PDA

View Full Version : Duchess crash

dragon man
25th Aug 2014, 07:38
Any one heard about VH BFP a Duchess crashing today?

Horatio Leafblower
25th Aug 2014, 07:50
FlightAware has it BK-CWR thisarvo and scheduled CWR-BK...

Duck Pilot
25th Aug 2014, 08:13
Channel 7 just had a clip on the news, didn't look like the aircraft crashed. Looked like a forced landing as a result of an attempted take over/altercation by a the pax as per the news report. Pretty sketchy report and sounded unbelievable. More to come I guess. It was reported that the pilot is ok which is great news.

garrya100
25th Aug 2014, 08:13
Not a crash as such, emergency landing in a paddock near Oberon after a passenger ran amok during the flight, second passenger, the victim of the attack has been transported to hospital with injuries, no news of the pilot. Report via local TV news so may be clarified further.

KrispyKreme
25th Aug 2014, 08:14
was just on the nightly news, apparently the pax tried to take control of the aircraft and the pilot fought back. News saying pax has facial damage from the pilot belting him to let go of the controls, which is exactly what i would of done if he risked my life..... anyhow just repeating the media so more to come

garrya100
25th Aug 2014, 08:21
Local paper report

Two men hospitalised after emergency landing | Western Advocate (http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/2511690/two-men-hospitalised-after-emergency-landing/?cs=115)

Stanwell
25th Aug 2014, 08:34
While not trying to downplay the seriousness of the incident,
I can't help wondering how someone could 'run' amok in a Duchess.

Oakape
25th Aug 2014, 08:44
I can't help wondering how someone could 'run' amok in a Duchess.

Quite easily, if the were in the front, right seat. The dual controls are right in front of them.

garrya100
25th Aug 2014, 08:48
Fair enough, but sit amok just doesn't sit right.....

1a sound asleep
25th Aug 2014, 09:15
Light plane makes emergency landing in Oberon after 82-year-old passenger assaults pilot (http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/light-plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-oberon-after-82yearold-passenger-assaults-pilot/story-fnizu68q-1227036419256)

bankrunner
25th Aug 2014, 09:23
Saddest part of this whole affair is that the scumbag passenger survived!

Hope the pilot comes out OK.

adsyj
25th Aug 2014, 09:39
The young Pilot seems to have given him a fair touch up.

The silly old coot has had to be transferred by Air Ambulance back to Sydney. I wonder if the old fella has some mental issues.

Sounds like a good job by the Pilot, he may of literally been fighting for his life.

Horatio Leafblower
25th Aug 2014, 10:20
Wow. Haven't we all jumped to conclusions?

There are a few older ATOs... How do you know this wasn't one of them?

How do you know the pilot in command wasn't doing something stupid? How do you know the "silly old coot" wasn't an experienced, competent and sensible pilot with a gazillion hours experience?

I can imagine a host of possible scenarios for this event based on the scant facts at hand. Some are good for TV and some are more plausible.

Nobody's dead in this case so the truth will out in the end. :oh:

mattyj
25th Aug 2014, 10:24
Checklist;

Autopilot............ENGAGE
Fireaxe..............REMOVE
Passenger..........SUBDUE
Fireaxe..............RESTOW

Squawk7700
25th Aug 2014, 10:44
Of course we all know that as the PIC we have the automatic powers of a Constable to subdue passengers using any necessary force (aka fist, fire axe, fork, bullet) to protect the safety of the aircraft and those on board.

For those that think it can't happen, a mate was taking some disabled people for a fly in a chartered 182 when the guy in the rear who had a condition due to a truck accident years earlier, decided he was going to attack the pilot from behind. My mate literally crapped his pants as he had nothing he could do to defend himself other than work with the mans carer to subdue him.

roundsounds
25th Aug 2014, 11:24
I reckon Horatio could be onto something re the ATO scenario.

Horatio Leafblower
25th Aug 2014, 11:34
Roundsounds

I am only faintly familiar with the student body at the operator in question, and I don't know a great many ATOs in that location.

I am wondering why an IFR twin was at such a height over the Mountains that crashing it was a good option.

YES that could be a berko passenger. possibly. :suspect:

It could also be a practice engine failure or Precautionary search on a test which the student has screwed up, and the ATO or instructor has been forced to say those magic words "Taking over" which of course results in a fail.

