PDA

View Full Version : PPL Exams age limit

pilot in command
5th Sep 2014, 19:11
Hi all,

I am an instructor and I have a student who is 14 coming to chat to me tomorrow about starting his PPL. Obviously there are 2 years before I am able to let him fly solo so I was going to suggest getting the theory exams out of the way in those 2 years. I sat my PPL exams under the old syllabus where I think you had 2 years to get your PPL from your first sitting. Is this the case with the EASA exams and is there an age limit to when you can start the exams?

Whopity
5th Sep 2014, 19:47
A slightly worying post from an instructor intending to give advice to a prospective student! What is you school policy re younger students, what does the CFI have to say about it?

Prop swinger
5th Sep 2014, 20:05
FCL.025: for PPL & LAPL, two years from the date of the pass of the last exam, all exams to be completed within 18 months of the first attempt at an exam.

Mach Jump
5th Sep 2014, 21:10
There is no lower age limit. All the exams must be passed within 18 months of taking the first one, and then the overall result must be used for the issue of a licence within 2 years of passing the last one.

I advise young students not to start training before such an age that would enable them to go solo in the normal place in the syllabus, to avoid disrupting their training. By all means begin studying for the exams at an early age, but don't take the first one before 15, so that they will maximise the time they have available to finish the flight training.

MJ:ok:

Ps. Come on, Whopity. I know what you mean, but lighten up a little. ;)

ChickenHouse
8th Sep 2014, 13:54
At 14 and eager to fly the cheap way to get to the pilot wings is go glider, upgrade to LAPL and then PPL - I had two people around me doing this route and they saved about 1/3 of the total costs, time IS money and at 14 you have plenty of.