PDA

View Full Version : Canine pax at LHR

stickandrudderman
8th Sep 2014, 15:40
Hi,
My on-line research tells me that we can take our dog to Croatia on Croatian airlines and that we'll need a crate to go in the hold. There's plenty of info about the crate itself but I can't get to speak to anyone, either at Croatian airlines or Menzies, who can explain to me exactly what the procedure will be when it comes to arriving at the airport.
I can't imagine we simply check her in as baggage?
Can anyone enlighten me please?

PS. I already know that we cannot bring her back via the same route but we'll be driving back.

Dockwell
17th Sep 2014, 12:43
Hi, you would need to send your dog as Cargo, Menzies Cargo or Croatian Ailines Cargo should give you the details you need

ps theres no reason why you cant fly back with the dog the same was as far as Im aware

stickandrudderman
17th Sep 2014, 13:09
Thanks.
We've booked the dog on our flight for an extra 200 euros. Apparently, if the dog weighs less than 8kg it can go in the cabin under the seat but ours, at 12 kg goes in the hold as baggage (in an appropriate crate).
Croatian airlines will not carry pets back to the UK, I've no idea why.

boeingbus2002
22nd Sep 2014, 05:46
You can check pets in when you check in as baggage. This will need to be booked ahead as you've done.
Procedure is different when returning due to UK quarantine rules. You may have to send the dog as cargo. Subject to having all the correct paperwork, you can collect the dog after your arrival. The quarantine station is based near Terminal 4.

stickandrudderman
22nd Sep 2014, 05:52
Thanks,
I'm surprised at how little of this information is available.
The only thing I'm not sure of now is the practicalities of getting to the check-in desk with bags, dog and dog crate but I guess that's our problem.
We're driving back so return trip is easier to sort.
Thanks all for the info, I'm sure someone else will find this thread useful in the future.

Capetonian
22nd Sep 2014, 06:37
Similarly, I was surprised at how little information is available about flying with human remains (ashes). I've been trying to find out for a friend of mine who wants to fly to CPT to scatter his late mother's ashes. A couple of the airlines have clear and comprehensive information on the website but the staff say it's wrong, and others have nothing.

fernytickles
23rd Sep 2014, 02:53
Have you seen all of this info?

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners#routes-and-transport-companies

And this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/protecting-the-welfare-of-pet-dogs-and-cats-during-journeys-advice-for-owners