PDA

View Full Version : Good clubs near York?

Muz165
27th Aug 2014, 21:19
Good evening,

I ran a quick search but couldn't find an answer.

I'm currently working in the centre of York and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on the best flying club in the area in order to complete my PPL. I already have about 30hrs of ad-hoc flying so i'm looking for a military friendly club that will look favourably on my hours.

Thanks for your help,

Always a Sapper
27th Aug 2014, 22:54
Flying clubs? god knows, I thought you meant drinking establishments with err 'entertainment' :O

Would suggest giving RAF Linton-on-Ouse a quick call as they are just down the road or the York Air Museum who may have some contacts.

N2erk
27th Aug 2014, 23:34
That's what I thought also! Back in pre-historic times, when I was at Church Fenton, I recall a club at Sherburn-In-Elmet and lo & behold.. Sherburn Aero Club | Flying Club & Flight Training | Yorkshire (http://www.sherburnaeroclub.com/)
Hope that helps.

newt
28th Aug 2014, 05:33
Used to be a great club in Tadcaster! Loads of strip clubs in Leeds! Sadly all long gone:ok:

Firestreak
28th Aug 2014, 05:38
There's a training club based at Breighton, look at The Real Aircraft Company web site and some details are there. Also, there's a club based at Full Sutton (handily placed alongside the max security prison), don't know anything about it.

Lima Juliet
28th Aug 2014, 06:14
If you're in the military or recently retired then RAF Leeming are looking to start a flying club. Otherwise, RAF Waddington has a very good club if you want to learn in a military atmosphere.

LJ

skua
28th Aug 2014, 12:38
Sherburn - just the other side of Church Fenton (RIP) - is thriving and has the benefit I believe of also teaching on LSAs if ££ are at a premium.

BSweeper
28th Aug 2014, 12:54
Full Sutton is good. Contact adam at The Great Circle for instruction.

High_Expect
28th Aug 2014, 13:19
Full Sutton just East of York. Cas Smith has a lot of experience dealing with ex Mil guys (well FJ guys anyway) they also have a T67M one of the sold off Fireflys from JEFTS.

Wander00
28th Aug 2014, 15:53
Post heading triggered a memory of a late 70s TA attachment to HQ NE Transport and Movements - another captain, and 4 staff sergeants all of whom worked on the railways. My oppo asked the guys if they knew any good pubs in York. They gave us an address and some directions so Saturday night off we went. Should have been put on our guard by having to knock for admittance. had not been there many minutes when we both noticed that all the couples were of similar gender - it was probably the first gay bar in York. As they say in the Sunday papers, we made our excuses and left. Appropriate retribution was applied! Good clubs near York indeed. Good luck, but check if you have to knock to get in.

2Planks
28th Aug 2014, 16:23
Anyone remember the Buck at Rufforth?? Now there was a night out....
Sorry, couldn't resist back to topic.