Headstrong/proud student or test candidate? Loss of face scenario? :ouch:

I hope I am wrong because the senior ATOs I know do not deserve to be beaten up while doing their job, much less end up in a bent aeroplane and then in hospital as a result.

This is on the ABC website (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-25/82yo-tries-to-take-control-of-light-plane/5695456):

An elderly passenger tried to take control of a light plane and shut down one its engines as it was flying over regional New South Wales, the pilot has told authorities.

1a sound asleep
25th Aug 2014, 12:10
1. It was a charter
2. NO ATO - Who has ever heard of an 82 YO ATO anyway ?
3. Pax went nuts
4. Pilot saved himself

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bv3pvxrIQAA5DgI.jpg

Horatio Leafblower
25th Aug 2014, 12:14
If that's the case - Well done that man! :D

Capt Fathom
25th Aug 2014, 12:28
Who has ever heard of an 82 YO ATO anyway?

Well I haven't! But I know one who retired last year aged 78.

ChrisJ800
looks like a nice cross slope landing. I guess Bathurst would have been the nearest airport at around 20nm away.

Mimpe
Mental illness , hypoxia or panic attack.

deadcut
25th Aug 2014, 12:43
Who flies charters in a Duchess??

1a sound asleep
25th Aug 2014, 12:51
Who flies charters in a Duchess??

Basair Aviation College (http://www.basair.com.au/Aircraft)

RatsoreA
25th Aug 2014, 13:05
Well, you're not going to send a chieftain for a charter for one person!

empty_seats
25th Aug 2014, 13:20
Sounds like he's just a few clowns short of a circus..

Hats off to the controller as well, definitely kept the cool.

Capn Rex Havoc
25th Aug 2014, 15:20
Is is possible the elderly passenger wanted to commit suicide?

I recall a while back in WA an elderly gent hired a helicopter for for a joy flight then in cruise, unstrapped, open the door and jumped to his death.

josephfeatherweight
25th Aug 2014, 18:50
Not to make light of someone's delicate mental state, but it's always a particularly horrible thing when someone involves someone else involuntarily in their bid to exit life... Not sure if that's the case here, just responding to the above hypothesis and the reference to the helicopter incident.

Oakape
25th Aug 2014, 19:33
There have been those who wanted to take their own lives, but wanted it to look like an accident for life insurance reasons. Hard to prove suicide when every one has been killed in a plane crash, even if there is strong circumstantial evidence.

scrufflefish
25th Aug 2014, 21:15
Have a look at the Basair site under 'aircraft'. They've got a C206 that looks remarkably like a Tobago and a motion simulator that seems to be installed in an old 206 fuselage. Maybe the pax thought he was having a go in the sim and freaked when he looked out the window? :E

And now back to the main story.........

BPA
25th Aug 2014, 21:54
Wonder if the pax was sitting up front next to the pilot? I can see CASA changing the regs, barring pax from sitting in control seats.

thunderbird five
25th Aug 2014, 21:59
GO PRO footage of the incident just released by ATSB....

The High & The Mighty funny cockpit moment - YouTube

Desert Flower
25th Aug 2014, 22:43
Angel Flight gone wrong ?

Funny, but that was the first thought that I had too! Many years ago Charlie Henderson (of Bullo River fame) had a drunk passenger grab him from behind during flight. Sara (Charlie's missus) grabbed him & sorted him out.

DF.

Neville Nobody
25th Aug 2014, 23:00
DF, that would be Irony

MaxFL360
25th Aug 2014, 23:45
Wonder if the pax was sitting up front next to the pilot? I can see CASA changing the regs, barring pax from sitting in control seats.

Preventing passengers from sitting up front would not work too well for some aircraft, seeing as they can be quite sensitive to weight distribution. Would surely be a few issues in having 2 pax in the back as opposed to one in the front the other up back

Aussie Bob
26th Aug 2014, 00:10
I think I would prefer him sitting next to me rather than grabbing me from behind!

training wheels
26th Aug 2014, 00:31
There have been those who wanted to take their own lives, but wanted it to look like an accident for life insurance reasons. Hard to prove suicide when every one has been killed in a plane crash, even if there is strong circumstantial evidence.

Yes, Silk Air MI185 comes to mind. Although, if I remember correctly, the Indonesian NTSC investigating it did not come to any conclusion, despite the evidence and the final report from the US's NTSB.

