PDA

View Full Version : Noise complaints lead to a vandalised helicopter

John Eacott
13th Aug 2014, 23:06
We all know how difficult it is to make a quid in aviation, but this sort of NIMBY attitude doesn't help anyone :sad:

Row over Gracetown flights (http://www.margaretrivermail.com.au/story/2482644/row-over-gracetown-chopper-flights/?cs=1429)

A GROUP of Gracetown residents are in a spin over helicopter joy flights they say are ruining the relaxed vibe of Cowaramup Bay.

Both sides are facing off over the issue with residents threatening to approach the civilian airspace control agency, Air Services Australia, while Cowaramup's Wild Blue Helicopters is seeking legal advice over a Facebook page it says slandered his business exclusively.

Creators of the Facebook group page, titled Margaret River Helicopter Flight Path Forum, shut the page down within 24 hours of starting at the weekend, citing a "barrage" of hostile posts.

Gracetown resident Marc Tomlinson is leading the campaign to re-route Wild Blue's Cowaramup Bay tourist jaunts, saying he and others were no longer prepared to live with noise and privacy intrusion from flights directly over homes.

During Sunday's good weather, Mr Tomlinson complained of four flights before lunch.

Wild Blue pilot and director Brett Campany confirmed Sunday had been his busiest day since February, with eight Gracetown flights between 9.30 and 5 pm.

"All were over 1500 feet above ground level and all varying flight paths of 1.5 kilometres either side of the intersection of Caves and Cowaramup Bay roads," he said.

Mr Campany said the region must learn to live with its growing acclaim, likening Margaret River's rising popularity and related social issues to that of the Gold Coast.

Cowaramup Bay Rd resident Suzy Melville – who says her home is directly under the flight path of the “Gracetown Blast” trip offered by Wild Blue – set up the Facebook page as a “discussion and action group”.

Although the page aimed to gauge the extent of impact from joyflights in the area and to develop a community response, Ms Melville said she was forced to shut it down after the debate got out of hand. She said she then had a reasoned individual discussion with Mr Campany, who had since averted her property.

But Mr Campany said he had been blindsided by the campaign, having already addressed the only direct complaint he had received – from Mr Tomlinson.

“I have done my best to look after the individual who has made the complaint. The Civil Aviation Safety Authority requires us to fly at 1000 feet, but when Marc contacted me in January, I increased my flying height to 1500 feet,” Mr Campany told the Mail.

“He hasn’t contacted me since so I was under the impression everything was alright.”

The residents denied they were trying to shut Mr Campany’s business down, saying they want the flight path deviated over adjacent national park and to routinely “mix up” the 22-kilometre coastal flight to avoid constantly flying over the same homes.

However Wild Blue said broadening the flight path would push up the cost of joyflights, which were aimed at the “average wage earner”. The 10-minute “Gracetown Blast” costs about $90.

Mr Campany said while CASA governed safety issues, use of local airspace was unrestricted.

Augusta Margaret River Shire’s only jurisdiction over his business related to the use of land at his leased Bussell Highway base, just south of Cowaramup.

He invited any concerned residents to visit his office for an open discussion.

“We can only do so much. I am guided by the CASA regulations and we never breach them. I have a 100 per cent safety record.”

Wild Blue has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in set-up costs and, despite its seasonal popularity, has yet to turn a profit since opening last year.

Mr Campany said he appreciated residents enjoyed the bay for its beauty and serenity, but the same qualities had helped create demand for a broader range of tourism products.

“As its popularity increases Margaret River is becoming more like the Gold Coast, with more tourism operators coming in to service the market.”

As a community service, Mr Campany said he had conducted regular shark patrols, fire-spotting flights, medi-vacs and missing person searches.

Mr Tomlinson said there were already several operators offering Margaret River flights and the situation needed attention.

“It is an issue that can only get worse over time and needs to be addressed for the sake of residents in the region,” he said.

“It would appear that our only option is to form a cohesive group so that we can approach the authorities that control airspace… it may be possible to get a “Fly Neighbourly Advice” implemented.”

FWIW a 'Fly Neighbourly Advice" is only an advisory procedure in Australia, and has no legality in controlling flightpaths or airspace use. No doubt Mr Tomlinson believes otherwise :rolleyes:

Stanwell
14th Aug 2014, 17:08
Has anyone told Mr Tomlinson it's a Robbie that's flying over his backyard?

Seriously though, Brett Campany seems to have been bending over backwards to mitigate any intrusiveness caused by his fledgling operation.

The Margaret River Region needs every tourism boost it can get.

Good luck to you, Brett. Don't let the turkeys get you down.

terminus mos
14th Aug 2014, 23:09
Margaret River is not the Gold Coast and never will be, thank goodness. If I lived there, I wouldn't want an R44 flying over my backyard 8 times per day.

