PDA

View Full Version : 8 Reds?

chiglet
1st Sep 2014, 21:13
I was at the Rhyl Air Show yesterday [31/8/2014] and the Red Arrows display was conducted by eight Hawks. No probs, but I thought that they were back to nine. I must admit, they did look "unbalanced" at times [Can't upload photos at the mo]

smujsmith
1st Sep 2014, 21:26
I noticed that on the video of the Bournemouth display. I've no idea why they are down to eight again, but I suspect someone who does can tell us.

Smudge:ok:

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
1st Sep 2014, 21:33
Commentator at Bournemouth said that a Red's wife had gone into labour

500N
1st Sep 2014, 21:37
So they will have 9 1/2 Reds soon ? :O

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
1st Sep 2014, 21:41
Local rag down here on the English Riviera

Red Arrows down to eight at Bournemouth Air Festival - after Red 3's wife goes into labour (From Bournemouth Echo) (http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11442707.Red_Arrows_down_to_eight_at_Bournemouth_Air_Festiva l___after_Red_3_s_wife_goes_into_labour/?ref=rss)

Courtney Mil
1st Sep 2014, 21:46
Good luck with the birth. Looking forward to some good news.

nutnurse
1st Sep 2014, 23:57
That's a change for the better. Ten years or so ago Red 1 wouldn't accept a pilot because he had a young family and therefore "wouldn't be committed". The pilot got in under another Red 1 and eventually I do believe became Red 1 himself.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
2nd Sep 2014, 22:00
Just an observation from the dark blue side; it was always understood that attendance at the keel laying was essential but only desirable for the launch.

OK, concentration and freedom from distraction for a demanding job and all that but these things don't go unnoticed elsewhere.

Anyway, best wishes to Red 3 and family. :ok:

Courtney Mil
2nd Sep 2014, 23:18
Indeed, GBZ. I recall my nav in Cold War days requesting leave. His reason was that, "My wife is having a baby and I wish to be there when it's conceived."

The Oberon
3rd Sep 2014, 05:46
On a similar theme CM. Waddington, early 80s.

"Sorry I'm late Chief, but my wife is pregnant"
" I didn't know that, when is she due?"
" About 40 weeks from this morning Chief"

vascodegama
3rd Sep 2014, 05:55
I remember getting a student out of the sim and telling him to get to DRI since he was about to be a dad. When he rang me at home at 10pm that night with no progress I did wonder about the rush!

Pontius Navigator
3rd Sep 2014, 16:28
Severe deviation, but one Sunspot in the 60's coincided with wife hatching. He was stuck in Malta for 6 weeks though did get a day-return to see his wife the day after the birth.

For my #2 I was on an open in the SWAPS though the crew played a blinder and we flew straight back to ISK after the sortie.

chiglet
17th Sep 2014, 21:41
I hope that Red 3s missus had an easy time. Any details as to the gender?
[Congrats all round]

Genstabler
17th Sep 2014, 22:43
A little boy.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
19th Sep 2014, 15:40
I bet Mrs Red 3's thankful that it was only a "little" boy.

1.3VStall
19th Sep 2014, 16:00
Lightning APC at Deci about 40 years ago. One of the pilot's wife was expecting their second child while he was away.

Signal arrived from Gutersloh "Personal for Flt Lt *****. Mark 2 arrived with probe!"