Frank Arouet
26th Aug 2014, 03:10
Ken May, Navair.

john_tullamarine
26th Aug 2014, 04:19
.. and I can bring to mind one sim checkie in his 80s

ChrisJ800
26th Aug 2014, 06:20
Just read the Barry Poppins link, seems like he moved the mixture lever to one of the engines to cutoff. If he was trying to commit suicide you would think he would move both together. :confused: A Duchess with 2 POB should be able to maintain altitude on one engine.

Homesick-Angel
26th Aug 2014, 06:29
A Duchess with 2 POB should be able to maintain altitude on one engine.

Not if your in a fist fight with a lunatic..

The pilot’s efforts left the elderly man with head and facial injuries.

Hilarious wording...

rioncentu
26th Aug 2014, 06:54
It would seem that the pilot has done a damn fine job in the circumstances if indeed the man (even elderly) was actually intent on disrupting the flight.

The fact that the pax appears to be injured and the plane came down off field would indicate pilot was seriously struggling.

It would be very hard to fight off a surprise attack from a seat next to you, let alone continue to fly a disabled aircraft.

Hats off to the pilot in what would have probably been a seriously frightening incident. Poor bugger.

Desert Flower
26th Aug 2014, 07:23
DF, that would be Irony

Given the amount of booze old Charlie & co. could put away it sure would be!

DF.

rioncentu
26th Aug 2014, 08:40
Interesting on the news tonight. Very young pilot. Pax was a pilot for over 50 years they say. A reverend. News had audio grabs from the Pan calls.

WTF???

Username here
26th Aug 2014, 09:24
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ybth/YBTH-Aug-25-2014-0430Z.mp3

Frank Arouet
26th Aug 2014, 11:04
Nobody picked up on my previous. The story in brief: Basair looks like it evolved from Navair. Ken May, Navair Principal was the pilot who took a chap for a joyflight to the Hills district near Sydney and was somehow incapacitated to the extent the passenger took control and crashed the aircraft into his girlfriends house killing both on board. I don't recall any injuries on the ground. Just history to be aware of.

cbradio
26th Aug 2014, 11:15
Missionary allegedly involved in flight drama (http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2014/08/26/missionary-allegedly-involved-in-flight-drama.html)

Cactusjack
26th Aug 2014, 11:15
Perhaps it was a CASA inspector?? :E

kaz3g
26th Aug 2014, 11:39
Bit spooky the photo of him beside Riama...

Kaz

Squawk7700
26th Aug 2014, 11:45
Geez after watching the video and hearing his pan call, one of the most stressful moments of his flying career most likely and he still managed to get 9 pans and 3 call signs out. Poor bastard I bet he's shaken up. Only one of them could win the punch-up and he's bloody lucky it was him!

Good on you James, what you managed to do was impressive, particularly at 23 :ok:

Technically I presume you would call this a hijacking. There have been very few such events in this country as noted earlier.

Sprite
26th Aug 2014, 11:54
Amazing job by the pilot. Also excellent work by ATC, it must be tough to maintain normal ops when something like this happens.

gerry111
26th Aug 2014, 11:54
Shouldn't this thread be titled "Duchess emergency landing"?

Congratulations to James Chandler for his splendid airmanship.

Basil
26th Aug 2014, 11:56
Once had a drunken oily going nuts in the back of an Aztec on the approach. Fortunately, the guy in the RHS hadn't been drinking and Mr Freakout's buddies calmed him down.
I asked ATC for a police presence at the terminal but there was no further trouble.
Something to think about if you're operating single crew.

1a sound asleep
26th Aug 2014, 12:22
Press Release (http://www.australiabyair.com.au/NewsItemDetails.aspx?pid=33) Australia By Air

Snippets from Les Nixon (http://www.outbackpatrol.com.au/snippets.php) Passenger

franco64
26th Aug 2014, 21:10
http://http://rt.com/news/182880-pilot-missionary-plane-fight/

Desert Flower
26th Aug 2014, 22:18
Technically I presume you would call this a hijacking.

That's what I thought too. Bet he didn't have time to squawk 7600 though!

DF.

BlatantLiar
26th Aug 2014, 22:54
Maybe he didn't squawk 7500 but he left his flaps down. :E

500N
26th Aug 2014, 23:04
Shouldn't this thread be titled "Duchess emergency landing"?
Congratulations to James Chandler for his splendid airmanship. Until I saw a side on photo late yesterday (as opposed to the one from behind with the aircraft in a dip which looked like a belly landing),
I didn't realise just how good a landing it was.

truthinbeer
26th Aug 2014, 23:06
Another one to add to the Pilot's Stories page - Pilot's Stories (http://www.outbackpatrol.com.au/pilot_stories.php) . He's led a life.

