PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructor EASA!

pilotdreamer2
13th Sep 2014, 19:09
Hi,

I'm planing to obtain an EASA Flight Instructor rating and have few questions.

1 - Can I convert my FAA CFI to EASA FI? I have around 700 hours dual given. Unfortunately my FAA CFI has expired (3 years ago)

2 - Do I need to reinstate my FAA CFI first before converting to EASA?

3 - Last question: is it any good idea to have a valid FAA CFI in Europe?

would be grateful if someone can guide me in the correct direction.

Thank you
:ok:

Whopity
14th Sep 2014, 21:00
You cannot convert an ICAO FI Certificate to an EASA FI Certificate however; you can obtain credits for your experience as detailed in CAP 804 Section 1 Part Q Subpart 2 Para 1.6
1.6 ICAO Flight Instructor Rating (A) or (H) holder to Part-FCL FI (A) or (H) Certificate
1.6.1 Complete a course of at least 30 hours of ground instruction at an ATO
1.6.2 Complete a minimum of 15 hours Flight Instruction including a recommendation for test at an ATO
1.6.3 Pass the Part-FCL FI(A) or (H) Assessment of Competence appropriate to the aircraft category.
As the conversion is based upon experience there is no need for the ICAO certificate to be current.
You will need at least an EASA PPL and have demonstrated EASA CPL level knowledge (Not necessary to teach for LAPL).
The FAA CFI certificate may be useful for conducting BFRs

ifitaintboeing
14th Sep 2014, 21:32
As the conversion is based upon experience there is no need for the ICAO certificate to be current.

This information is incorrect. EASA's interpretation of Article 8(2) means that the ICAO licence, rating, or certificate needs to be current at the point of application.

There are already several examples where applications for conversion have been rejected by the UK CAA following a course of training and test because the ICAO licence /rating/certificate was not current.

ifitaint...

Level Attitude
15th Sep 2014, 00:35
EASA's interpretation of Article 8(2) means that the ICAO licence, rating, or certificate needs to be current at the point of application.An interpretation I would fully endorse.
Flight Instructor Rating (A) or (H) holder to Part-FCL FI (A) or (H) Certificate"Current" and "Valid" would be superfluous adjectives.
Someone with an expired Rating does not hold a Rating, they simply hold a souvenir of a qualification they once possessed.

pilotdreamer2
15th Sep 2014, 07:56
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

So I need to get back to US to reinstate my CFI/CFII/MEI and then come back home and complete:
- Complete a course of at least 30 hours of ground instruction at an ATO
- Complete a minimum of 15 hours Flight Instruction including a recommendation for test at an ATO
- Pass the Part-FCL FI(A) or (H) Assessment of Competence appropriate to the aircraft category.

I do hold an EASA ME/IR Frozen ATPL.

I believe doing this would be the cheapest way.

Thank you all! :ok:

S-Works
15th Sep 2014, 07:58
Quote:
This information is incorrect. EASA's interpretation of Article 8(2) means that the ICAO licence, rating, or certificate needs to be current at the point of application.

There are already several examples where applications for conversion have been rejected by the UK CAA following a course of training and test because the ICAO licence /rating/certificate was not current.

ifitaint...

Very true, I just had an FAA to EASA candidate for an IR rejected by the CAA because at the start of the course he had not met FAA recency requirements for the IR. He had to go and get an FAA IPC before the CAA would process the paperwork.

Whopity
15th Sep 2014, 11:39
Thanks for the correction guys, I knew licences and aircraft ratings had to be current but could not find a definitave written answer regarding an FI certificate where the only reference was to "experience."