PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for PPL

chick
20th Sep 2001, 18:16
Hi everyone,
I am soon off to the States to take a PPL. I am sure I read somewhere that I needed holiday insurance for 'dangerous sports'! Is this right? and if so does anyone know where I can aquire some and how much for?
Thanks! :)

SKYYACHT
21st Sep 2001, 12:19
Hi Chick,

I would thoroughly recommend taking some medical insurance to the US. I have built hours there for many years and whilst everything is fine, the peace of mind is worth it. Flying is not "Dangerous Sports" but the standard medical insurance have exclusions if you are "Flying as aircrew". You need the standard medical insurance with a policy extension to cover flying as aircrew. I normally use Pentagon Insurance in either Jersey or Guernesy - I forget which. They normally offer cover with a company called Holmans, and world wide for the year, including flying risks is about £90.00 - money well spent. Check the web or the back pages of Pilot magazine.

Enjoy the flying

Tailwinds

Land After
21st Sep 2001, 13:38
Not so!

Most holiday policies specifically exclude GA. A standard exclusion:

The following sports and activities are not covered: American football; boxing;... flying (other than as a fare paying passenger in a licensed passenger carrying aircraft)....

Many insurers will allow GA for an additional fee, but you will need to deal direct. I'd be wary of aircrew insurance if you haven't got a commercial licence.

More worrying is the curret restrictions on GA in the US.

SKYYACHT
26th Sep 2001, 20:12
Land After - Yes, I accept that my words could be misinterpreted....My GA cover actually does use the words that you quote for the exclusion, and the extra cover clause on the policy gives the following wording....

"In consideration of the additional premium having been paid, the flying of light aircraft is included subject to the following...

Exclsion of aerobatics and racing
Flight Training
Tuition

Unless an extra appropriate premium has been paid"

So used to using the words aircrew.....I know what you mean about the PTT and now also the QWERTY!

Tailwinds