Well done the pilot. :ok: I hope the old bloke is ok.

RifRaf3
27th Aug 2014, 00:12
The pax conveniently remembers nothing.

It's regrettably consistent at this very preliminary stage with an insurance/suicide attempt, but no real proof. This should always be at the back of any G/A pilot's mind. Those intending suicide often prioritize their family's welfare (insurance) over the innocent pilots or other pax. It still is a suspected motive in MH370. Very unpleasant either way for the pax's family.

I know of one pax in an Otter many years a go who tried to jump out and nearly succeeded, but was restrained by other pax. After he calmed down they let him go and he made another dart for the door. It turned out to just be extreme claustrophobia, not attempted suicide, but this elderly pax was an experienced pilot.

Victa Bravo
27th Aug 2014, 00:14
Who's going to speculate about the issue with the old bloke then?

Anyone care to elaborate on his state of mind? Was it a conscious decision by Les or has he had some sort of "episode"?

And those in the know is BFP going to be flown out or trucked out?

VB

j3pipercub
27th Aug 2014, 00:25
I reckon God told him to do it.

RifRaf3
27th Aug 2014, 00:31
Another intriguing fact is that he hired a twin just to go and sign some papers when a cheaper single would do. I suspect he held an endorsement on the Dutchess judging by some photos.

truthinbeer
27th Aug 2014, 00:49
Maybe he'd simply reached the limit of his bladder and needed a pit-stop...

JimR
27th Aug 2014, 01:40
Not by any means in the same category I know, but it did bring to mind an incident I had many years ago. I had just completed a flight around the patch in a Cessna showing a family member the local area. It was his first flight in a light aircraft and he was somewhat excited. Right after we touched down he gave me a great slap on the back saying great flight well done! I guess he figured that with wheels on the ground the flight was over. Now I realize a 172 does not land at a great amount of knots, but I tell you we nearly ran off the bloody runway!

RifRaf3
27th Aug 2014, 02:26
What counts against a hijacking attempt is that he apparently did not attempt to disable the pilot, but only to grab the controls. He could not realistically expect the pilot to meekly hand over. If he "switched off the engines" as claimed, it's either a suicide attempt or a bizarre, fantasy enactment. If the latter, it's unlikely that you would remember absolutely nothing. In those rare situations people usually snap out of it after a short while. Hollywood loves those scenarios.
However, at this stage, the reporting is rarely accurate anyway.

LexAir
27th Aug 2014, 03:18
I suppose I am cynical, but no doubt the regulator will now be all over the operator checking CAO 20.11 status and other paper work.

Oakape
27th Aug 2014, 03:21
Dementia comes to mind.

Spotlight
27th Aug 2014, 03:27
Also the unfortunate Qantas pilot with the compulsion to close the fuel levers on the 747!

RifRaf3
27th Aug 2014, 03:37
Dementia fits loss of memory, but less so the shutting down of engines and the selection of an expensive vehicle for a trivial job.
The Qantas pilot had another business going in Mauritius and was allegedly intending to leave. He got his loss of licence insurance. There was and still is a reasonable doubt about the authenticity of his 'urge'.

gchriste
27th Aug 2014, 03:38
That must have been terrifying in those first few minutes. You can hear the fear and surprise in that audio.

Well done to the pilot.

Victa Bravo
27th Aug 2014, 03:51
If it was dementia then an interview with the family is required? How did he get to the airport? Does he have a drivers license? Is he going to jump the driver next time he catches the 389 to Bondi? Something don't add up here?

Scion
27th Aug 2014, 03:51
Lets wait for more facts!

We have at this stage only one account of the events in the cockpit.

BlatantLiar
27th Aug 2014, 04:08
You don't get to go to heaven if you take your own life so we can rule suicide out.

clotted
27th Aug 2014, 04:18
Also the unfortunate Qantas pilot with the compulsion to close the fuel levers on the 747!
He never got his hands on them and nor did he intend to. He couldn't fly for nuts, was an unsuccessful businessman on the side and wanted to be certified as a loony so that he could collect the loss of licence insurance. He's still at it. Have a look at his website.

Spotlight
27th Aug 2014, 04:26
Home run!!

