PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating Renewal

mikewil
12th Sep 2014, 02:41
Hi all,

I can't seem to find the area in the new regulations regarding an expired instrument rating.

Previously, your rating was allowed to have expired for 12 months with only the renewal required.

Is this still the case with the new system or will the initial test be required for an expired rating?

A reference in the regs would be good if you know where it is.

Cheers,

Mike

deadcut
12th Sep 2014, 03:40
You would be best to give them a call directly. I call CLARC a few days ago and they were very helpful.

CYHeli
12th Sep 2014, 05:56
Mike,
61.855 denotes the paragraphs for being able to fly under the IFR.
61.880 describes the process/es for proficiency checks.
All the previous renewals are now called proficiency checks.

There is no distinction between not quite expired (within 3 months prior to expiry) or expired for a long time. You just do a Prof Cx to be able to fly IFR.

mikewil
16th Sep 2014, 02:07
You would be best to give them a call directly. I call CLARC a few days ago and they were very helpful.

They were quite unhelpful to say the least.

The response was something like "I think the rules are pretty much the same as before mate regarding the 12 month expiry rule".

They were unable to give me any reference to the current as to where this appears.

This was in plain black and white in the old CAO.

john_tullamarine
16th Sep 2014, 09:14
One would hope that the long-expired rating holder (and I'm in that category these days) would be his/her own toughest critic when it comes to getting back up to speed .. the test, as with all of them, ought only to be a formality in that one just has to jump through the hoops to satisfy the examiner that all is well.

If the standard is not up to that mark, perhaps one ought to head back out with a rated colleague to polish things a bit more before submitting to the test ?