PDA

View Full Version : English language proficiency examiners in Dubai (or UAE)

Voodoo 3
19th Aug 2014, 15:05
Hi all,

To convert my old JAR licence to EASA I need to prove to those friendly fellows at the CAA that I am proficient in the English language. Despite being born, raised there and speaking the language my entire life, also it being on my CAA licence that my language is English and my GCAA one saying ELP 6, well apparently this just ain't enough for them.

To that end does anyone have any contact details of any examiners here who are licensed by the CAA to conduct said exam?

Really appreciate it as I have given all my docs to them and the application has currently been rejected as incomplete and if I don't complete within 30 days then they will charge me over 100 squid for the pleasure of them working on the conversion this far and then returning the docs to me.

Many thanks and PM's are fine if you wish,

V3

dashman20
19th Aug 2014, 15:48
Hi Voodoo 3,

I may be in a similar position,and also may have a contact-feel free to PM,regards.

Payscale
19th Aug 2014, 17:38
I was in the same situation. I took the test online from home. Easy. It depends who your national CAA accepts.

Rule3
19th Aug 2014, 20:10
If you were born there you do not say.... ain't.;)

GA Button
19th Aug 2014, 20:22
If my memory serves me correctly, they won't mark you as level 6 because you're a Brit and therefore a native speaker. They will, however, issue a letter saying as much. I had exactly this scenario a couple of years ago.

Innit

Payscale
20th Aug 2014, 06:31
The Emirate ELP test was done by an Australian company. My EASA authority did not accept that as a valid hence the online test from an European company. 140 euros I remember correctly.

kennedy
20th Aug 2014, 12:28
Try Niall manning, 380 capt, UK CAA approved.

Voodoo 3
20th Aug 2014, 13:35
Thanks Kennedy, someone put me onto him and I did contact him but he told me that he no longer did the exams unfortunately.

Rule 3, that's the beauty of being a native speaker. You can use and abuse the language but people still know what you are saying!;)

Don, I had a look at that site but unfortunately the UK is not one of the countries that accepts online testing. Has to be done face to face they say!

kennedy
20th Aug 2014, 15:59
Mate of mine did it on a LGW layover, there is an aero club nearby that charged him £25-30, I'm sure most uk destinations have a tester on site or nearby.

Dirigible
21st Aug 2014, 02:30
Ever since the CAA relieved me of a large amount of cash for my medical some 30 years ago as a student pilot, I am always amazed at just how much one has to pay to them for every step in their crazy egregious licensing process. Have to admit though, this one really takes the biscuit.

takeoffpowerset
21st Aug 2014, 03:17
Well my friend recently did his ELP exam at CAE Dubai , they give you a certificate which can be shown to get the endorsement on your particular license . You definitely need to take an appointment for the exam as they seem pretty busy with those .

Fromagio
21st Aug 2014, 06:24
I popped into to a little aero club in the UK where I got it sorted, it didn't cost anything either, CAA were happy enough. I gave the aero club a call before I went down and explained the situation to the chief instructor, they were very helpful.

PGA
25th Feb 2017, 16:52
Has anybody got any idea wether or not the UK CAA ELP test can be done in DXB at the moment?

Thanks!

Gunman returns
26th Feb 2017, 06:12
There are no UK CAA examiners in the UAE. Just been through all this and did mine at a flying school in Newcastle on a layover. 15 quid!

SANDPITHOLDING
21st May 2017, 08:00
I need to renew my ELP and under the Irish licence the online test is not accepted,so since I am working in the Middle East, any suggestions from someone in the same situation?

Cheers