PDA

View Full Version : australian airlines interview

bimbo8
28th May 2002, 11:08
hi guys!
i'm going for an interview on the 9 june in sydney.is there somebody can help me when it comes to accommodation. any tips out there about the registration , interview..
i also want to meet people from melbourne whose flying to sydney for the interview.
i hope to hear from anyone!
cheers,
bimbo8:D

bella75
29th May 2002, 00:43
did i miss something when and where is the australian airlines interview conducted..thanx any help much appreciated
Regards bella75

smile
29th May 2002, 02:36
Bella did you miss out on applying for Australian Airlines??

If you did-- go to their web site because the application information is still up.. (It does say that it was updated on the 23rd of this month-- but you hope they would take it down if all the interview positions were full!!)

I didn't apply for a position with them as I don't feel that I know enough about Asian cultures -- other than Year Ten Social Science class!! But I think that Mrs Float Jockey applied so you may want to prepare with her!!

Good Luck

love SMILE:D

bella75
29th May 2002, 03:40
HELP..tried ringing the recruitment hotline for austrtalian airlines..kept getting recorded message this number is disconnected.. the number i tried ringing 8278 0150.. i am ringing from sydney thanx
egards bella75

cabinboy
29th May 2002, 04:59
bella my contacts tell me that even though the airline will be CNS base, the telephone number has an "08" in front of it.

Give that a try

Regards
Cabinboy

vdd
29th May 2002, 09:32
Hey all

Just wondering if many out there have applied for Aust Airlines? And if you have do you speak an Asian language? I'm wondering if Aust Airlines will manage to get that many Asian speakers.

Anyway, Bella75 go to their website for further info and that number you are trying is an Adelaide number. Aust Airlines can also be found on the White Pages internet site, so you can try their office if you still have trouble with number you are currently trying to call.

Cheers

FloatJockey
29th May 2002, 13:04
Ciao Bella75!

I think the number still works! After you register all your documents, they'll give you a registration number. Then you'll be required to select a location and a date. I hope they still have space in Sydney... It is in a hotel down at Darling Harbour.
I'm going on June 6th at 8:00am.

BTW, they said "preference" will be given to people speaking Asian languages... Frankly I've only been to Singapore a couple of times and except for "Arigato" I'm quite slack with my japanese... Never mind, it's all for a good cause: gaining interviews' experience! Somehow I learned to get over the "Thanks but no thanks" more easily now... :D That's a progress!

Send me an e-mail if you wish!

Mrs. FloatJockey

BDboy
29th May 2002, 14:19
Hi there guys, Im also attending the Australian Airlines interview in Sydney on the 6th of June, look forward to seeing you guys there. I also think that language candidates only have a "preference" as customer service experience and you as a person are a bit more important than languages. I speak Mandarin but have not got a certificate from the Languages school as Im not sure of my fluency, I can only speak conversational, but we will see how we go.

Take care guys and I wish everyone the very best of luck!!!

PVC Pants
2nd Jun 2002, 05:55
Woooohooooo!!! I just had to put my lil bit in also...I have an AA interview in Cairns on June 21st... any other Pprunies have one then? Would love to hear from you. I don't have a second language either (however a number of ex-Ansett International F/A's were only English speaking, so don't be discouraged).

Although a lot of us desperately want one of the 160 F/A positions on offer from AA, I wish all of you all the best :)

Luv "Panties" :D
xxx

kjay
2nd Jun 2002, 12:17
I just want to wish all of you out there going for the AA interviews the best of luck.:D

nickmelb
3rd Jun 2002, 01:05
good luck everyone!

float jockey u 2! sorry floaty i was only in sydney for 4 hours the other day! couldnt catch up! next time im there!

best of luck!

Jerry Attrick
4th Jun 2002, 22:32
Has anyone been to an Australian Airlines recruitment session yet? What do they make you do for four hours?

PVC Pants
5th Jun 2002, 05:01
Hi Jerry Attrick!

I have this info. from someone who attended a recruitment session on the Gold Coast just a couple of days ago. Please bear in mind, this was just one session, however, I guess we all would like to assume they are the same as SYD and CNS sessions. The info. is.....
Very much like a QF interview process, aptitude/psych/personality tests, group activities, very corporate and business like atmosphere and it appeared that the average age of applicants were in the 30's.
This person who attended does not have a 2nd language, however, she was successful in gaining a second interview with AA (found that out on the same day)...good for her :)

You also have to take all those certificates, passports, photos etc etc with you on the day.

Hope that helps you a lil bit Jerry.....and good luck with it all :) I have some friends attending the SYD sessions soon, so I will post more when I get the info.

Luv "Panties"
xxx :D :D :D

Jerry Attrick
5th Jun 2002, 07:29
Thank you "panties" for your valuable information. Bimbo8, I hope you found somewhere to stay in Sydney. Good luck to you and to everyone else who has an interview with Australian Airlines.

