PDA

View Full Version : Inop als component

barrichello72
5th Sep 2014, 21:40
Hi folks i have a question about the inop component on the als and how that affects the minima.
It is my understanding that the minima rvr required to shoot an approach is affected by a number of factors amongst which the als is included. According to the table listed in the EASA specs when the approach lights stretch for 720m or more the FULL ALS minima apply. When only from 420 to 719m the INTERMEDIATE minima apply. When only from 210 to 419m the BASIC minima apply while when less than 210m the NO ALS minima apply. However the Jeppesen charts normally report only the FULL and the NO ALS minima, so if the ATIS and or the NOTAMS report that less than 720m of the ALS is available do u have to apply the NO ALS minima, even though for instance the last 500m are available, putting you in the INTERMEDIATE category that for a precision approach with a DH of 200ft would require a minimum rvr of 700m?
Also some charts - as Riga EVR - for instance, report the minima for LIMITED, would thar correspond to INTERMEDIATE?
I do understand that the published minima must be referenced to in order to ensure that no safety net is breached, i was just wondering what is the reason, if any, other than sheer burocracy behind the publication of such a table if whenever the als are less than standard - 720m - the ALS OUT minima apply.