PDA

View Full Version : Rating expired >1 year and <3 years moved to back of licence

Camp Freddie
19th Aug 2014, 17:15
Went to the CAA for a different matter and got my EASA licence updated

While there they moved a rating that was just over 1 year expired to the back of the licence.

This has the effect that if I want to renew that rating an examiner can no longer sign my licence if I do the relevant training and PC on that type, a SRG 1173 would be required along with the SRG 2138 and I would have to pay again to get it moved back to the front.

If I had not updated my licence the training plus PC and the SRG 2138 only would have done it and the examiner could sign my licence and no payment required.

Basically as far as I can see, I have been disadvantaged because I got an update on an unrelated rating. And no amount of "discussion" with the ratings guy was helping ��

His position was that even if it's expired by 1 day and you update the licence it goes on the back!

Is this correct? Comments welcome ?

Curtis E Carr
19th Aug 2014, 17:38
See this (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2014109.pdf) and page 28 (under "Pages 5, 6 and 7:") to this (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:100:0001:0056:EN:PDF).

Camp Freddie
19th Aug 2014, 18:49
Thankyou, but b***er sounds like he was right if I have read it correct, not a particularly fair system though I think

muffin
19th Aug 2014, 19:37
You are lucky. My R44 rating which had expired by only about 5 weeks is completely missing from my new EASA licence.

Having said that, I think my LAPL was the first (H) one they had ever issued so nobody at the time actually knew what they were doing.

misterbonkers
19th Aug 2014, 21:24
CF - sadly it's correct. The CAA are however looking at changing this but its an EASA thing so will take a while.

Similar thing happened to me when I changed my home address - by the time they got around to processing it (3 months!) their records showed my 206 had expired by 2 days and I had been unable to get my PC done due to work/terrible winter winds/aircraft availability. Ironically though I could have done my PC in that time but the licence would have been invalid as they had reprinted a new one.

I lost out on work due to this but after a couple of emails the CAA (kindly) agreed to a quick postal turn around and no charge for reinstating the rating so all in all not too bad a result.

Hopefully the rule will change soon! The CAAs customer service is certainly improving.

Sloppy Link
20th Aug 2014, 19:32
They issued me an N ATPL(H) with a Scout/Wasp rating....that cannot be flown for PAT as an Annex II aircraft! Bizarre.

Hedski
27th Aug 2014, 16:02
So for simplicity, me that is being simple, what is the new procedure for renewal of an expired rating if your licence has had to move to another authority and there's nothing on the back of your new licence? Any ideas given it'll be the CAA that have all my previous rating records.

helimutt
27th Aug 2014, 22:30
Oh how i look forward to the EASA change after my next LPC next month. :eek:

400hover
17th Sep 2014, 16:45
(sorry the offtopic)

From Jar to Easa some people, me included, lost the atpl(h), that was in FCL 2.

"
(11) The holder of a CPL(H) and IR(H)
gained under previous amendments of JARFCL 2 up to and including Amendment 3 is
credited with the theoretical knowledge
requirements for ATPL(H) and IR(H).

"

Did someone faced this "problem"?

rotarywise
17th Sep 2014, 21:27
You are lucky. My R44 rating which had expired by only about 5 weeks is completely missing from my new EASA licence.

Having said that, I think my LAPL was the first (H) one they had ever issued so nobody at the time actually knew what they were doing. But there are no type ratings on an LAPL so 'they' were quite right and it is you who doesn't know what they were doing. It really isn't unreasonable to expect the holder of a pilot licence to understand the privileges and responsibilities that come with it. All of the regulations are freely available on the web and it is hardly the CAA's fault if you can't be arsed to read them.

ersa
20th Sep 2014, 03:22
400Hover,

Not quite sure what your saying, you never had an ATPL H, you had the credits , these don't transfer across, this is standard practice around the world.

Licence transfers across, exams don't.......