PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR to EASA IR pre-reqs

this is my username
9th Sep 2014, 05:45
I hold an FAA CPL / IR / ME and am planning to convert to EASA and have completed the ATPL exams. My FAA IR is not current.

Looking at CAP 804 Section 4 Part Q Subpart 2 (I think) says that licences / ratings must be current and valid.

I haven't done any instrument flying for > 2yrs. To get my FAA IR valid I will have to pass an IPC, and that will not doubt require some training before I get up to the required standard. Rather than go around the loop of training to proficiency for the IPC, taking the IPC then doing the IR conversion it would make more sense for me to do whatever training is required for the EASA IR (and take the skills test) then take the FAA IPC before I apply for the licence.

Anyone know if I can do it that way, or does my IR have to be valid before I start the conversion training?

The school I'm planning to use doesn't have an FAA instructor so doing an IPC with them isn't an option - I'm UK based and will be doing the conversion full-time in Europe so going to-and-fro chasing sign-offs isn't an enticing prospect. I will be applying for the licence / rating via the UK CAA.

pilot4eva
9th Sep 2014, 11:13
I converted my FAA SEIR to EASA MEIR in the uk itself!The FAA IR needs to be current before the conversion begins.IR in the UK is a lot different from US....I guess its about 10 hours sim and 5 hours a/c.All the Best its great fun flying IFR in UK:ok:

BigGrecian
9th Sep 2014, 11:43
The IR has to be current prior to the beginning of the training so unfortunately your plan won't work.

There are a couple of FAA CFIIs around in the UK.

this is my username
9th Sep 2014, 12:01
Thanks for the replies - the CFII isn't a problem. I was hoping that I might be able to avoid having to train once for the IPC and again for the EASA conversion, but it appears that isn't possible (and to be honest I didn't think it would be, that would be far too pragmatic!).

Linda Mollison
9th Sep 2014, 12:41
If your FAA IR is current and valid you can take the CBMIR route. This is one of the new IR courses introduced in April this year by EASA. If you have more than 50 hours IFR PIC you can take a subset of the CBMIR route which requires no training at all, no need to involve an ATO and no requirement for a recommendation for test.

You can actually book the test directly with flight test bookings at Gatwick.

However, having said all that I would strongly suggest (particularly as you have not flown IFR for a while) that you do at least one flight with an instructor who is experienced at recommending people for the IR skill test. He/she can then tell you whether you should do any more training before attempting the test.

this is my username
10th Sep 2014, 05:11
Hi Linda

CBMIR only really works if you already have an EASA licence to hang it on, which I don't. By the time I've done the CPL it makes more sense to continue doing the IR conversion on the same aircraft rather than going down the CBMIR route.

larsrk
12th Jun 2015, 12:26
Does anyone have a referanse to Part-FCL where it states that the FAA IR has to be current?

ref- "The FAA IR needs to be current before the conversion begins."

BillieBob
12th Jun 2015, 16:36
It's not in Part-FCL, it's in Article 8 of Regulation 1178/2011 which refers to "Applicants for Part-FCL licences [ratings or certificates] already holding the equivalent licence, rating or certificate issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention". In EASA-speak, if a rating or certificate is not valid then it is not 'held'. This is why, when a licence is re-issued, invalid ratings are transferred to an area titled "Ratings previously held".