PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Scilly link could be re-established by 2016

chopper2004
19th Aug 2014, 18:48
Helicopter manufacturer AgustaWestland eyes Scilly link | This is Money (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2727305/Helicopter-manufacturer-AgustaWestland-eyes-Scilly-link.html)

Pozidrive
20th Aug 2014, 12:18
From where? I couldn't see that mentioned.

The former heliport is now a Sainsbury's.

Thomas coupling
21st Aug 2014, 08:52
It would make sense to base the heliport @ Newquay - no?

farsouth
21st Aug 2014, 10:15
No. Newquay is twice the distance. Half the number of rotations in the day. It was already an expensive flight and depended on high frequency/ short distance/ high load factors. From Newquay you would have to charge much more and would struggle to fill the seats.

treadigraph
21st Aug 2014, 11:50
BIH had identified another potential site (St Agnes? Can't recall now...) before closing the service. Another option was Lands End Aerodrome (St Just).

Hope they manage it, PZ ain't quite the same without it...!

diginagain
21st Aug 2014, 12:47
BIH had identified another potential site (St Agnes? Can't recall now...) before closing the service. Another option was Lands End Aerodrome (St Just).
St Erth, on land adjacent to the mainline railway station. Killed-off by NIMBYism. Lands End aerodrome is owned by the Isles of Scilly Steamship Company who also own the Skybus operation. I can't imagine them offering to host a new helicopter operation...

Penzance is much quieter these days.

treadigraph
22nd Aug 2014, 07:55
Thanks Digin. St Erth would have been a good place. Didn't realise who owns Lands End; I seem to recall that BIH's plan was to close Lands End to light aircraft (?) which seemed a bit odd as St Mary's seems to work OK.

Earliest aviation memory was the BEA S-61N shuttling back and forth across PZ in mid-60s (that and being slightly scared by a loud and angry buzzing sound that turned out to be a Wasp!).

Finally got my ride out to St Mary's on the S-61N just before they shut the service down. Trip back on a perfect September evening was at low level around the coast past Lamorna and Mousehole - as much for the crew's benefit as the pax I suspect!

diginagain
22nd Aug 2014, 11:06
Despite living down that way for the past 18 years it was a trip I never managed to do. TBH I can't see anyone resurrecting a service unless they can find a suitable departure point that ties-in with the mainline rail service close to PZ.

treadigraph
22nd Aug 2014, 12:15
There's that nice big car park right next to PZ station...! :}

diginagain
22nd Aug 2014, 16:37
The one that, in winter, is full of boats, and in summer full of Emmets?

treadigraph
22nd Aug 2014, 23:23
Arrrrrr!

Curnow-Dreckly translation = Oh yes that's indeed the hardstanding to which I refer...!

diginagain
22nd Aug 2014, 23:59
I'm not sure Penzance Town Council could survive the loss of revenue from parked cars.

A big helipad on the end of Albert Pier would work, or they could fill Jubilee Pool with rubble.

Geoffersincornwall
25th Aug 2014, 05:32
... to create a heliport in the bay, a barge? breakwater? All it takes is money.

G

diginagain
25th Aug 2014, 16:45
All it takes is money.I think I've spotted the fatal flaw in your plan...

Geoffersincornwall
26th Aug 2014, 08:10
I wonder how the folk at ST Erth would respond if you told them these two things:

1. There WILL be a heliport at St Erth.
2. A Landing fee will be charged for every movement and a share paid to each household within 1 mile (?) of the new heliport. If just one pound per ticket were added for this 'solidarity' fund it would easily generate a sizeable fund each year. At the height of the season the old PZ operation was flying 24 rotations a day (2 aircraft). Sixteen seats per rotation so at a rough guess you might be able to give each household (I am guessing 40) a couple of hundred pounds a month. The reward would be proportional to their pain.

Then add the fact that from St Erth there could be four outbound and four inbound routes that will be used in rotation to minimise the flyover noise issues. The speed of modern helicopters makes small variations in routing hardly noticeable on the bottom line.

The Islands are a regional asset and they need a direct service from a railhead. West Penwith could capitalise on this regional asset and profit by it.

The money needs to come via the Islands and may be available from European Development funds?

G

diginagain
26th Aug 2014, 17:19
A quid a ticket bounty isn't going to go far, as any noise footprint will invariable cover large parts of Hayle, St Erth, Canonstown, and the posh houses overlooking the estuary at Lelant. Then you'll have the RSPB claiming compensation on behalf of the waders in the saltings...

Geoffersincornwall
26th Aug 2014, 17:26
.... Im not suggesting that you ASK anybody, last of all the RSPB. I said you TELL them how it is going to be. Pussy foot around and you will never get anywhere.

G.

diginagain
26th Aug 2014, 17:44
I said you TELL them how it is going to be.Best of luck with that one.