PDA

View Full Version : Australia Or UK

BWBond
7th Sep 2014, 03:35
Hi

I am about to start training and have to choose between the UK and Australia for my training planning on doing up to CPL with IR. I have just finished my degree in the UK and want to choose the place with the best employment opportunities at the end of training. In my mind this is most likely to be Australia but not sure would be great to hear from people who have been through the system in each country.

whiskey1
7th Sep 2014, 21:58
Can you work in both places?
Do you have a UK and Australian Passport?
That may make the decision for you.

redsnail
7th Sep 2014, 22:10
As whiskey1 has asked, do you have the right to live and work in Australia?
If no, then you'll need to consider a visa and all the fun and games that involves (short version = don't bother if pilot is your only skill).

If so. Riiiight. What sort of flying do you envisage doing after you've completed your CPL and IR with ATPL subjects? Straight into a multi crew environment or some bush flying? Note, you can only "convert" the licence, not the subjects. It is MUCH easier going from EASA to CASA than the other way around.

If you're planning on doing the whole GA thing of some instructing, perhaps some bush flying/charter, moving onto twins and then hopefully getting a crack at an airline, go to Australia. There are not many opportunities in Australia to go straight into a multi crew environment flying something with a modicum of performance.

If that whole thing sounds horrible, stay in the UK and either, pick your way through the rarely advertised regional jobs and hope one day you'll fly for an larger airline (or not, your choice), or get yourself onto a horrendously over priced tagged full time scheme in the UK and bypass all of that and go to an Airbus/Boeing.

Clare Prop
10th Sep 2014, 07:56
Do the UK PPL, come to Australia and hour build then go back to the UK for modular CPL.

Only do the Australian CPL if you have the right to live and work here.

Reports of over 300 applicants for a job flying a 206 will give you an idea of the job market here.

BWBond
13th Sep 2014, 03:36
Thanks for the replies. I have the right to work in both as my parents already live out here so I got permanent residence through them. The logical thing does seem to be to do my training in the UK as the price of flying does seem to be identical if not more expensive in Aus which surprised me. I am in Australia at the moment just seeing what's available and everyone does seem to think there are way too many CPL holders already. Would I be right in thinking that an EASA licence would allow me to fly in most EU countries without having to convert licences as well?

pilotchute
13th Sep 2014, 09:13
Bond,

Flight training is considerably more expensive in the UK. There is another thread on pprune stating that a "cheap" modular school cost a guy 48k pounds and that was in 2010.

You should be able to get a CPL-ME- IR in Oz for less than 65k easily. That's 36k pounds right now. That's if you don't go to one of the rip off uni affiliated flight schools in the major cities around Oz. Regional flying schools are much better and usually have some contacts for finding you a job. The big uni schools in Oz are similar to the CTC and OAA of the UK. Over priced and not interested in you once they have your money.

Piltdown Man
16th Sep 2014, 12:16
I learnt to fly in Jandakot. The tuition I received was excellent and I can honestly say I learnt to fly. But I was not trained to fly a multi-crew aircraft. That was a skill I had to be taught a lot later. But the glut of wannabes/newbies is bigger 'downunder' than in Europe, but each has plague like proportions of unemployed pilots.