew and/or frost forming on the outside of the glass becomes a concern when the units are not operated continously. In particular, a PAPI unit operating in the "off" mode for an extended period of time during the evening hours could accumulate a level of environmental contaminants (eg. dew or frost), which may not dissipate sufficiently to ensure correct light signals after pilot activation.(Interestingly, this CertAlert was issued some 5 months AFTER the FedEx crash)

Australian Department of Defence - Hazards of Colour Coding in Visual Approach Slope Indicator Systems (http://cvdpa.com/vault-Research/Hazards%20of%20Colour%20Coding%20in%20Visual%20Approach%20Sl ope%20Indicators.pdf)

Conclusions

Colour coding as a primary cue is almost universally condemned in the ergonomics literature, and an examination in this report of the numerous factors which act to degrade the reliability of colour-coded primary signals from VASIS supports the view that neither Red-White VASIS nor PAPI should be used in air transport operations. Apart from reasonably common circumstances which render colour-coded signals from these aids as unreliable. eg. atmospheric conditions and windshield and projection optics scattering, there is a strong prima facie case that the signals, through combinations of physical and physiolgical circumstances which are not rare, can become sufficiently misleading to be hazardous. T-VASIS has a shape/pattern coding as its primary cue and its colour coded extreme 'fly-up' warning signal is secondary and usefully redundant and the system is therefore failsafe in all conditions, including those in which Red-White VASIS and PAPI are hazardous. Therefore it is strongly recommended that VASIS such as Red-White VASIS and PAPI which use colour differences as the primary signal code should not be used for routine operations by military aircraft in Australia. It is suggested that Transport Australia should consider extension of this recommendation to civil aircraft routine operations in Australia and that representations should be made for ICAO to reject the use of Red-White VASIS and PAPI in international air transport operations.

Centaurus
23rd Sep 2014, 07:37
I find that a bit hard to believe. T-VASIS boxes were not runway specific

That is perfectly understandable on reflection. Just talked to one of the DCA T-Vasis techs of that era and he recalled the incident. I was wrong as it turned out (blame the advancing years) It was nothing to do with individual runways. The boxes that were reversed were the Runway 01 vertical boxes 1 to 6. Hence the first (top) overshoot light called No 1 was inadvertently placed on the concrete base of the one of the undershoot lights. Box No 2 and 3 lights same thing. They became the undershoot lights. Of course passing through the 3 degree slope the view from the pilot's seat was normal.

Centaurus
23rd Sep 2014, 08:16
While we are on the subject of VASIS in general (having strayed away from the article about rain blurring of windscreens), I recall flying a 737 into Bonriki airport, Tarawa, Kiribati. The runway was crushed coral and very rough. In those days (1977) there was no VASIS even though 727,737 and turbo-props operated through there. One day one of the Air Nauru pilots returned from Tarawa saying there is a new type of VASIS in place at one end but that it brought him very low.

Later, a NOTAM was issued by the Kiribati DCA saying the VASIS was operational and we assumed it had been flight tested by a navaid calibration aircraft. Wrong, as it turned out. I flew there and used the VASIS which consisted I think of a simple two light system - red and white single point lights. Having done a lot of T-VASIS calibration testing in DCA I had the feeling this particular VASIS was dodgy.

It turned out the local DCA had been conned into buying it from somewhere and by trial and error set it up. I understand it was a very ancient and primitive light system that looked like a pillar box for letter posting. But at least the Kiribati government could boast of VASIS for jet aircraft. After more reports from Air Nauru pilots that it brought aircraft in at a very flat angle the chief pilot of Air Nauru banned its use by company pilots. A letter from the chief pilot of Air Nauru to DCA Tarawa was sent asking if the Tarawa VASIS had been officially calibrated. The reply was that it had not been officially calibrated but that Air Pacific crews had said "it looked OK.":eek:

Eventually there were enough complaints by visiting pilots to convince Kiribati authorities to can the VASIS. It was dismantled and dumped in a shed on Bonriki airport. During one trip to Tarawa I had a look at the VASIS and it looked like a red painted Dalek sitting in a dark corner of the shed with wires and big spiders hanging all around it. I felt rather sorry for the creature but not for the spiders who lived in it. .

A few months passed and I again flew into Tarawa from Nauru. One of our passengers was an American FAA official on a tour of various airport facilities in the Pacific islands. I told him about the mysterious Dalek type VASIS installation dumped in the nearby shed. He had a look at it and got quite excited saying it would make a good museum piece for the FAA. Rumour had it that he had negotiated a sum of money with the local DCA because next we knew the Dalek VASIS had mysteriously vanished from the shed. I presume it now rests in a FAA Museum somewhere.

I still have that Kiribati Notam as a souvenir of that era. And still marvel at the all so innocent statement; " that the VASIS had not been officially calibrated but that Air Pacific crews had said "it looked OK.":ok:

josephfeatherweight
23rd Sep 2014, 08:27
Centaurus,I really love your stories! You should write a book! Thanks for taking the time to share your tales... :ok:

UnderneathTheRadar
23rd Sep 2014, 17:42
ummmm You should write a book! - he has! Very enjoyable read by one of aviations finest gentlemen.

Tall Tails of The South Pacific by John Laming (Paperback) - Lulu (http://www.lulu.com/shop/john-laming/tall-tails-of-the-south-pacific/paperback/product-6006188.html)

JammedStab
24th Sep 2014, 22:08
Have seen some PAPI problems in cold climates as well(if that is any concern on this forum;)). Snow clearing vehicles operated improperly can cause faulty display signals if the snow or the vehicle strikes the PAPI unit.

As well, in very cold temps frost can form on the PAPIS causing the red to appear pinkish which could be interpreted as being high on approach. A solution to this was a requirement for airport operators at remote airports with lighting that is not continuously in operation to leave the PAPI units continuously operating so that heat would prevent frost buildup.

From the FAA...

"This is to advise airport operators of the possibility of light signal interruption from PAPI units not operated continuously, e.g., those units activated through the use of pilot-controlled-lighting (PCL) systems.

Because external PAPI lenses, used to improve light signals, are exposed to ambient weather conditions, the possibility of dew and/or frost forming on the outside of the glass becomes a concern when the units are not operated continuously. In particular, a PAPI unit operating in the “off” mode for an extended period of time during the evening hours could accumulate a level of environmental contaminants (e.g., dew or frost), which may not dissipate sufficiently to ensure correct light signals after pilot activation.

To preclude environmental contamination of PAPI lenses along with possible lighting signal interruption associated with limited dissipation of any dew/frost FAA recommends the following:

At airports where PAPI units are activated when needed and thus are not operated continuously, change airport lighting circuitry to ensure PAPI’s are preset to operate continuously on a low power setting, either 5 percent or 20 percent of full intensity as necessary for local site conditions."

Also....

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/nationalops-audinspmon-program-safetycirculars-archived-1998002a-180.htm

Howard Hughes
26th Sep 2014, 13:00
As said earlier it was an AT-VASIS in operation in 2001. I personally witnessed on numerous occasions, three lights fly up and three lights fly down at the same time, particularly during ground fog/drizzle conditions. :eek:

I can't remember exactly when the PAPI went in but it wasn't until sometime later, possibly 2003/2004?