Squawk7700
27th Aug 2014, 04:33
Lets wait for more facts!

We have at this stage only one account of the events in the cockpit.

So you're suggesting James the 23 year old CPL has no integrity and decided to smack about some 82 year old religeous guy who has conveniently forgotten what happened? :ugh:

"The passenger was taken to hospital with a leg injury"

Maybe he did stab him with the HB pencil!

What an ugly situation to find yourself in; poor guy will struggle to trust anyone again.

Desert Flower
27th Aug 2014, 04:43
And those in the know is BFP going to be flown out or trucked out?

Poor old BFP. I remember her well - she used to belong to CavPower in YPAD.

DF.

bentleg
27th Aug 2014, 06:00
I read somewhere that Nixon's licence was no longer current. Was it because of a medical issue?

It will be interesting to read an informed report.

Kenneth
27th Aug 2014, 06:27
Some occurrences like this (irrational sometimes violent behaviour which the person has no recollection of) can be because of an undiagnosed brain tumour.
Lets hope the Pilot gets back in the seat ASAP and the old Bloke ends up ok.

truthinbeer
27th Aug 2014, 08:09
Some occurrences like this (irrational sometimes violent behaviour which the person has no recollection of) can be because of an undiagnosed brain tumour.

It could also be something as innocuous and simple as a bladder infection that some older folk are prone to. The infection has them imagining all sorts of fantasy with no recollection after being treated with antibiotics.

Desert Flower
27th Aug 2014, 08:14
Just on the Channel 9 news - Nixon has been released from hospital, went straight to the police station & was charged with prejudicing the safe operation of an aircraft. He was granted bail to appear in Parramatta Local Court on September 24.
Police have also been granted a warrant to examine Mr Nixon’s Sydney home.

DF.

RifRaf3
27th Aug 2014, 09:12
I doubt that the police would lay charges if there were any doubts about his mental status.

megle2
27th Aug 2014, 10:19
Beer, ain't that the truth, had crossed my mind
UTI sure play some weird tricks on the oldies

truthinbeer
27th Aug 2014, 10:59
Beer, ain't that the truth, had crossed my mind
UTI sure play some weird tricks on the oldies

That's a fact that many children don't realise when their parent/s enter hospital for unspecified problems. If they start telling you strange stories about what has been happening overnight then straight away ask the nurses to test their urine for infection.

Jack Ranga
27th Aug 2014, 11:00
After doing some digging around I've tracked the identity of the ATC. Best in the room, a real gun :ok: had the filth there in no time!

Jabawocky
27th Aug 2014, 11:05
JR,

Ya mean the big fella was in on it too?

If so good work.:ok:

Jack Ranga
27th Aug 2014, 11:29
Nah, the big unit wasn't :E

A good lad though!

Victa Bravo
27th Aug 2014, 11:34
I doubt that the police would lay charges if there were any doubts about his mental status.

The cops don't make that decision. You'll be charged even if you're as nutty as a fruit loaf. It's up to the courts to decide whether you should be punished.

CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 205

Prejudicing the safe operation of an aircraft or vessel
205 Prejudicing the safe operation of an aircraft or vessel

A person who, whether on board the aircraft or vessel or not, does anything with the intention of prejudicing the safety of an aircraft or vessel is liable to imprisonment for 14 years.

Desert Flower
27th Aug 2014, 11:49
From today's Adelaide Advertiser:

A YOUNG pilot who made an emergency landing in central NSW after an elderly passenger tried to cut the light plane’s engine has been praised for his quick thinking.

Police are investigating the mid-air drama after the 23year-old was forced to land the single-engine plane in a paddock near Oberon at 3pm on Monday.

The 82-year-old passenger reportedly flicked a lever to shut down the engines of the four-seater aircraft and seized the controls during the charter flight.

The pilot wrestled with the man and restrained him, then sent out a distress call before making the landing.

The elderly man had booked the flight with Australia By Air from Sydney to Cowra. When the plane was over central NSW, the passenger, who was sitting next to the pilot, tried to take control of the aircraft, said Basair Aviation College’s David Trevelyan yesterday.

Well my eyes must be deceiving me - I could have sworn that the old girl had two engines the last time I saw her! :rolleyes:

DF.

