PDA

View Full Version : Former RAF L1011s for sale

Stevie B
13th Sep 2014, 17:24
Apologies if this has already been covered - updates from the website indicate 09Sep.

http://www.controller.com/list/list.aspx?bcatid=13&Mdltxt=L-1011&mdlx=contains&FullText=L1011&ETID=1&byp=1

Interestingly, the hard copy of the Executive Controller magazine advertises one of the aircraft available with in-flight refuelling capabilities.

Cheapest one advertised for just over £430K GBP

Biggus
13th Sep 2014, 17:32
Already been covered, not that the title helped.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/547244-taking-up-collection.html

CoffmanStarter
13th Sep 2014, 18:00
Quote "Major European Air Force" ... that's the Royal Air Force if you please :ugh:

Always a Sapper
13th Sep 2014, 18:38
They have a nice handy email link... Not that one is expecting an answer to the email asking for them back!

Faithless
13th Sep 2014, 23:40
"that's the Royal Air Force*if you please"......:mad: Please behave... I feel sick :=

Always a Sapper
14th Sep 2014, 15:07
"that's the Royal Air Farce* There, double fixed for you... :E

It just had to be done, sorry... :O Hat 'n' coat please, I believe that's my taxi outside...

Alister101
14th Sep 2014, 17:41
Did those transport aircraft ever have chaff/flare?

Linedog
14th Sep 2014, 19:10
Low mileage, one careful lady driver. Road tax exempt.:ok:

Brian W May
14th Sep 2014, 20:26
Hope the next owners get as much as we did from them.

It got me my licence and several jobs in civvy street thereafter.

Thanks Timmy

thesimtech
15th Sep 2014, 11:05
I love the fact it say "large spare parts inventory" available. :sad:

Tinwacker
17th Sep 2014, 06:40
Did those transport aircraft ever have chaff/flare?

Working for the Queens Airline in the 80's, I was involved with modifications of a Tristar for Her Middle East Jordan Tour. Due to political unrest in the area, some RAF technicians appeared to mount Chaffe/Flare components behind the engine pylons. We were not allowed to be nosey in this matter, but it arrived in what appeared to be a 40gallon drum........the component rear of the pylon had a mirror polished surface - reflecting something !!!!

PS I had the Queens stateroom brown carpet after the Tristar was returned to normal airline standard hehehe

TW

BEagle
17th Sep 2014, 06:59
Tinwacker wrote: Working for the Queens Airline in the 80's, I was involved with modifications of a Tristar for Her Middle East Jordan Tour. Due to political unrest in the area, some RAF technicians appeared to mount Chaffe/Flare components behind the engine pylons.

I was taking tea in the Officers' Mess at Brize in 1983/4 with a chap from 21/6 . We heard the sound of a TriStar doing some ground test; he told me that some boffins were measuring the engines' IR spectrum for HM's Jordan jaunt.

Then we heard the sound of the engine RPM increasing quite rapidly, followed by a thunderous window-rattling bang as the boffins surged the engine. "That sounded expensive", I said - and we went back to our tea and toast.

Minnie Burner
17th Sep 2014, 09:18
Which one of these 'one careful owner' Tristars didn't quite autoland at EGVN/BZZ, a wee while back? :rolleyes:

Wander00
17th Sep 2014, 10:11
I recall one Tri* surging the centre engine at the then still MPA in 1986. To add insult to injury the flight was to return to UK families of those who had died in the battle for the FI, and had been visiting graves. BA engineer claimed engine was seized, until someone persuaded him to rotate the compressor blades rather than one of the static bits at the front. It was decided to ground run the engine that night and OC Eng would do it. Aircraft lined up on the pan and opened up to full chat. Debris and stuff everywhere - duty supplier claimed the Argies were attacking and there were shell holes in the Supply Sqn building, and at least one electrical transformer pillar was blown over. PSA quietly repaired the holes and other damage and there was never any inquiry.

12 twists per inch
17th Sep 2014, 17:25
WTF was OC Eng doing there? It required an engineer, not an Eng Order writer! Eng Officers should not be allowed near aircraft!

The Helpful Stacker
17th Sep 2014, 18:14
WTF was OC Eng doing there? It required an engineer, not an Eng Order writer! Eng Officers should not be allowed near aircraft!

Isn't that pretty much true of all ground trade branch officers?

They're like infants really, keep them busy on nothing tasks and they won't cause any serious problems. Sacrifice some unfortunate to be their admin bod, instruct said bod to keep them plied with tea and biscuits and for god's sake, away from the workers, and things generally work better.

Tengah Type
21st Sep 2014, 21:18
Perhaps he thought he was in a Lightning at Lyneham??