PDA

View Full Version : EK - Options for high experience FOs

aussiefarmer
3rd Sep 2014, 06:27
Considering not everyone is "that happy" at EK as per the related thread in the forum, I am wondering how long will it take for a few contract carriers to realise that there's quite a substantial population of very experienced FOs (most with over 5000hrs of modern widebody experience and/or previous commands and worldwide ops experience) that would be willing to consider other options if offered a LHS job. Nowadays, I think we all agree that new joiners are looking at possibly a decade of RHS before getting their chance at the upgrade.

I only know of Air Asia offering FOs a Capt position straight upon joining as long as they pass the selection process and they fulfil the minimum requirements. Leaving EK for Air Asia might not be the wisest move, specially if one is close to a wide body command. But...

Does anyone know about any other carrier/s who do this?
How likely is it to see more of this job offers in the future?

ManaAdaSystem
3rd Sep 2014, 08:04
An EK Effoh looking for a DEC position? You don't even want to make the grade first, just jump in ahead of the Effohs in whatever company you want to join?

So if I join EK as a DEC, you will be standing by the door welcoming me?

Al Murdoch
3rd Sep 2014, 17:56
"We all agreed" a few months ago that there would never be a bonus again.
I do enjoy how the 10 years plus to Command has now become an established fact.

montencee
4th Sep 2014, 02:37
I do enjoy how the 10 years plus to Command has now become an established fact.

Me too. Do the math and 12-14 years seems far more likely.

Al Murdoch
4th Sep 2014, 04:12
The maths is impossible to do. There are too many unknowns.

Praise Jebus
4th Sep 2014, 05:04
But they are all known unknowns....

Sam Ting Wong
4th Sep 2014, 05:35
Nevertheless EK just started an ad campaign offering " faster" commands for new joiners...

I got a Richworth mail offering "possible" commands, but initially in the RHS, EVA Air.

A lot of lies and false promises out there..
Make your own calculations, don't trust your employer, forget about commands "later" when signing up a temporary contract imho.

whossorrynow
4th Sep 2014, 07:49
Nevertheless EK just started an ad campaign offering " faster" commands for new joiners...

225 aircraft now, it's taken 27 years to get this far. Very simply a new joiner will get their upgrade chance when a fast growing airline doubles it's fleet number. In this case that's when 450 aircraft are on site.

The 'unknowns' are:

Retirements - in reality these are known and there are not that many coming up at all. No real bulges for the next 15-20 years. Ironically because of the airlines fast growth and past early commands the airline has a young demograph. Medical retirements are another matter. Expect more of those.

Resignations - depends on the industry and opportunities elsewhere. The US is a draw right now.

DECs - whatever is said by anyone there will be more DECs.

Fleet seniority - company seniority is ignored in favour of fleet seniority so whatever the fastest growing fleet is get on it, although you won't know what that fleet is until it's too late. The difference in time to upgrade between the fleets has been 100% for some unfortunates. The lucky ones come on this board and say how great it is here.

But will this airline ever grow to 450 aircraft? If it doesn't 10 or 12 or 14 years to command will be optimistic. The big growth is starting to wind down. Many orders are for replacement aircraft and there's nothing in the press to say that this will ever be more than a 350 aircraft airline. Airspace and groundspace in the UAE are a factor. How much untapped traffic is out there? Apart from crossing the Pacific this airline already covers the world. A lot of the growth will be bigger aircraft. A380s replacing B777s and B777Xs instead of A330/A340/A350s.

Someone joining this airline now might never get a command at all never mind "faster".

aussiefarmer
4th Sep 2014, 09:22
Thank you, whossorrynow, finally a rational and intelligent point of view. It doesn't take that much to reach that conclusion, right?

Sam Ting Wong I got that email too, and indeed they are talking about upgrade opportunities, but I was seeking for offers like what Air Asia does. :)

ManaAdaSystem, I have no problem welcoming DECs since there's nothing I can do about them and if I was in their shoes I would be doing exactly the same.

I am looking for constructive inputs to my question. Thanks.

ekwhistleblower
4th Sep 2014, 10:08
Well 2020 = 250 aircraft according to this!

Emirates to fly to 170 destinations and flydubai to 100 by 2020 - Emirates 24/7 (http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/emirates-to-fly-to-170-destinations-and-flydubai-to-100-by-2020-2014-05-07-1.548217)

fatbus
4th Sep 2014, 10:20
Net growth of 25 AC in 6 years, 25x8(Capt's )=200 plus 100 to 200 retirements in the same period gives you 300 to 400 total upgrades in the next 6 years, slowing down after that. Neither fleet new hire has a AC to upgrade on in the current plan. This has all been said before more than once. Most of those upgrades on the 380.