Mimpe
27th Aug 2014, 14:02
It sounds like a neuropsychiatric event, or an organic brain syndrome. 6-7000 ft over Katoomba would be enough. I doubt that the court will find him guilty - my suspicion is that the passenger's ageing brain, bp or glucose levels or some there combination of factors left him very sensitive to the mild hypoxia ( he may have had marginal physiology) and he may have developed quite a lot of confusion and panic as a result. His physical state may have been particular to that day and not be reproducible. Its reported he handed in his licence - I wonder what prompted that.

As he was a trained pilot he would have reacted by reaching out for certain controls . I don't know the man, but I expect that if he can't remember the event, he won't be lying.

onetrack
27th Aug 2014, 14:23
He could have had a minor stroke that deprived his brain of enough oxygen to make him lose the plot and think he was driving the Duchess.

A dear old Auntie, in her early 80's, a few years ago, drove herself to church and then took a friend home from the church.
Despite driving O.K. she got lost and had to pull up and ask her friend (around the same age, maybe a little younger), where she was.

The situation was, there's no way she should have got lost, she was in very familiar territory, not far from her home. Her friend rang SWMBO right after she got home and told her she suspected Auntie had "had a turn" whilst driving.

Auntie told us the same story and couldn't figure out why she got lost and needed assistance and guidance. We took her to the doc and doc confirmed she'd quite likely had a mini-stroke that temporarily affected her awareness and cognitive reasoning.

She was quite O.K. for many months afterwards, but then had another minor stroke that seemed to knock her about and start her on the road to frailty.
She had a couple more minor strokes, and just as we were about to move her into a nursing home, she had a heart attack, and that was it.

The interesting thing was how she told us of various fantasy scenarios she had experienced whilst in bed, when she had the mini-strokes - such as giant insects under her bed.
We put it down to nightmares - looking back, it was probably hallucinations brought about by her oxygen-starved brain.

gerry111
27th Aug 2014, 14:28
Mimpe,

And in posting your opinions, your professional qualifications are?

Mr Nixon, a previously distinguished pilot has been charged with criminal offences.

I think that it is appropriate for the rest of us to now leave the matter to the courts.

FokkerInYour12
27th Aug 2014, 15:00
I am seriously going to think twice about having my elderly mother-in-law as a front row passenger.

(Unless the EO for the ejection section is approved)

Deaf
27th Aug 2014, 16:57
MIL not to keen on light ones ~ 1960 left New Ireland via float Beaver which got off on the 4th attempt (-one local on each previous attempt)

Next trip was with me 50 years later round Melbourne and the bay. Very chatty for most of it then would not talk (thought intercom had failed phew!). Clapped on landing (a good one) but then could not talk for 3 days!

Desert Flower
27th Aug 2014, 22:18
Mini stroke -aka transient ischaemic attack or TIA.

DF.

cbradio
27th Aug 2014, 22:25
It may]have been the media getting it wrong, but one TV report said he told the company when organising the charter he had never been in a small aircraft.

If true, it would seem to rule out the sudden medical problem theory. Shouldn't be too hard to determine if the charter was legit.

ranmar850
27th Aug 2014, 23:15
Did anyone do this scenario as part of their initial training? I recall my very experienced instructor suddenly saying, in level flight, "I'm a passenger, panicking and grabbing for controls, what do you do?' My elbow pulled up an inch from her temple before she could say any more. She agreed it would be effective, but perhaps a bit over the top as an initial response.;)

Dexta
27th Aug 2014, 23:40
My hypothetical scenario is, you have two pilots, an 82 year old and a 23 year old, they got to talking about LOP/ROP operations. The young one, who is up on all the latest knowledge, is pulling the mixture back to LOP. The old guy, set in his ways, exclaims "you'll blow the engines up!, Fuels cheap! Run it ROP!" A scuffle ensues and the young pilot knocks the old pilots hand away, causing the mixture to go to Idle Cut Off. The old pilot not trusting the young pilot to handle asymmetric operations tries to grab the controls. Young pilot clobbers old pilot and conducts a forced landing. :)

(Disclaimer: I was not there, I have never met the people involved, I've never flown a twin, I mean no disrespect, I do not work for CASA, I'm not a LAME, I'm not a CPL or ATPL etc. etc.)

capt.cynical
27th Aug 2014, 23:41
Snippets from Les Nixon (http://www.outbackpatrol.com.au/snippets.php)

Read his Bio. here.

Mad as a cut snake.

