PDA

View Full Version : Another lost logbook story...

harveyst
7th Sep 2014, 12:57
Hello,
I am hoping somebody can help me. I statrted my PPL back in 2008 and got up to 35 hours, but ran out of money to finish off. AS the subject suggests, i now cant find the logbook, but I want to try and pick up where I left off (as much as possible).
Ive read that I can get a signed affidavit, but not sure if thats only if I had the completed licence?
please help me…..or at least tell me i will have to start all over again!!

worrab
7th Sep 2014, 16:43
Flying schools keep a log of their flying showing P1 and the student. Many also keep an individual's flying log as well. One option is to buy a new logbook and fill it in from the training school records.

(For future reference, it's worth photographing the pages from your logbook from time-to-time in case disaster ever happens)

harveyst
7th Sep 2014, 16:59
Thanks, i will try to get hold of my old school - but apparently theyve gone bust…..so thats not good:ugh:

9 lives
7th Sep 2014, 17:19
I would suggest that 35 hours of experience 6 years ago is of modest value at best, toward present day training or licensing. I expect that calendar time limits for credit toward the ground portion have already long expired. If you can get a copy from the flying school, that's great, but don't expect too much credit.

Welcome back to flying, think of your next phase as starting over again, with good experience.

worrab
7th Sep 2014, 18:52
calendar time limits for credit toward the ground portion
Which time limits?

9 lives
7th Sep 2014, 18:58
As I understand it (and I'm not expert at this part) there are calendar limits between flying and ground portions of training, that they cannot be too far apart from each other to write exams. I know that there are some for Canada. The result can be that "old" experience can loose its credit toward a license application.

worrab
7th Sep 2014, 19:30
Doubtless there will be a UK FI along in a minute, but I think in the UK that the limits relate to the time around exams, QXC and final test. Consequently, I suspect that old experience counts towards the n hours minimum. On the other hand quite a lot of the past experience will be forgotten so the OP shouldn't expect the same facility flying the plane as when (s)he left off - whilst the hours may count technically, there is every likelihood that a similar number or more will have to be completed before being ready for the test.

It does raise an interesting question post-test for insurance purposes where some insurers seem to require 100hrs total rather than the more common 100hrs PIC. Presumably the insurers understand the risks better than any of us.

Mach Jump
7th Sep 2014, 19:59
At some point, at the end of your training, someone will have to sign to certify that the total number of hours of training you are claiming is correct. They can only do this, if you can produce some convincing evidence that you flew those hours.

If you can't produce a logbook with the hours certified correct, or a copy of the training record from the school that carried out the training, I'm afraid that they will not count.

MJ:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
7th Sep 2014, 21:02
The hours should count towards the licence, but even if they don't, you don't want to lose them from your total experience as they'll be of value to you later (for example in joining a syndicate where the insurance excess halves when you pass 100hrs).

If your old school has gone bust (sadly, not an uncommon experience) the best bet would be your old instructor - all those flights will certainly be in his or her personal logbook, and any decent person would be prepared to let you have details to allow you to rebuild your logbook. It's really just a case of tracking them down, and if you can remember their name it shouldn't be hard. You may then need to go back to the school to get that certified, or ask the FI to do it personally and provide a letter to the CAA / your new head of training to validate that. A bit irregular, but we're all human beings and most are prepared to be helpful given a chance and a polite question.

I just hope you remember their name - then it should just be a case of asking around local schools, or even here, and I'm sure somebody will be able to put you in touch.

G

AndoniP
8th Sep 2014, 07:08
Personally I'd suggest making sure to keep a digital copy, either by inputting the data into Excel or by using one of those online logbook apps.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Sep 2014, 07:46
Personally I'd suggest making sure to keep a digital copy, either by inputting the data into Excel or by using one of those online logbook apps.

And many of us do - but our chum the original poster needs to solve his original problem before he can start thinking about niceties like that.

G

mad_jock
8th Sep 2014, 08:11
In theory the bust schools training records should have gone back to the CAA.

How long they keep them for is anyone's guess.

harveyst
9th Sep 2014, 21:57
Thanks everyone for the comments! I managed to get hold of the company that took over when my school went bust......and they still had the notes!!!
Thank the lord! Just a case of transferring the old hours and I'm ready to rock and roll again.
Happy times

stickandrudderman
9th Sep 2014, 22:36
Timely:

http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/547191-log-book-spread-sheet.html#post8647953

I would recommend you keep a duplicate of your log book, either by photocopying every time you start a new page or keeping a spread sheet.

Mach Jump
9th Sep 2014, 22:57
...and they still had the notes!!!

Wow That's really lucky. :D Good luck with the rest of your training.:)

MJ:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
9th Sep 2014, 23:14
Hurrah !

G

worrab
10th Sep 2014, 14:20
Brilliant! :)