PDA

View Full Version : UAV's in suburbia

airspace alpha
18th Sep 2014, 00:19
Take a look at this Youtube video:
Beaumaris Concourse Car Show 2014 - YouTube

Beaumaris Concourse car show last Sunday. Great day out, fantastic cars, sunshine and friendly cafes from which to watch the passing throng.

But................
As far as I know this guy is CASA licensed so presumably he runs to a set of rules. But to my un-tutored eye I can see power lines, trees, cables and all manner of things that can bring this machine down onto an unsuspecting kids head (and there were plenty of them there) or even MY head. I looked up and the thing was directly over me. Great shots from a height as well. hmm. isn't the Baywest NDB approach right over Beaumaris?
Comments anyone?

Squawk7700
18th Sep 2014, 01:24
As far as I know this guy is CASA licensed so presumably he runs to a set of rules.

Assumption is the mother of all evil.

isn't the Baywest NDB approach right over Beaumaris?

An aircraft on the NDB would have more to worry about than a small UAV if they are down that low.

I looked up and the thing was directly over me.

Every morning I look up and see an A380 flying over my suburb.

It's all about risk and luck. If your time is up, it's up I guess :\ :ok:

IBMJunkman
18th Sep 2014, 01:47
I would like one of these but I think near an airport they should be treated like lasers. Basically prohibited.

Wunwing
18th Sep 2014, 02:01
Under what legal basis can they fly over private property? Licensed aircraft are covered over private property under numerous acts but what act covers UAVs and for that matter model aircraft?

Wunwing

OZBUSDRIVER
18th Sep 2014, 02:01
Photographically speaking....not the best footage on-line by a long stretch.

Who is to say the guy ticked all the boxes according to the rules of his AOC. Just because he is there and you are there doesn't equal a dangerous operation.

neville_nobody
18th Sep 2014, 02:59
Under what legal basis can they fly over private property? Licensed aircraft are covered over private property under numerous acts but what act covers UAVs and for that matter model aircraft?

We don't have private property in Australia so you won't be able to prevent drones overflying your house

flyinkiwi
18th Sep 2014, 03:05
I was privy to a rather heated discussion on the topic over this side of the ditch.

The way things stand at the moment, there is a massive legal grey area between private model flying and commercial UAV ops in which people are getting away with things that a GA outfit attempting the same would get hung drawn and quartered for.

There are various forces in play putting pressure on the CAA to bend their decision making in their favour so that they can do what they want.

The CAA seem to be either paralyzed or they are not working fast enough to put something together to regulate this, as the situation is likely to get out of control, if it hasn't already. I feel sorry for them because enforcement of any regs is likely to be all but impossible.