PDA

View Full Version : Tebbit's ticker

XV490
4th Sep 2014, 16:27
According to an interview in the latest 'FlyPast' magazine, Norman Tebbit says he thinks he had an undetected heart problem during his flying career (RAF/RAuxAF and BOAC). Makes you wonder - these days they could probably diagnose it in five minutes in the back of an ambulance (should one eventually turn up).
Interesting career, though. Anyone here fly with him? Broke his back in a Meteor that refused to get off the ground, apparently, and the MO didn't even notice. Tough old b*gger, what with Brighton et al.

Basil
4th Sep 2014, 19:04
OTOH, I had a detected heart problem which wasn't :ok:

goudie
4th Sep 2014, 19:14
Meteor that refused to get off the ground

In his autobiography, which I read some years ago, it was inferred that the fore and aft trim was fully nose down. I don't recall any mention of a broken back. A good read IMHO.

brokenlink
4th Sep 2014, 22:27
If the grey cells serve me correctly one of the Meatboxes Mr Tebbit flew during his career still exists. Its an NF14(T) that for a number of years was on the gate at RAF (Hospital), Ely. Now at the Malta Aviation Museum I believe.

Fonsini
5th Sep 2014, 03:48
Didn't he once (controversially) say that you can tell who the true British were if you watched an international cricket match between England and Pakistan and observed the nationality of the flags they were waving?

Not that we have any problems with those folks these days of course :oh:

XV490
5th Sep 2014, 06:38
He says he broke two vertebrae at Waterbeach in 1954 and another one at Brighton 30 years ago.

teeteringhead
5th Sep 2014, 09:32
Had the privilege of sitting next to him at a dinner in London a couple of years ago. Amazing couple of hours chatting - all pilot stuff and no politics (well, not too much anyway).

Top bloke.