I am with Tomlinson on this one, little Tourist helicopters are a nuisance.

DOUBLE BOGEY
15th Aug 2014, 01:58
TM as a Rotorhead thats a shocking statement to make!

Stationair8
15th Aug 2014, 02:04
Bit like the nimby that rang up and complained about the noise that the firefighting choppers were making last summer while fighting fires on the bush land in the next suburb.

CRAZYBROADSWORD
15th Aug 2014, 07:48
From long and bitter experience with people like this it can be very hard to appease them if they look up and see a helicopter then to them it's right over their house !? Recently two such complainers near me were asked what was louder the helicopter flying circuits or the cars driving past their house , needless to say it was the cars after which they shut up for awhile .

Eight flights in a day does not seem that much maybe take the guy flying and show him the efforts being made to minimise the noise impact and if that doesn't work maybe have him sectioned ?

CBS

terminus mos
15th Aug 2014, 15:56
I know DB, I was really being tongue in cheek and trolling!

Looks like Brett Campanay did a good thing for a calving whale....."It felt like we were in a David Attenborough episode."
That’s how Margaret River tourism operator Sean Blocksidge has described the experience of using a helicopter to scare a shark away from a calving whale in Cowaramup.
Sean was up on a flight with his mate Brett Campany from Wild Blue Helicopters to take some aerial photos of the region yesterday, when they stumbled upon an incredible scene.
"As we flew by the Wilyabrup Cliffs I spotted what looked like a very, very big fish from that high up,” he said.
This big fish turned out to be a southern right whale and Sean said he thought it was trying to give birth because of how close it was to shore.
"I’d seen another whale doing the exact same thing in the exact same spot about a month earlier,” he said.
However, Sean said just as they flew over Brett spotted a 3-4m shark cruising along the beach heading straight for the calving whale.
"Brett just made a decision to drop the helicopter above the ocean and herd the shark back out to deeper water."
"I’m all for letting nature do its thing but it would have sucked for the whale to have gone through 12 months of gestation only to have its baby gobbled up on birth."
The plan worked, with the shark beating a swift retreat once the helicopter closed in, which Sean put down to Brett's expert piloting.
"Don’t underestimate the herding capability of an R44 – that shark spun around and swam off so fast it would have won Olympic gold in the 1500 metres," Sean quipped.
He said after they had scared the shark off Brett was mindful of not scaring the whale so they landed just above the beach so they could watch quietly from above as the whale gave birth.
"We could literally hear her [the whale] heaving and breathing in the surf and all the while we were just hoping the shark had stayed in deeper water.”
But, then things took another interesting turn with the arrival on the scene of some more ocean dwellers.
"While we debated the pros and cons of getting back up in the air a dozen or more dolphins arrived to encircle the calving whale and protect her.
Sean said after this they decided to let nature take its course and leave the dolphins to "manage the maternity ward for the night" while they headed back to Cowaramup for the sunset.
He described the experience as one of the best in a six-year career showcasing the Margaret River region to visitors
"It was just amazing to watch and it felt like we were in a David Attenborough episode."
"I gave up an office job six years ago [for this] and I haven’t had a single boring day at work in all this time but yesterday will go down as one of my best memories so far," he said.
Sean said the Margaret River region was an ideal whale watching location with more than 40,000 whales migrating up and down the coast every year.
"Some days we can see as many two dozen whales across the horizon – right here on our doorstep,” he said.
Sean said he had no problem with Wild Blue Helicopters flying over his property after a group of local residents said the helicopter joy flights were ruining the relaxed vibe of Cowaramup Bay.
"I’m stoked Brett is up there most days," he said.
"I live in Kilcarnup and I couldn’t be happier in the knowledge he’s the first to see smoke during the bushfire season and regularly flying over my local beach when the family is out swimming and surfing.
"He’s got a proven track record for spotting sharks and fires and he gets a big wave from me when he flies over our house."
- Augusta Margaret River Mail

Read more: WA helicopter crew save birthing whale from shark (http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/wa-helicopter-crew-save-birthing-whale-from-shark-20140815-1049cw.html#ixzz3ATcC1JT0)

dubbleyew eight
17th Aug 2014, 09:23
one of the problems these people will have is that the entire area from augusta up the coast to dunsborough is incredibly quiet.
no industrial activity and very little heavy traffic.

any noise from an aircraft would be intrusive.

...one of my favourite areas to go for a fly as it happens. a 2 hour round trip from perth.

DOUBLE BOGEY
17th Aug 2014, 09:53
It sometimes helps just to offer them a visit to the operation and a flight and involve them in the route selection. This can turn an embittered enemy into a lifelong friend. Sometimes!

huey
18th Aug 2014, 07:42
Just spoken to Brett.

He found the machine with a smashed rear door window today. It could be accidental damage from the high winds but no evidence of debris in or around the chopper.

