PDA

View Full Version : Rescue search.

VAN GOGH
26th Aug 2014, 14:16
Dear ,

I am "Van Gogh" living in Belgium. I am doing research about a crash happend 15 miles from Gütersloh Air Base. That happend on
8 May 1985. A Belgian Mirage V from 8th Sqn. in Biérset crashed near the base after an engine explosion. The pilot ejected safely with minor enjuries and was able to fly again after 5 days. After the ejection he landed in a tree. The rescue attempt from fire department and a Chinook failed. Fire department ladder to short and Chinook to big dawn wash.
Then a Puma or Puma's were scrambled to get the pilot out of the tree. The Puma landed first in an nearby field to put a rope under the fuselage. 45 minutes after the crash they were ably to bring back the pilot on solid ground. Last year the pilot visited the crash site again and that after many years. It brought back all the memories. Now follows my question. We are trying to find the crew from the Puma or Puma's from 230th sqn.'Tigers' that toke part in the rescue. Can you help us. It's important for us to find them. Please can you help us finding the crew or crews that we are searching. All help is welcome. For the effort I thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,

:ok:

Self loading bear
30th Aug 2014, 17:06
It might be nothing new to you but i recently learned in an airplane museum of the ejection tie club. This pilot is probably already a member?

Ejection Tie Club (http://www.martin-baker.com/clubs/ejection-tie-club)

All(??) Mirages use Martin Baker seats.

SLB

MightyGem
30th Aug 2014, 20:09
We are trying to find the crew from the Puma or Puma's from 230th sqn.'Tigers'
He wants the names of the Puma crew, not the ejectee.

Igor Eurocopter
31st Aug 2014, 17:22
I think you might get some joy if you go to the website. WWW.230sqn.co.uk

Fill in the Contact Us form and wait. Rob Turner the President was a former Commanding Officer of the Sqn ( I think in the 70's). His son is now an High flying Air Vice Marshall and was a pilot on 230Sqn in the late 1980's, just after the incident in question. 230 Sqn Association was the biggest in the RAF when I served with them.

If they can't help, ask them for the name and address of the current F540 officer on the Squadron at RAF Benson( F540 is the Sqn history form). I think all the F540 history documents are sent to the Imperial War Museum in London.

All the best with your quest.

Older and Wiser
1st Sep 2014, 07:31
Fairly sure Bob Turner was OC230 then. There was an incident between a Harrier T Bird and a F104 earlier in '85 (Jan I think) but I do not remember a Mirage incident, but I could have been on a Det away from base at the time.

VAN GOGH
1st Sep 2014, 09:43
Older and Wiser,

thank you for the information. If you have more information you can find my email address on the forum. Then you can send it directly to me, I think.
And you are probably a former 230 sqn. member.
If you know former people from 230 sqn. let me know please.
And then I say know Tiger, Tiger, Tiger

Thanks