PDA

View Full Version : Golden Phonecall from BA

RMS
20th Sep 2001, 01:20
I've just got the golden phonecall I've been waiting for and have been accepted onto the BA CEP :)
I'm so lucky to have gone through final board last week just before they froze everything!!
I'm totally on cloud 9 and still can't actually believe it!!
It's kind of strange on the other hand because all courses have been frozen U.F.N. So I'm in there but also not at all- really wierd feeling. A mixture of complete success and happiness, but also of complete uncertainty.

There must be quite a few others in my situation who have got in over the last few weeks and have now been put into the holding pool.

If so, please get in touch so that we can try and work out our fate. I guess it's just a waiting game until we know the full implications of last Tuesday's disaster.

Also really weird that although I was nowhere near the terror in the US and don't know anyone who was killed or injured, it has still played a direct part in our lives, the fact that the courses we were meant to be on are at least for the moment, not going ahead.
Thankfully our distress is negligible compared to those really suffering and we must be very pleased and grateful for getting in. My thoughts are with the poor people who have really been hard done by.

RMS

Jockflyer
20th Sep 2001, 01:35
Good luck mate, I hope your course goes ahead.

I am a little jealous. I've had my ATPL(Frozen) for 11months now, and not had a sniff of an interview. Its not going to get better for me for a while, so if your course goes ahead, work hard, and be grateful for the opportunity you have been given.

Best of luck.

RMS
21st Sep 2001, 06:38
I only went through Final Board last week and found out that I was successful on Tuesday (this week). They told me congrats you've completed the selection process and normally that means we put you through a medical asap and then give you a course date, but in this instance there is no course date until further notice and likewise no offer of employment. I am to be put into the hold pool until BA resume courses. At the moment they couldn't comment on how long or if at all they will be starting courses??? Lets see what the future holds.
I'm sure that there are enough of us in the same boat, just hope it doesn't sink!!

Keep ya heads up and I'm sure in time we'll get our chance.
This sort of thing goes in cycles and it seems we caught the end of the cycle. My hope and understanding is that we'll be the first of the next cycle, whenever that may be??
Sit tight folks, at least we're in there with a chance :)

RMS

bigjarv
21st Sep 2001, 07:09
You guys are very lucky!!! Congrats! It seems my app was just to bloody late. Hey ho! Such is life. Good luck guys and don't forget us!!!!

M :cool:

PigsCanFly
21st Sep 2001, 21:29
Congratulations on getting the call.

BA's plans at the moment are such that training is postponed, not cancelled. With all the uncertainty over how things are going to pan out over the coming weeks and months, they're understandably reluctant to give away too much info., lest they subsequently need to backtrack on it. That's why you're being kept in the dark a bit at the moment.

Just try to be patient - they've got 400 pilots retiring over the next couple of years, so the demand is always going to be there. The main factor right now is conserving cash, in the face of a fairly uncertain future, and that's why no new courses are starting for the time being.

Congrat's once again, I'm confident that you can look forward to a great career with BA. :rolleyes:

F900B
22nd Sep 2001, 04:15
Well Done Guys

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd Sep 2001, 13:07
BA has approx 200 pilots to retire in the next 12 months. That will still leave about 200 with nothing much to do post grounding of the all the Classics, 6 * 767s and 4 * 737s. So if they are able to stand them down for 12 months and then take them back in over the 12 months after that then they won't actually need any new entry pilots for 24 months.

I therefore would not expect a course date for 2 years.

There are lots of other factors both positive and negative to that timeline estimate but thats my tuppence ha'penny on it all.

CRP5
22nd Sep 2001, 14:15
WWW that last post of yours is a complete crock of sh$t! nuf said

Sledge
22nd Sep 2001, 14:31
CRP5 sorry but WWW is probably quite accurate.This applies not only to BA,but most of the airlines as well.Interviews have been cancelled,training courses cancelled and redundancies predicted.This will only get worse if we enter a Jihad.People will not want to fly,fact! Less flights, less income for already stretched airline budgets,therefore no jobs for the boys.(and girls ofcourse to be pc).Sorry but thats life.

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd Sep 2001, 14:53
CRP5 - why? Please tell me.

Its really not very helpful to make a post like that.

If you know different then please tell us all - thats the whole essence of what the Wannabe forum can be at its best.

My view comes from talking to 3 good friends flying for BA. I'm just passing them along not making them up.

Cheers,

[ 22 September 2001: Message edited by: Wee Weasley Welshman ]

topunicyclist
22nd Sep 2001, 19:21
Congrats RMS on getting through.......I hope you get onto training at some point in the future.......I was supposed to have FB on 19th but was told it had been put off 2 days beforehand!

RMS
23rd Sep 2001, 16:15
Thanks for the congrats folks, I'm still buzzing from the news even though the near future looks grim.
I'll just have to sit and wait and see. Just v happy to have completed the assessment process and not be frozen half way through. That must be very annoying. Sorry to hear about your situation 'cyclist... I was so lucky to be at the last FB!!

The way I see it all- I went through FB after the US tragedy and got the good news after they decided to freeze it all. They could have just told me that I didn't make it. The fact that even after they knew the situation with the courses they still added another person to the hold pool must have some positive motive.

Just sit tight folks.

All the best,

RMS