PDA

View Full Version : TSA/VISA Requirements for FAA Seaplane Rating

Airbusboy
30th Aug 2014, 06:35
I am British holding an FAA CPL/IR/ME. Planning to do a Single Engine Seaplane Rating on the C172 on floats.

My understanding is TSA clearance and an M1 visa would not be required for a Seaplane Rating. I did do some reading, from AOPA:

You must participate in the Alien Flight Student Program and undergo a security threat assessment if:

You are seeking flight training inside or outside the United States for U.S. airman certificate under 14 CFR. This rule applies to flight training that you could use toward a recreational, sport, or private pilot certificate; multiengine or instrument rating; or any initial U.S. airman certificate issued by FAA.

As an alien, you are NOT required to participate in the AFSP and undergo a security threat assessment if:

You are seeking recurrent training, such as a flight review, instrument proficiency check, or flight training listed under 14 CFR 61.31

Can some one please confirm whether I would require TSA clearance? I have also emailed TSA, FAA, but they don't give me a yes or no answer but tell me to check Dhs website.

Kind Regards

mad_jock
30th Aug 2014, 08:23
if you want everything to go smoothly just do it.

All it takes is someone with the IQ less than a pig with a gun to have a different view to who ever you have been getting info from and your stuffed.

9 lives
30th Aug 2014, 10:48
Though I cannot speak to the FAA requirements, I can suggest that you also consider Canada for seaplane training. I did training at Lake Country Airways in Orillia, Ontario. Just excellent! There are also British Columbia organizations, who train amongst spectacular mountians

Hodja
30th Aug 2014, 12:29
You only need TSA approval for an *initial* FAA certificate (but you've already got your FAA commercial, so this doesn't apply), instrument rating (N/A), initial multi-engine (N/A) or type rating. (N/A)

So, no - you don't need TSA approval (nor US visa) for a seaplane class rating add-on.