PDA

View Full Version : LAPL medical

EGFU
1st Sep 2014, 16:51
Can you use a Class 2 medical (for a part FCL license) for the medical issue for a LAPL license? This would be an initial medical. I wish to apply for a LAPL license for the moment but might want to 'upgrade' to a part FCL after issue. Idea being saving money getting both a LAPL medical and class 2 in case i do want to upgrade.

kui2324
2nd Sep 2014, 07:38
Your medical if performed by an AME will show two dates one for expiry of the class 2 and the other the expiry of the LAPL but it is the licence you have to go with them that is important. So if flying on a LAPL medical you will require a LAPL licence although a class 2 medical will also do. For a PPL you will need a class 1 or 2 medical.

Not sure why you say that getting a medical for LAPL and Class 2 at the same time will save money? Only an AME can issue a LAPL and a class 2. Your GP if you have no health problems can issue a LAPL.

If you plan on upgrading to a PPL later the CAA will take more money in fees! So factor that in to your costings.

EGFU
2nd Sep 2014, 09:57
Sorry for the wording- the idea is getting a class 2 medical for a LAPL license then if I want to convert to part FCL then it would save getting a class 2 So rather than paying £175 for a LAPL and another £175 for a class 2, I can then just go for a class 2. I know it wouldn't work using a LAPL medical for a part FCL..

kui2324
2nd Sep 2014, 16:00
If you would pass a class 2 medical then yes it would make sense to have a class 2 if you thought you wanted to 'upgrade' to a PPL in the near future. And a class 2 would also give you validity for a LAPL. So you wouldn't have to pay again if you had a class 2 medical. Just any 'upgrade' fee from LAPL to PPL for the CAA.

Under 40 both last for 5 years validity. Over 40 the class 2 is valid 40-49 for 24 months and 50+ 12 months. The LAPL medical is valid for 24 months over 40.

But if money is short and you are very fit then a LAPL may be more cost efficient depending on what your GP would charge you!