FloatJockey
6th Jun 2002, 08:59
Back from the interview.... completely exhausted....
Where do I start from? 5 hours in that room and I feel like if I had been ran over by a truck!!!... :(

Few points:
--------------
1) Bring original AND PHOTOCOPIES of passport/visa, birth certificate, senior first aid, resp. service of alcohol, language diplomas. A passport photo is also required. Don't bother bringing a resume 'cause they won't take it. If you don't have your photocopies, you'll have the pleasure to queue for 30 minutes in front of the reception... (so did I with another 25 people, bu-huu...)
2) A.A. CEO Denis Adams was there! He didn't say anything but it was obvious he had his word when it came to choose the candidates for stage 2... maybe he was just watching pretty girls, that I will never now! :eek:
3) We were abt. 60 people this morning, 12 where "rejected" because of their paperwork or height (they measure you so you can't cheat!). Another 18 or so where called around lunch time and only 30 returned into the room for a psycological assessment after the break. All 30 are booked for a 2nd stage interview early July (panel interview).
4) A.A. received 6000 applications (phone calls). Interviewing 960 people, of which about half will go through stage 2 and only 180 will be hired.
5) There is no preference for ex-Ansett people or fashion' queens... :D Men seem to have same chances as women.
Average is 25-35 years. Asian looking candidates are definitely a minority but I was surprised to find out loads of "traditional Aussies" with fluency Japanese or Mandarin! Well done!
6) Salary is AUD 36'000 / year for cabin crew and 52'000 for cabin manager. 6 weeks leave. Allowances paid at ATO rates. Language allowance is 15 AUD per week per language. NO REBATE ON TRAVEL! Roster 28 days period. 9 days off per month. Duty hour 8-9 per day.
7) The fleet will be 4 x 767-300 series all economy (over 200 seats) and will increase to 12 a/c within 2 years. Even if all the crew will be based in Cairns, a different base will be established within 2 years.
8) Despite the all Y class, A.A. will be a "high value/fare quality Airline" serving in particular large groups from Asia (incentive travel).
9) Other languages than the ones required are welcome, since many European passengers travel to Australia via Singapore. Make sure you mention that! The last question they ask while "registering" you is "do you have any language certificate?". That's were you should take your chance to shine!
10) In case you didn't register for an interview, I suggest you send your resume to the following address (I got it off a letter they give you during a group excersise but I don't know if it is real... worth trying? You decide.):

Cabin Crew Manager
Australian Airlines
Level 3
150 Main Street
Cairns QLD 4870

------------------------------------------------------------------
Now to the interview itself:
1) you can't be wrong with your table 'cause they separate you by letters and by numbers. Letters first, number next. Practically towards the end, you'll have to seat at a different table, with different people and a different facilitator. It sound complicated but it isn't and if I didn't f#*k up myself, then anyone can do it right. It's a good system because you get to be scored by two different moderators instead of one.
2) They introduce A.A., show you a video about a passentger (Mr. Lee) that goes through a lot of krap with the cabin crew. You have to pay attention and observe a lot 'cause you'll have to work on that scenario for about 3 hours, in about every excercise you receive! You'll have a combination of questions and group discussions. There is a lot of paperwork to fill in. NOTHING like the usual questions: "why would u like to become a f/a? what is the role of a f/a? etc." NOP! All about that scenario again and again.
Then you receive a huuuuuuge piece of paper with 7 different problems and you have to write which one is a priority, why, how you deal with it, etc. It is very difficult to say what is right or wrong but not all of us that got through mentioned the same thing so I guess it is not extremely relevant. In general, you have very little time to write down your answers. You have to be quick and sharp at picking up details.
3) While completing all these questionnaires, you'll also have to prepare a scenario and a recruiter will take you out for a chat. Mine was "a new recruit is about to start his training and would like to know how it is to work with asian passengers and deal with problems on board. What would you recommend?". During the 10 minutes chat, I got asked what is different in working with Asian people, what do they expect, how to adapt and what would be in a few words my slogan for Australian Airlines. (That last one is a pain in the brown hole, I tell u! Anyway, I said "Excellent Quality of Service and Safety at all time! She seemed pretty happy with that...).
4) Once over, you swap table, one more scenario with pussed-off passenger Mr. Lee and hop! Out of the room for coffee (at noon!).
45 minutes later they called 12 people out of the bunch and took them appart for the thanks but no thanks thing. We were back in the room to find out we had to spend another bloody hour on psycho/p0ersonality tests.... Naaaaaaaa! This was the cherry on the cake! Anyway, it is good to know BEFORE you go through all that crossword shrink stuff that ANYWAY you get booked in for a stage 2 interview before leaving!

Ok, I think that's about it... I'm gona have a cup of tea now...

Hey folks! GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL! :D :D :D

Mrs. FloatJockey