PDA

View Full Version : Buccaneer Refueling probe

bill2b
20th Aug 2014, 18:08
Just had a nice visit to the Museum of flight at East Fortune, nice place to visit.
My question is that the Buccaneer had some markings on the refuelling probe, 0,3,5,7.
could anyone enlighten me on what they mean, my wife was very interested but I had no Idea, I never worked on the Bucc in my 23 years :)

ZH875
20th Aug 2014, 18:36
IIRC they are used as a standby bomb sight.

bill2b
20th Aug 2014, 18:51
Brilliant, thanks for that
Bill

cobalt42
20th Aug 2014, 18:55
I thought they were the PRIMARY sight :ok:

Downwind.Maddl-Land
20th Aug 2014, 19:05
Ah! So THAT'S why the S Mk 1 was so festering useless!

Bclass
20th Aug 2014, 20:27
The Strike Sight (like a HUD, but from the early 19th century) required a team effort to calibrate. Unless you had had your Weetabix it required two people to manhandle a large jig onto the (folded) nose. One techie would sit in the front seat looking through a monocular device attached to the Strike Sight. Another would be on a set of steps shining a torch into the prism attached to the top of the jig and a third would be on the ground, port side, just in front of the intake. The cockpit techie looked through the monocular at the pattern on the illuminated prism and compared it with the SS symbology. What happened next was a combination of shouting, finger rotating and fuselage slapping as cockpit tried to direct floor to adjust the H/V position of the symbology to match the prism pattern. Floor techie did this by finely adjusting a pot on the "dwidg" (Display Waveform Generator), a barrel shaped LRU that lived behind one of the oval shaped panels. Much fun ensued as floor techie would overshoot, cockpit would get annoyed and torch run out of battery.

In flight, if the SS failed, the single glass plate could be folded down to revert to manual. The probe marks were applied as part of the calibration effort. I doubt they were too accurate...

bill2b
20th Aug 2014, 20:54
Struth my head has just exploded lol
Thanks for the replies folks

GreenKnight121
21st Aug 2014, 03:39
And here I've heard so much about the Buccaneer's incredibly-capable avionics suite.

I'm so disappointed. ;)

dctyke
21st Aug 2014, 05:22
If you used luminous paint would it be a night sight :8

ORAC
21st Aug 2014, 06:26
And here I've heard so much about the Buccaneer's incredibly-capable avionics suite. the wonder of electronics. Nowadays all this would fit on one chip. I've read elsewhere that if tried to build the equivalent storage/power/music and film library of an iPad in the 1970s it would have taken a 35 storey building including several Cray supercomputers and it's own dedicated power station.....

Navigation and Bombing System NBS (H2S Mk 9A, Navigation and Bombing Computer NBC)
used in V-bombers Victor, Vulcan and Valiant. (http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvve/dduck0.html)

Arclite01
21st Aug 2014, 08:00
Wouldn't be surprised - certainly the ZX81 had more computing power than the computer that took Apollo to the moon.

There are a couple of interesting chapters in the book by Astronaut Michael Collins (it's called 'Carrying the Fire')

Arc

david parry
21st Aug 2014, 09:02
Ah, the days of the blue parrot and blue jacket ,and strike sight. The pinkys nightmare. We had are own strike sight King (Slim) He was a very rotund POREL Air. Shed many a pounds in sweat, setting up the 3 second warning etc ,etc on the long toss mode on the strike sight ,onboard HMS Eagle, in the lower hangar in the Far East :)

John Eacott
21st Aug 2014, 09:46
Shed many a pounds in sweat, setting up the 3 second warning etc ,etc on the long toss mode on the strike sight ,onboard HMS Eagle, in the lower hangar in the Far East :)

Ah, the splendid airconditioned hangars :cool:
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/p843x403/10551659_10203459761952298_2162958067736236103_o.jpg