PDA

View Full Version : Elementary flying training syllabus

Muz165
27th Aug 2014, 21:15
Good evening,

In brief: Can someone provide me with a copy of the Grob Tutor Elementary flying training syllabus? Ideally electronic...

I did some military flying about a year ago and we followed a blue folder for each lesson and I believe it was the Elementary flying training syllabus. I've now started working towards my PPL and I like the idea of having my lessons written down (I know PPL will be different to EFTS but I still want it).

I like the idea of having stuff written down along with some of the detail behind it. So my questions are:

1. Is there a classification on the syllabus (I believe not)?

2. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get hold of a copy? Ideally online? I'm willing to make a Paypal payment via Ebay to get hold of one.

Secondly,

Is there something similar for the civi world?

For example, if you haven't seen it, when you are told by your instructor to turn to the left this folder will explain (in writing so you can go over it later) exactly how you do that, ie. carry out your lookout first, look to your front at your attitude, turn on X degrees angle of bank, apply rudder etc etc...

I just can't remember that stuff after a flight once i've been sat in the cockpit getting thrashed with a million different things, well I can but I think I will learn and progress a lot faster if I can go over this stuff on paper.

Thanks in advance.

AOJM
27th Aug 2014, 22:35
AFE FLYING TRAINING BOOK 1 by Jeremy Pratt will see you right. Do not follow the military syllabus, it's wonderful but a little different to civvi flying (circuit patterns, for a start).

Any ATO will have the same type of syllabus written up.

GipsyMagpie
28th Aug 2014, 05:30
+1 for the AFE book. Its the equivalent of the Student Study Guide which is I think the military thing you are really after - but as my esteemed colleague says, you don't want it as it does a few things differently.

Lima Juliet
28th Aug 2014, 06:11
To add a little balance, I always prefered the Trevor Thom 'Air Pilots Manuals' for the PPL syllabus. :ok:

If you buy them on Ebay then make sure you buy the EASA updated versions.

LJ

Could be the last?
28th Aug 2014, 09:32
Is this Ascent realising that they have overlooked another part of flying trg?

High_Expect
28th Aug 2014, 13:31
Hi Muz165,

I don't want to shoot you fella but I'm guessing you're UAS or exUAS. Good effort for wanting gain your PPL but please don't think you'll benefit from trying to remain in the military flying mindset. If you're going down the PPL route I can also recommend AFE. No flying school (FTO) will appreciate you coming in and attempting to quote military procedures and terminology based on your previous flying. I suggest you dump the majority and be thankful for the flying experience you've had. You'll find the EFT/UAS syllabus goes far beyond the PPL syllabus so it will stand you in good stead and you should walk the remainder of the PPL.

Regards High_Expect - current FJ instructor and PPL holder

Muz165
28th Aug 2014, 20:23
So after reading the replies I recalled someone giving me a few books, after having a little look around I have found "The Air Pilot's Manual, Book 1, Flying Training" revised and edited by Peter D. Godwin.

However I would still like a copy of the EFTS syllabus if anyone can point me in the right direction as I plan on doing Flying Grading in the not too distant future.

High_Expect, good guess in terms of where I gained my experience. I am an officer of roughly 7 years and was posted in Colerne for quite a while. I built some good links with the UAS there and was fortunate enough to do a good bit of flying. What do you instruct on and for what service? If you don't mind me asking?

So thanks for the replies so far, I will continue with the Pilot's manual I have for my PPL training but I'm still hoping for a copy of the EFTS syllabus to get me on the right track for flying grading... I know some people will suggest I go without preparing but I can't resist doing something before I turn up. 6 P's and all that...

Cheers.

AOJM
28th Aug 2014, 22:18
Try messaging OC 115 (R) squadron standards EFTS

That's the only way, except for locating a 'pirate' electronic copy.

The foreward from my copy is signed by Mr **** Batson, though it's some years old now.

*Remember to proof read your posts members. You never know who's around.

just another jocky
29th Aug 2014, 16:39
I am an officer of roughly 7 years and was posted in Colerne for quite a while.

Really? They've lowered the English Language standards then as most people are posted to somewhere, not in.

Anyway, if you are a currently serving officer, you can simply jump onto Dii, navigate to the 3FTS MOSS page and download all 3 EFT syllabi directly. :ok:

Sun Who
29th Aug 2014, 16:51
I'm struggling to reconcile this thread with the other thread started here (http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/545573-army-faa-navy-transfer.html) by the OP on an Army to FAA transfer.:hmm:

Sun.

AllTrimDoubt
29th Aug 2014, 21:39
After 7 years you will also be pushing the age limit to begin military flying training.
Grading is not designed simply to teach you to fly. It will assess your capacity and ability to cope within the military flying training environment. I cannot fault your propensity to prepare in advance, but would strongly recommend you don't try to prejudge what is required.
As stated, the current EFT syllabus is MoD property of 3FTS. If you are indeed Dii connected, then you will be able to access.

Oh, and Batty would have signed the Foreword, not the Forward!

AOJM
29th Aug 2014, 22:18
Duly noted.

TheWizard
29th Aug 2014, 22:41
Duly noted.

Try again!! F O R E W O R D

Muz165
31st Aug 2014, 12:49
AOJM - Cheers, i'm trying to get in touch with a local UAS. Failing that, i'll give them a try.

just another jocky - It's 'English language' not 'English Language'. I expect that was a typo, as mine was. It's sometimes difficult replying on a smart phone.
Cheers for the help though, i'll try and find that. I'm aware of a 'master page' that links to all MOSS pages, not sure where it is but i'm sure i'll locate it.

Sun_Who - Don't try too hard, it's really not that difficult. I'm working on a FAA transfer and i'm doing my PPL. Any more questions?

AllTrimDoubt - I appreciate your advice and i'll be very open minded on the course but at the same time i'd like a little bit of preparation. I'm aware of the age limit etc. but i'm sure we all know of plenty of people who have navigated their way round a few rules, i've nothing to lose...

Muz165
2nd Sep 2014, 23:19
So I'm on the 3FTS MOSS Page. Do you know where I can find the syllabus?

Thanks,