PDA

View Full Version : Why no new destinations by Qatar and Emirates?

newscaster
21st Sep 2014, 08:48
QR have only announced Asmara so far, nothing from EK do either plan on announcing more routes like Etihad have?

blaggerman
21st Sep 2014, 09:09
Both QR and EK have fully completed their expansion plans and will add no more destinations.

kumul1
21st Sep 2014, 09:27
Maybe Boeing and Airbus are not delivering fast enough.:E

v4city
21st Sep 2014, 09:55
Any idea on how their full business class 320 is doing?

atakacs
21st Sep 2014, 11:24
Missed that one - on which destinations are they flying them?

fatbus
21st Sep 2014, 11:29
Where do you guys get this stuff?

360BakTrak
21st Sep 2014, 13:24
Any idea on how their full business class 320 is doing?

If you mean the QR one it's an A319 on the LHR route, not sure on load figures.

Both QR and EK have fully completed their expansion plans and will add no more destinations.

You mean this year or permanently?! Fairly sure QR have more routes on the way!

ChillinInTheDesert
21st Sep 2014, 13:36
And fairly sure EK will have more new destinations on the way too. Might not be next week or next month…..

v4city
21st Sep 2014, 14:18
Thanks 360bakTrack on your kind info

west atc
21st Sep 2014, 14:59
Correct me if I'm wrong but for Emirates:
Brussels - September 5
Oslo - September 2
Chicago started in August plus Boston, Taipei and Kiev this year.

I suppose they don't have any more announced at the moment but surely all 3 airlines will continue expanding.

Not sure what the point of this thread is...

Capn Rex Havoc
21st Sep 2014, 15:01
EK- Budapest in October I believe.

fliion
21st Sep 2014, 15:09
Yawn...

Not to mention Abuja, Kano (since suspended), & multiple on the freighter - ATL, MEX, ZAZ, BSL etc

So what's that? 11?

Newscaster eh....

Now there's an oxyMORON.

f.

Airmann
21st Sep 2014, 17:51
Qr Ceo has publicly stated that airline will stabilize at around 170 destinations. Expect to see new destinations when 350s and 380s start arriving on a consistent basis, that means probably end of this year beginning of next. Expect to see more US.

fliion
21st Sep 2014, 18:20
Last month Sir TC said in a Podcast interview on ICE with the perennial English interterviewer who is the default channel when you don the headsets - that EK could add 100 new flights based on additional frequencies & new cities today and still make money with on our cost/revenue model....obviously subject to more liberal Open Skies.

He said The issue is purely current available lift combined with aero politics.

And you know what...I believe him.

China, Canada, Germany to start ..then add the others..

Pending confirmation on Miami, Stansted, Helsinki, Atlanta & Bali through either CGK or SIN

f.

v4city
22nd Sep 2014, 01:37
@Airmann

Correct me if I am wrong. In his interview I think he said the company will stabilise by around 170 to175 aircrafts and there was no comment on the number of destinations

Macrohard
22nd Sep 2014, 03:13
v4city - you are wrong. The fleet is already well past that number.
Google is your friend.

v4city
22nd Sep 2014, 03:18
@Macrohard

I had a check on their fleet size and I found it to be 129 aircrafts. From pilot career Centre website

Airmann
22nd Sep 2014, 04:45
@v4city you are probably right. Well that's all from me folks.

Macrohard
22nd Sep 2014, 05:38
From Emirates own website ...

Aircraft
(As of 24th August 2014)
In service
(214 pax + 13 freighters)

As I said, Google is your friend ......

777boyindubai
22nd Sep 2014, 05:56
Hey Flion,

Timi and EK aren't exactly popular in Canada. Or Germany. Things not looking great for EK in China.

EK's profile and those of the other Gulf majors have been raised in aero political circles. Not for the right reasons.

Interesting times ahead.

v4city
22nd Sep 2014, 06:00
Airmann and me was talking about QR not EK

Thanks

PanAmFalcon
22nd Sep 2014, 06:09
They are already flying where ever it is possible to do so. The airlines are running on full capacity, the only thing left to do is to increase the frequency and perhaps add a few more destinations here and there.It's not very satisfying having deep pockets since you cannot come up with original ideas to make more money.They just expanded way too fast.Nothing much exciting left.Oman Air and Gulf Air in my opinion are 2 very interesting cases for most aviation enthusiasts for a lot of reasons.

