PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hopkins.

maxburner
1st Sep 2014, 15:31
With a heavy heart I pass on the sad news that Paul Hopkins has lost the fight with Motor Neuron Disease.

Paul had a distinguished career in the RAF and went on to become the Chief Test Pilot at BAe Systems.

A finer pilot or a nicer man would be hard to find. Rest in peace Hoppy.

LOMCEVAK
1st Sep 2014, 15:55
Paul was a true gentleman in every sense and an extremely talented aviator. This is a very sad loss and tonight I am feeling my own mortality. God speed, Paul

DS

cuefaye
1st Sep 2014, 16:29
What incredibly saddening news. Didn't I read only a few weeks ago that he was doing some challenging charity work for the condition? RIP Hoppy

ex-fast-jets
1st Sep 2014, 18:27
Farewell Paul

So sorry to hear of your passing.

Enjoyed our time on 1(F) - you should have had a full and worthwhile retirement, but fate obviously decided otherwise. It just isn't right that you should go before you enjoyed the time on this planet that you deserved.

LOMCEVAK is right - it does bring one's own mortality into focus.

I wish you peaceful flying wherever you may now be.

My thoughts are with your family at this sad time.

My very Best Regards

Bomber

MSOCS
1st Sep 2014, 22:44
God speed to one of ours, no longer with us.

Rest in peace

Steve the Pirate
1st Sep 2014, 22:45
More terrible news and the passing of another fine man. RIP Hoppy and my thoughts are with your family and many close friend at this sad time.

I'll raise a glass to you this evening.

STP

walbut
2nd Sep 2014, 15:15
What very sad news, Paul was one of the most helpful and self effacing Hawk Project Pilots that I ever had the pleasure to deal with. I visited the UAE with him about 20 years ago to investigate a Hawk with a reported flight control problem. The UAE AF and AD were very impressed with his knowledge and professionalism and amazed that someone who looked so young could have amassed the flying experience that he had. I can also remember being played the tapes of his Blackpool Tornado accident as a salutary in house flight safety brief. He went on to be one of the most pragmatic and approachable Hawk Project Directors I have known.

My sincere condolences to his friends and family. It is very sad that he did not get the long and happy retirement that he deserved.

Walbut

thrusts a must
2nd Sep 2014, 17:05
I am seldom moved to write about an old buddy but like Bomber I had the great pleasure of knowing Paul on 1(f) and flew with him 4 times later on the OCU- (including a 1v1 which must have been very pedestrian in a T bird.)

He was one of the breed of exceptional pilots that the harrier force was very lucky to have. Unusually he was very modest and a very nice cove to boot.

As we all knew he would, he went on to greater things in the TP world.

What a very sad loss

lifts a gift

Manandboy
2nd Sep 2014, 20:56
Very much saddened by this news - far too young. One of life's truly nice guys, and an exceptional pilot. Blue skies Hoppy.

maxburner
3rd Sep 2014, 10:50
Paul's funeral will be on 9 September, 2 pm, St Cuthberts, Lytham .

Bizdottest
3rd Sep 2014, 12:15
I knew Paul in training days as genuinely decent chap who will be sadly missed. My thoughts are with his family.

RodfjH
8th Sep 2014, 07:57
I am so sad to hear this news. I last worked with Paul on the Hawk India project in 2010.

Tightflester
8th Sep 2014, 19:58
Worked (and aviated) with Paul. Truly an Officer & Gentleman, he was one of humanities positives and we’ve suffered a sad loss.
RIP Hoppy.