PDA

View Full Version : Ex 19

gengen
3rd Sep 2014, 18:28
Does 1hr of instrument flying have to be recorded in a students logbook for ex19, or can I record just 50 mins if I am happy the student is competent enough. I've always understood that a 180 deg turn is all that is reqd and I'm trying to find out exactly where the CAA states what is actually reqd or preferred for ex19. (And yes I do far more than just a 180 deg turn). thanks in advance...

GgW
3rd Sep 2014, 18:53
Gengen
Have a read through Part-FCL, you will find that the PPL training required is a little bit more than just a level 180 degree turn. The 180 degree turn is tested in the PPL Skills test. It will be difficult but not impossible to finish a PPL with only 1 hour IF flight time.

Whopity
3rd Sep 2014, 22:05
The syllabus is in the AMC to Part FCL (http://easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/AMC%20and%20GM%20to%20Part-FCL.pdf)

(xxv) Exercise 19: Basic instrument flight:
(A) physiological sensations;
(B) instrument appreciation; attitude instrument flight;
(C) instrument limitations;
(D) basic manoeuvres:
(a) straight and level at various air speeds and configurations;
(b) climbing and descending;
(c) standard rate turns, climbing and descending, onto selected headings;
(d) recoveries from climbing and descending turns. There is no specified time however; the purpose of a Training Manual is for the ATO to specify such detail.

gengen
4th Sep 2014, 06:49
thanks guys. Company policy is 2hrs SSA, 3 hrs solo consolidation and 1hr instrument flight are a must. Previous flying schools I have worked for its only been the first 2, and only the 2hrs SSA is mentioned in part-FCL, so I was just wondering if other schools log at least 1hr IF time. I can't see it written anywhere so it must be a CFI thing.