Oakape
28th Aug 2014, 00:05
There is a photo on that site with the Nixon's in front of a Duchess & suggesting that he flew the thing. So it would appear he has some time in the Duchess & would be familiar with it.

KRviator
28th Aug 2014, 00:34
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ybth/YBTH-Aug-25-2014-0430Z.mp3Starts 10 minutes in. Scary stuff. :eek:

gchriste
28th Aug 2014, 02:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username here View Post
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/yb...2014-0430Z.mp3
Starts 10 minutes in. Scary stuff.

And continues at http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ybth/YBTH-Aug-25-2014-0500Z.mp3 which is where they find them.

Desert Flower
28th Aug 2014, 04:48
Mad as a cut snake.

As are most of those bible bashers - especially the ones that used to be in the outback years ago!

DF.

500N
28th Aug 2014, 04:53
As are most of those bible bashers - especially the ones that used to be in the outback years ago!

The one's in the bush now, at least those I have met up north are a weird mob !

They are great for your industry (as in flights to remote places).

BlatantLiar
28th Aug 2014, 05:37
My hypothetical scenario is, you have two pilots, an 82 year old and a 23 year old, they got to talking about LOP/ROP operations. The young one, who is up on all the latest knowledge, is pulling the mixture back to LOP. The old guy, set in his ways, exclaims "you'll blow the engines up!, Fuels cheap! Run it ROP!" A scuffle ensues and the young pilot knocks the old pilots hand away, causing the mixture to go to Idle Cut Off. The old pilot not trusting the young pilot to handle asymmetric operations tries to grab the controls. Young pilot clobbers old pilot and conducts a forced landing.

(Disclaimer: I was not there, I have never met the people involved, I've never flown a twin, I mean no disrespect, I do not work for CASA, I'm not a LAME, I'm not a CPL or ATPL etc. etc.)

Nice attempt, I had a giggle. Personally I have not found an age trend when comparing who is enlightened and who isn't.

pilotdave69
28th Aug 2014, 06:54
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/yb...2014-0430Z.mp3
Starts 10 minutes in. Scary stuff.
And continues at http://archive-server.liveatc.net/yb...2014-0500Z.mp3 which is where they find them.

I run this Stream YBTH from home - it was pretty scary listening to this the first time on Monday night , would hate it ever to happen to me , forced landings bad enough .

Well done to the guy .. Over next few days , plane will be flown out of paddock, the ground needs to dry out a little.

Dave

vee1-rotate
28th Aug 2014, 10:18
JackRanga, wasn't CC was it ?

vee1-rotate
28th Aug 2014, 10:49
Using coords Taipan 22 relayed, this was the landing site:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/33%C2%B045'12.0%22S+149%C2%B053'30.0%22E/@-33.753441,149.889446,876m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Look's like the young man did a stellar job given the situation and the terrain !

LeanOfPeak
28th Aug 2014, 11:30
Listening to the audio and warnings given to them by ATC about the possible hijack situation, I was suprised Taipan 22 were willing to set down next to the sole visible person in the paddock who was waving frantically at them. Not sure I would have been as brave...
Bet the pilot was very glad they did though! :ok:

Jack Ranga
28th Aug 2014, 12:56
Vee 1, no.

Jack Ranga
28th Aug 2014, 13:05
I was suprised Taipan 22 were willing to set down next to the sole visible person in the paddock who was waving frantically at them.

I don't know, I'm guessing, but I reckon they would have been sorted for self defence with implements that project lead at high velocity :ok:

josephfeatherweight
28th Aug 2014, 22:24
No, they wouldn't have been armed...

drunk_pilot
28th Aug 2014, 22:34
What is Taipan 22?

wishiwasupthere
28th Aug 2014, 22:53
Navy Squirrel.

spinex
28th Aug 2014, 23:27
Far as I could make out from the audio, the pilot got hold of someone via mobile, who notified atc that the fella waving from the grass was wearing the white hat. That message was passed on to the Navy crew before they approached him.

SOPS
29th Aug 2014, 03:00
Lot of God talk on that guys blog page....I'm going for nutter.

Desert Flower
29th Aug 2014, 08:04
Lot of God talk on that guys blog page....I'm going for nutter.

Yep - it gets to them after a while. I wonder if he was singing "Nearer my God to Thee?" ;)

DF.

yr right
29th Aug 2014, 08:23
Word on the street is he asked for a female pilot. Someone smelt a rat and his request wasn't given. That person needs a medal.
Cheers