When I work out how to link to his FB you can see the pics.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=686742718079822&set=pcb.686743521413075&type=1&permPage=1

Hope that works

Huey

Left_Pedal
18th Aug 2014, 22:35
After recent noise complaints and a threat to "keep the aircraft on the ground" from one individual, this is what I arrived to at work around midday today.

There's no branches, sticks, stones or any evidence that it was an object flying around in the wind that has hit the helicopter. There was debris from the window inside the machine and 2 large pieces on the grass outside as well.

So it's a 3 hour ferry tomorrow to Jandakot and back in the hope to find a door that fits my machine so I can carry on with my bookings over the next few days.

Police have been notified and so have the local media.

Just speechless that someone will go this far over helicopter noise.

The temporary patch is to stop any rain from getting inside. I'll be flying up tomorrow with the door off.

http://www.bladeslapper.com/content/bb/download/file.php?id=1182&mode=view

http://www.bladeslapper.com/content/bb/download/file.php?id=1181&mode=view

http://www.bladeslapper.com/content/bb/download/file.php?id=1180&mode=view

lelebebbel
18th Aug 2014, 23:22
I wouldn't fly that. Taking the door off is no problem, but how do you know that they haven't also pissed in the fuel tanks or poured some gas in the engine or what-ever-else you can think off?

Someone who smashes aircraft windows as a response to noise is obviously a mental case - reason and logic do not apply to such individuals. Anything is possible.

On a positive note, I'm sure they will enjoy what's coming to them. Overflying a federal prison at low altitude is generally discouraged, so they will have plenty of time free from aircraft noise.

fatmanmedia
19th Aug 2014, 00:23
totally disgusting, so you make a little noise, so what the idea of vandalising your heli is not on.

I agree with lelebebbel i would check the fluids and hoses as well, I would also give the seats a check to see if they have been urinated on.

Also what are the local police saying, have they taken any forensics to see if there is any fingerprints or blood?

I'm feel sad for you, I hope things get better.

Fats

onetrack
19th Aug 2014, 01:14
The West Australian police will be sure to file a report in the round file under the desk. This is the police force that has a long list of bungled investigations, wrong people jailed, and a long list of unsolved murders.
However, if that helo pilot had been caught speeding to the airstrip or caught driving 2 metres without a seatbelt on as he drove off, he'd be a greater criminal than anyone simply breaking a chopper window.
Hey, choppers fly without doors, what's the difference with a broken window, anyway? :hmm:

I'd say it's time to invest in some active, discreet security. Good surveillance cameras cost a lot less than they used to.

John Eacott
19th Aug 2014, 01:44
The West Australian police will be sure to file a report in the round file under the desk. This is the police force that has a long list of bungled investigations, wrong people jailed, and a long list of unsolved murders.

Since interference with an aircraft is a Federal offence, I am sure that Left_Pedal has either contacted or will be contacting the Federal Police (08 9320 3444) as well as involving the WA Police in a criminal damage case.

Plus the local and Perth media :E

huey
19th Aug 2014, 02:18
Hi John

Yes Left_Pedal has contacted the Feds but very surprisingly they are not interested as in their words 'it's in a regional area'. Local plod have been informed.

Huey

John Eacott
19th Aug 2014, 02:59
Up to him to either accept a jobsworth response or take it further.

Last time I looked the law applied throughout Australia, not just in capital cities :hmm:

500N
19th Aug 2014, 03:05
Drop a couple of keywords (S at A and T) and the persons intent to get the feds interested !

onetrack
19th Aug 2014, 03:57
If you think you'll get some serious, dedicated, intensive police response, to a simple broken window in a chopper in a small country town, you've got an unrealistic idea of what the Federal Police and WAPOL are actually interested in.

We're talking about people who are basically public servants, and who have to also justify to bosses, about using scarce police resources to travel to a distant scene of a complaint, and investigate what they regard as minor damage; that, in their minds, could have easily been a local juvenile intent on some mindless vandalism.

Meantimes, they have $20M drug raids planned for tomorrow, they are most likely going to have to deal with a "domestic" that ends up in a siege and homicide any time soon; there's probably several murder investigations under way; they probably have at least 15 serious motorcycle gang complaints to deal with, from drugs to illegal handgun trafficking, to standover tactics, to investigating new club fortifications; and they are still dealing with the paperwork and demands from criminal lawyers and courts, from the last lot of sleazy scumbags they tried to nail.

There are, and have been, 5 police in my immediate family; from Superintendent, Senior Sgt, and detective, right through to constables.
They are always "prioritising" complaints, and I can assure you, a broken window in a chopper won't get top-level priority unless there are accompanying threats, or other supportive evidence of criminality, that can be proved in court.

My advice to be proactive with security and surveillance when the chopper is parked up, still stands.

