PDA

View Full Version : Facts

wallup
20th Sep 2001, 13:38
Whilst agreeing with MJRs sentiment on another thread about things being more important than career objectives - I do believe that with this being a wannabes forum perhaps we do need to have an "overview" of exactly what has happened so far and what the likely effect is then, despite all the conjecture in other threads, wannabes can make their own decisions. I don't know everything, I just read the papers and what's going on here. I've detailed below what I understand to be the score and posted some questions. Please expand if you know any different. I don't want this to be a thread which leads to accusations and rows, just facts and clarification. Thanks.

The Majors:

BA - laying off 7000 people and a 10% cut in capacity. Make up of those 7000 unknown.

Virgin - laying off 1200 (saw 1800 on the BBC this morning but that may have been a misprint) and grounding the classic fleet. Looks like the A340-600 deal is off too.

BM - All recruitment frozen.

The Regionals:

BACE - is their recruitment still going on? Unlikely given the fact that many experienced pilots will be available from BA/Virgin.

BE - Were cutting capacity anyway, pax figures appear to be holding up.

KLMuk - currently restructuring their fleet, I would imagine they'd sit on their hands for a while.

The Charters:

Britannia - supposed to be recruiting, is this still ongoing?

Airtours - unlikely that we'll see any sponsorship/recruitment from them

Air2000 - were due to announce a sponsorship deal next week - I would imagine that's no longer the case.

JMC - were going to expand the A320 fleet. Again another round of recruitment was due next month - any news?

Low Costs:

Ryanair - stated that the downturn will not affect them, I presume that means expansion is going ahead.

easyJet - again stated the downturn would be good for them, still expanding then?

Go - in the midst of heavy expansion, is this still ongoing, pax figures seem to be holding up well.

Any additions/corrections?

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Sep 2001, 14:01
Britannia recruitment about to be frozen according to my source inside.

I imagine all the low cost operators will have reduced requirements much of which will be met by applicants with heavy jet time and lots of spare woolley pullys...

wallup
20th Sep 2001, 17:53
Forgot another regional - news is Gill ceased trading today :(