PDA

View Full Version : 2nd UK passport. Do you have one?

TwoTone-7
16th Sep 2014, 11:50
Hello folks,

Trust some of you already do. Would appreciate anyone shedding light on obtaining a second UK passport for those living and working in the Middle East and how did you go about obtaining one? The passport office in London are not much help via email and doubt the employer will be unless given a clear roadmap of how to assist.

Many Thanks :)

SloppyJoe
16th Sep 2014, 12:25
Your employer needs to write a letter stating why you need a 2nd passport. As all new passport applications overseas now take up to two weeks they can just say that you still need to work whilst obtaining a new passport. If some visas you need for work require the passport to be sent away this is also cause for a 2nd so you can continue working whilst visa is being processed. It is pretty simple once you have the letter.

TwoTone-7
16th Sep 2014, 12:54
Thanks, was thinking it's as simple as that but in the sand pit, it usually seems simpler than that it is!

parabellum
16th Sep 2014, 23:07
I used to state, "For travel between countries of sectarian, political and/or religious differences" - I had a Bahrain visa and couldn't use that passport for Iran. USA visas take a while to come through so that would be another reason, if you travel, on duty, to the USA.

Dubaian
17th Sep 2014, 08:53
Got one a few years back when I was in Doha (although even then all actual applications were via an office in Germany - you pay DHL charges both ways).
Basic requirement was a letter from employer as others have said. Since I couldn't send my existing valid PP with the application (as I guess most of you can't either) I also needed an attested copy of it. The Embassy arranged that - for a fee.
All went smoothly if not cheaply - 2nd one took about 2 weeks to arrive.

BTW the above applies to UK Passports - other countries may have their own rules.

Beware - it is rumoured that K.S.A. view the holding of a 2nd PP as illegal. Tho' it isn't. Anyone know more about that aspect?