Soft Altitude
22nd Sep 2014, 07:13
Am afraid I'm gonna be a bit off topic here but, Pan Am, would you care to elaborate on the last part of your post; why would GF be an interesting case for aviation enthusiasts ? Is it because of how GF proved how a giant can become a dwarf or is there something about GF others do not know or you believe GF has something up its sleeve ? Thanks, Cheers.

ItsMeFromEarth
22nd Sep 2014, 09:22
They tried to keep GF alive for years, injecting Zillions, they did cause it was the symbol of 4 Arab countries working together, GF was never a giant it was always a dwarf on steroids

TwoTone-7
22nd Sep 2014, 15:28
There's always Canada to venture into someday, if it happens.

EK can easily add another 25 destinations and for QR perhaps 45 ahh and the unmentionable airline, best not to mention.

west atc
22nd Sep 2014, 16:03
I had a check on their fleet size and I found it to be 129 aircrafts. From pilot career Centre website

Qatar fleet - 134 aircraft. (Aircraft is the plural of aircraft). 1 aircraft, 2 aircraft etc.

Again, what is the point of this thread apart from butchering the English language.

Airmann and me was talking about QR not EK :ugh:

Calmcavok
22nd Sep 2014, 18:29
Again, what is the point of this thread apart from butchering the English language.

For the true pedant, I think that sentence should have ended with a question mark (?).

Flytdeck
23rd Sep 2014, 00:26
>>For the true pedant, I think that sentence should have ended with a question mark (?).<<

A period is permitted if the question is rhetorical rather than a query.

To thread: There are three or four A380s arriving at QR prior to the end of the year so imagine that will free up some B777s to increase frequency on some routes.

The QR cargo fleet recently added two more destinations.

PanAmFalcon
23rd Sep 2014, 04:35
Am afraid I'm gonna be a bit off topic here but, Pan Am, would you care to elaborate on the last part of your post; why would GF be an interesting case for aviation enthusiasts ? Is it because of how GF proved how a giant can become a dwarf or is there something about GF others do not know or you believe GF has something up its sleeve ? Thanks, Cheers.
A dwarf is a very kind word for an airline that used to be the regions finest to the region's idiot. Gulf Air plans on a comeback.Not as ambitious as the big 3 but to be a profitable airline once again and work its way up through it.For years,CEOs and the gulf countries have tried to revive the airline but failed. So it would be an interesting company to see become sustainable and begin expanding once more without massive capital injection.They actually may actually have something up their sleeves but I do not think that they have anything that can Challenger the big 3.
All I know is that after the airline proves to be sustainable, a Saudi someone plans to invest heavily in Gulf Air once the shares go public.

They tried to keep GF alive for years, injecting Zillions, they did cause it was the symbol of 4 Arab countries working together, GF was never a giant it was always a dwarf on steroids
I agree but that's not the case anymore.The reason they had to keep the airline afloat was because they needed an airline and that top officials were also robbing the airline. It's a surprise that GF managed to stay alive after the corruption and mismanagement.It used to be one of the most profitable airlines in the world at a point. A short point but a point never the less!

Emma Royds
23rd Sep 2014, 07:01
PanAmFalcon:

They are already flying where ever it is possible to do so. The airlines are running on full capacity, the only thing left to do is to increase the frequency and perhaps add a few more destinations here and there.It's not very satisfying having deep pockets since you cannot come up with original ideas to make more money.They just expanded way too fast.Nothing much exciting left.Oman Air and Gulf Air in my opinion are 2 very interesting cases for most aviation enthusiasts for a lot of reasons.

There are many more cities that could be added to the EK network in the years ahead. Sir TC claims that he can rattle off nearly 100 that are yet to be served. Getting the diplomatic niceties out of the way first, could well be the biggest hurdle.

fliion
23rd Sep 2014, 07:51
TC says US expansion to increase from 7% to a third of revenue:

Arabian Business article:

Emirates said to eye new US routes to boost revenue - ArabianBusiness.com (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emirates-said-eye-new-us-routes-boost-revenue-565524.html)

He has previously mentioned MIA ATL PHL EWR DTW... Beyond that speculation. Look for additional LAX.

f.

QatarA340
24th Sep 2014, 06:10
QR has not announced NEW destinations, but at least three destinations are being served nonstop now, requiring additional aircraft usuage-- Capetown, Bali, and Phuket. VIE has been upgraded to a 787, plus Moscow soon. I would expect more A32X destinations announced soon. Maybe the long awaited LAX, SFO, or the never-coming SYD.

Xulu
24th Sep 2014, 15:16
What about Las Vegas? I would of thought it was a logical route to establish.