PDA

View Full Version : Confusion regarding SEP proficiency checks

Skydancer
5th Sep 2014, 16:02
Hello,

I have a question regarding FCL.1005.FE where it says an FE can conduct:

(1) skill tests for the issue of the PPL(A) and skill tests and proficiency checks for associated SP class and type ratings...
(2) skill tests for the issue of the CPL(A) and skill tests and proficiency checks for the associated SP class and type ratings...

Does that mean than an FE with LAPL/PPL privileges cannot perform a proficiency check for renewal of SEP class rating if the applicant holds a CPL ?

It doesn't make sense since the type of license shouldn't matter regarding the SEP rating, but the way it is written is open to misinterpretation.

Any thoughts on the matter ? :ugh:

Mach Jump
5th Sep 2014, 16:21
That's an interesting question.

I would say that 'associated' is a rather vague word to use in these circumstances and if it was meant to be interpreted in the way you suggest, then they would have use a word like 'attached,' or 'included'

As they used the word 'associated' I would say that the original intention was that the more sensible 'cross pollenating' interpretation would be applied.

That's the one I have applied so far.

MJ:ok:

Whopity
5th Sep 2014, 19:35
Does that mean than an FE with LAPL/PPL privileges cannot perform a proficiency check for renewal of SEP class rating if the applicant holds a CPL ?No, I have seen it in writing from the CAA that an Examiner operating on a PPL medical can test for any rating within their privileges on any licence holder. The question was posed because a number of Examiners wanted to drop back to using a Class 2 medical which reduced their licence to PPL privileges.

macflea
5th Sep 2014, 23:20
i was told by the iaa that the single engine piston class rating proficiency check is the same check for both ppl and cpl irrespective of license held. however different story with flight school they would charge according to license held eg cpl rates if cpl license held ppl rates if ppl held , eventhough same standards and tolerances for both for the sep class rating. i am open to correction

Skydancer
6th Sep 2014, 01:30
Thank you for your replies.

Whopity, it is not a question of medical. I hold a CPL with Class 1 medical but my FE privileges are for LAPL/PPL and therefore the question.

However I think I'll assume that an SEP proficiency check is an SEP proficiency check regardless of whether the applicant holds a PPL, CPL or even ATPL.

Cheers all ! :ok:

Whopity
6th Sep 2014, 07:23
however different story with flight school they would charge according to license held eg cpl rates if cpl license held ppl rates if ppl heldSurely charging is down to the Examiner who is independent of the flight school!it is not a question of medical.That is simply one scenario that lead to the question; the answer is the same regardless, an Examiner who is certificated to conduct Class Rating skill tests and proff checks may do so for any licence holder. If not, you would need a FE(ATPL) to do SEP revalidations for ATPL holders!

Level Attitude
6th Sep 2014, 11:19
Question:
Isn't the authorisation of Examiners down to the Competent Authority?
Therefore it is the Competent Authority's interpretation of Part-FCL which is important and they who can decide who and how can test whom and for what.

I agree with all the replies so far; but that is because I am UK based whereas the OP is in Iceland. Does the Icelandic CAA have the same interpretations as the UK CAA?

Skydancer
7th Sep 2014, 23:33
Hello Level Attitude and thanks for your input.

Most of the interpretations of the ICAA are in-line and actually influenced by the UK CAA.

However, I just wanted to test the waters here on the forum before submitting the question to my (competent) Authority. :O

Thanks to you all ! :)