PDA

View Full Version : C208 Type rating

havick
17th Sep 2014, 09:18
Hi guys/gals,

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get a C208 type rating carried out? Perhaps an instrument proficiency check at the same time but not essential.

I have lots of turbine time rotary and some fixed wing. Current helicopter CIR-ME but lapsed fixed wing.

Planning to help out with some meat bombing in my time off from rotary flying.

Willing to travel anywhere. Part61 has now made things a little more difficult.

Cheers.

falconx
17th Sep 2014, 09:29
West wing
Seair pacific
Sydney seaplanes

havick
17th Sep 2014, 09:40
Aren't they car217 organizations though? Who's the flight examiner that can sign off on the type rating? With part61 the days of getting any instructor to carry out the training and then a delegate to sign a sticky label is long gone.

manymak
17th Sep 2014, 10:00
C208 doesn't have its own specific type rating. Although the legislative instrument associated with Part 61 (CASA 186/14 - Prescribed aircraft, ratings and variants for CASR Part 61 Instrument 2014 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2014L01166)) says you need to undertake initial training and flight review. This can be done by an appropriately qualified flight instructor. What syllabus you follow for this training I'm not sure of. Maybe someone who has knowledge of the new MOS can help.

havick
17th Sep 2014, 10:51
Thanks jack, just responded

MakeItHappenCaptain
17th Sep 2014, 16:01
I can sort you out in Brisbane. Also have latest Flightsafety stuff as well (tks variants). Manymak is right, under the new rules, the C208 has specific requirements.

airwolf117
19th Sep 2014, 03:13
Seair does one for about $6k and I've heard good things about them.

havick
19th Sep 2014, 05:10
Yeah but is Seair a part 141 or 142 training organisation or are they conducting their type ratings under CAR217 for employees? I don't work for them or intend to so can't do my rating under CAR217.

Besides, 6k is a bit ridiculous for a 208 rating anyway.

aeromatt
19th Sep 2014, 06:16
Does it need to be a part 141/142 school? Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe you would need to go to a 141/142 school for a type rating but the C208 isn't a "type rating", just training and a proficiency check (which I guess surmounts to a type rating without being called a type rating). :ugh:

havick
19th Sep 2014, 06:21
Essentially what I'm trying to say is there anyone out there that can conduct C208 rating and the relevant flight review/proficiency check that is not doing it under CAR217?

OCTA
19th Sep 2014, 13:15
Sydney Seaplanes can do it.

They have a CAR217 but also all the Checkies are independent examiners allowing outside prof checks.

Talk to them they will sort it out.

OCTA

CYHeli
20th Sep 2014, 23:40
One of the problems with the new regs is the need for tests vs need for a flight review. The C208 is in the SE class rating. Under 61.750 you need training and a flight test to have the SE class rating issued for the first aircraft Make/Model within that class.

After that, to add a subsequent make/model to the SE class you then require training on that make/model and a flight review (revision to see if you have taken in the training, is how I like to describe the process) as per 61.747.

When you read these two (out of sequence) sections, you can see one is how to have the class rating granted, the other is for the holder of a rating to exercise the privileges of the rating.

ruddegar
21st Sep 2014, 02:27
Royal aero club of wa can offer c208 endorsements and I believe ACFT at jandakot will also be doing so in the near future.

Elevator Driver
27th Mar 2015, 03:59
Now that we're a few more months down the track from the implementation of the wonderful part 61...

So far it seems Vortex and Seair are able to, Does anyone know of anymore operators able to provide C208 training?

OCTA
27th Mar 2015, 08:05
The above list is still applicable

zac21
27th Mar 2015, 08:43
Not if you want a professional endorsement it's not,,maybe you just want a cheapie?
These guys at Seair Pacific have been doing it for a long time, and operate many Caravans themselves. I have seen too many 'el-cheapo's' that are not worth two bob.:ugh:

fencehopper
27th Mar 2015, 08:48
If you plan to do some skydiver driving then you may as well go see Bowie at skydive the beach Woolongong. Probably could go anywhere you want then. Bowie has around 18 drop zones now.
Get onto the APF and do your jump pilot endo too.

Defenestrator
28th Mar 2015, 07:13
Adam at Sydney Seaplanes can sort you out.

thorn bird
29th Mar 2015, 10:07
err in the US you don't need a type rating.

nibbio86
25th May 2015, 02:44
C208 doesn't have its own specific type rating. Although the legislative instrument associated with Part 61 (CASA 186/14 - Prescribed aircraft, ratings and variants for CASR Part 61 Instrument 2014) says you need to undertake initial training and flight review. This can be done by an appropriately qualified flight instructor. What syllabus you follow for this training I'm not sure of. Maybe someone who has knowledge of the new MOS can help.

Do you get a "C208" entry on a Part 61 licence because of schedule 12 of CASA 186/14? I just received my new licence, called CLARC and the person at the other end of the line said you don't. But if you need a flight review for it, shouldn't there be an entry on the licence similar to the one I had on the CAR 5?:rolleyes:

QFF
25th May 2015, 10:49
No, you don't get a C208 rating as it is covered under the SEA (<5,700kg) class rating. It is not even mentioned in the section XII Flight review and Proficiency Check tables - all you get is an endorsement by the FE that you have done an SEA flight review. The fact that it is done in a C208 is recorded in your logbook and that is what you would use to prove you have done the flight review under CASR 61.747

But check that you have got GTE (+ PXS if you fly a pressurized turbine) under Design Feature Endorsements to make sure you are legal.

That is what FCL/CLARC told me.

theSOD
25th May 2015, 13:17
If you're looking into parachute ops then I would recommend doing the endo at Ramblers. They have a c208 at their Toogoolawah DZ. CP out their is a nice bloke named John and said the rating would cost around 4.5K

nibbio86
25th May 2015, 13:18
Thanks QFF, I have GTE and PXS on the new licence.
Reading 61.747 clarified a bit.
Here is an extract relevant to anybody who held a C208 endorsement (or for that matter King Air 200, Conquest, etc.) before the 1st September 2014:

61.747 Limitations on exercise of privileges of class ratings in certain aircraft—flight review

(1) The holder of an aircraft class rating is authorised to exercise the privileges of the rating in an aircraft of a type mentioned in subregulation (2) only if the holder has:
(a) completed the flight training mentioned in subregulation (3) for the aircraft type; and
(b) successfully completed a flight review in:
(i) an aircraft of the type; or
(ii) an approved flight simulator for the flight review.

(2) For subregulation (1), the aircraft types are prescribed in an instrument under regulation 61.062.

(3)..............

(4) The holder of a class rating that was granted on the basis of regulation 202.272 is taken to meet the requirement mentioned in subregulation (1) for a type of aircraft if, immediately before 1 September 2014, the holder held an aircraft endorsement that was in force for the type of aircraft.

The instrument mentioned in subregulation 2 above is CASA 186/14.

What really strikes me as a vicious circle is that the only way to show anybody (a potential employer, FOI etc.) that you satisfy subregulation 4 above is to show the logbook with the appropriate sticky label or the old CAR 5 licence.
For this reason I'm going to hold on to the old licence and carry it with me together with the Part 61 one.
Why CASA can't simply write it as an endorsement of the SEA class rating escapes me.