PDA

View Full Version : Commercial training

ydv8
7th Sep 2014, 20:38
I hold a UK FI rating and also an ATPL, and both those qualifications go back for more years than I'm going to admit to.

Does anyone know what qualifications are needed to lecture on a ground school course for students looking to gain a CPL or ATPL? I stress this is only for students sitting the written examinations (on my part).

Hopefully some kind souls will be able to help me.

:confused:

Genghis the Engineer
7th Sep 2014, 20:57
Groundschool - no formal qualifications, you just need to be accepted by the training provider within their working relationship and approvals with the authority.

As an FI with an ATPL, pretty much the same for flying training as well. It's all basically down to the head of training.

G

ydv8
8th Sep 2014, 14:34
Thank you for replying Genghis.

Perhaps I should have said in my earlier post that I have been approached to work at a new start-up organisation, which has already done PPL training, but they now are looking to get into ab-initio professional licence training.

I suppose my question should have been: what do they do to satisfy the authority about themselves and also their instructors?

Any ideas? :confused:

S-Works
8th Sep 2014, 15:56
We do a knowledge test. Generally a couple of academic presentations on the subjects and a quizz drawn up of questions taken from the knowledge bank.

It's then up to me as Head of training to decide if you are upto standard.

Nothing really onerous. If you want to teach this stuff then you must be happy you know what you are doing in yourself.

BillieBob
8th Sep 2014, 16:53
ORA.ATO.110(c)
Theoretical knowledge instructors shall have:
(1) [a] practical background in aviation in the areas relevant for the training provided and have undergone a course of training in instructional techniques; or
(2) previous experience in giving theoretical knowledge instruction and an appropriate theoretical background in the subject on which they will provide theoretical knowledge instruction

AMC1 ORA.ATO.110(c)
Theoretical knowledge instructors should, before appointment, prove their competency by giving a test lecture based on material they have developed for the subjects they are to teach.

The ATO's means of complying with these requirements should be described in Part D (Personnel Training) of the Operations Manual and will be approved (or not) by the competent authority.