PDA

View Full Version : Renewal of SEP rating with an ATPL license

Spanjan
29th Aug 2014, 13:50
Hi all,

I have been flying on my ATPL for a while now and sadly my SEP rating has expired on my JAR FCL license :{. I would like to start to fly the smaller planes again and I was wondering what the minimum requirements are to get checked out again. My SEP rating has been expired for a couple of years now. Anyone with an answer??

Thanks!

tcm13
29th Aug 2014, 14:01
Training as required and skills test off the top of my head, could be wrong!

BillieBob
29th Aug 2014, 14:08
Training as required at an ATO and a proficiency check, actually. But then, what's in a name?

Spanjan
29th Aug 2014, 15:22
Thnx! Any indication what amount of hours etc?

MaximumPete
29th Aug 2014, 15:47
I completed about eight hours of training, ground school, general handling and cross country flights to reacquaint myself with ALL aspects of light aviation after some 35+ years of airline flying and over 15,000 hours

I also did some more refresher training and swopped my I/R for an IMC rating which involve recovery from unusual attitudes with a limited panel and a fixed dial ADF for an NDB approach.

Stay safe

MP;)

Sleeve Wing
29th Aug 2014, 16:33
>>>>>>I also did some more refresher training and swopped my I/R for an IMC rating which involve recovery from unusual attitudes with a limited panel and a fixed dial ADF for an NDB approach.<<<<

No need for that although probably a good idea. A spamcan ain't quite the same as a 7-0 or a Fk.100, Pete.
I think I'm correct in saying that,if you still maintain your ATPL, then you already had an IMCR by grandfather rights.
Now the EASA I/R(Restricted) is a different matter. If you've got your new EASA licence, make sure they've put an I/R(R) on it.
Just a quick point too. If you renew your SEP(Land) by experience next time, tell the Instructor you'd like to do your 'hour' as instrument flying, just to keep your hand in.

Whopity
29th Aug 2014, 19:17
I think I'm correct in saying that,if you still maintain your ATPL, then you already had an IMCR by grandfather rights.You are referring to a UK ATPL not a JAA ATPL!If you renew your SEP(Land) by experience next time, tell the Instructor you'd like to do your 'hour' as instrument flying, just to keep your hand in. If you hold a professional licence and do LPCs you don't need an hour with an indstructor!

pembroke
30th Aug 2014, 07:17
As others have said, "training via ATO(RTF) to pass a proficiency check. Then the fun starts! If you have a Part FCL EASA licence, to bring your lapsed SEP rating from the back page requires "licence action" by the CAA.

If you hold a UK or JAR ATPL and the FE can't sign the renewal of the SEP rating, on the ratings page, because the expiry is plus 3 years, you will need to apply for an EASA licence, again because it's "licencing action". (As I understand the latest IN, the EASA 3 year "signing" limit has been extended but only for EASA licences)

Don't forget the April '15 EASA aircraft/licence deadline, unless you only want to fly Annex 2 aircraft. If the CAA are involved in the above remember to submit SRG 1119D or 1107, "course completion certificate" as well as SRG 1119C, SRG1157 and SRG1199. Re the conversion,(SRG1104) if you want to revert to PPL, you will need evidence of your original PPL, if not the CAA should be able to check their archive. Or you can "convert" ATPL to PPL but I can't find the form! Good luck

Whopity
30th Aug 2014, 08:05
As I understand the latest IN, the EASA 3 year "signing" limit has been extended but only for EASA licences)Show me where there is a reference to any other licence? The 5 years disappeared with JAR and the 5 hours in 13 months disappeared long before that!

pembroke
30th Aug 2014, 17:36
Stds Doc14 version 6 (Sept 2012) Para 4.5
"If a type or class rating has expired by more than three years....examiner cannot sign the cert. of revalidation...application must be submitted to CAA.."

IN-2014/109
Para 2.1 "The previously advised restriction that examiners must not sign the renewal/revalidation page of the licence if the relevant privilege expired more than three years.."

Whopity
31st Aug 2014, 18:33
How about a legal reference. Stds Doc 14 is a guidance documment!

BEagle
31st Aug 2014, 18:58
So why don't you find one, Whopity?

Your ersthile employers at the CAA are doing the best they can, so if you know something better, why not offer them some advice?

Or is it easier just to whinge on Internet forums?