John Eacott
19th Aug 2014, 04:27
unless there are accompanying threats, or other supportive evidence of criminality, that can be proved in court.

I hear what you say, but.....

After recent noise complaints and a threat to "keep the aircraft on the ground" from one individual, this is what I arrived to at work around midday today.

huey
19th Aug 2014, 04:35
Brett has sourced a replacement door so will be continuing his flights. He said to me he will try the Feds again John.

Huey.

mickjoebill
19th Aug 2014, 13:43
There looks to be a crease in the door a few inches under the window, a result of the impact on the window or a separate impact?
What are the black marks to the left of the door latches?

Mickjoebill

cockney steve
19th Aug 2014, 21:00
I'm sure, also that the vandal has absolutely not the slightest idea that
his token gesture of breaking a $5 piece of plastic from the DIY store, has actually cost several thousand dollars to rectify.

Joe Public hasn't a clue about the telephone-number prices in Aviation.

You can now get battery-powered surveillance-cameras with a SD memory-card...discreet and powerful! download the card about once a week, i believe.-play through a TV, Computer or even some printers.

Left_Pedal
20th Aug 2014, 03:35
G'day Mick,

that was an old injury to the door, bit of a bugger that it's there because a lot have asked about that big scratch.

OneTrack's right unfortunately, the WAPOL & Feds don't have any interest in this. There's been no further investigations and without any further evidence, DNA, prints etc, it'll lay dormant unless the crim spills the beans or tries at again during daylight hours.

The machine is now being hidden of an evening. The focus for me now is to get back into preparing for the summer season and the excess bill from the insurance company for the door.

All up this incident will cost me in the vicinity of about $8000 to $10,000 which will probably sink me in the long term.

500N
20th Aug 2014, 04:01
You can now get battery-powered surveillance-cameras with a SD memory-card...discreet and powerful! download the card about once a week, i believe.-play through a TV, Computer or even some printers.

They are called Game Cameras, originally designed for watching animals in an area day and night (Search Youtube and Google and you can see just how good they are). We leave them out in the bush for weeks on end, getting rained on, frozen and they continue to work.

The big benefit of them is that they don't use up a lot of battery life just sitting there doing nothing and really only use power (battery life) when something triggers them to take a series of photos or a video. Combine that with the superb, very low discharge Eneloop Rechargeable Batteries and they can go months.

I am surprised more airfields don't have them in hangars etc, a very small price to pay to get a photo.

In case any of you do look at them in the future, the one's to get are those that can take IR photos and video WITHOUT showing any sort of red light on the front (dead give away in a dark building).

Hope that helps.

dubbleyew eight
20th Aug 2014, 10:39
I don't know that the police will not investigate but when they do what evidence would they find?

security camera footage?

if you can't work out who vandalised the chopper why do you think they could?

cockney steve
20th Aug 2014, 10:56
Hi, Left Pedal.
Hows about an A3 size poster in a stake, plonked on the site where your machine was vandalised?

"reward $10,000
damage to heli.
here. xx. xx.xx
info. leading to
conviction will
be well paid.
contact xxx"

With a bit of luck, thick vandal's mate may think he's getting the 10K
a post, plywood, paper glue and a big felt -tip, shouldn't cost more than $20 and that may be the best investment you've ever made.

Even if you don't get a bean back,the deterrent value of being caught,is priceless.

Left_Pedal
30th Oct 2014, 05:02
Helicopters flying overhead apparently cause negative emotional & psychological trauma.

Amongst other things....

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/Campany_Family/IMG_8899.jpg

ecureilx
30th Oct 2014, 08:35
I am not into anything related to flying .. but, maybe Mr Forest can put up a note that his property cannot be flown over for joy rides ?

Silent majority opposing ? Opposing what ?

Reely340
1st Nov 2014, 18:56
The whole thing is a numbers game: Having airliner traffic landing at runway 11 in Vienna means they are descending above roughly 200.000 residents in during their less than 3000ft AGL approach path section, with duration of noise app. 60secs.

Personall'y I'd say one landing per hour is irrelevant, maybe even a feature, along the lines of "damn, that must be the 2PM flight, I gotta do ...".
Ramping up towards two flights per hour, maybe even four per hour, like the old mantlepiece clocks chiming every 15 mins is still ok, at least for a +1.5 million people city. Mind you I'm speaking as an aviation afficinado and helo pilot, YMMV.

But directing an airliner every 90secs over that path is a major nuissance, especially in calm no-wind or even slight tail wind weather.

Thus
it all boils down to find a number of flights (per flight path) per day that the majority of residents can be convinced of being tolerable in a modern, free world. A gentle reminder that neither party owns the sky could be a levelling intro speech.
That task requires cooperation and tolerance on both sides.

Once these numbers (per flight path) have been established it's up to the operators to split the cake evenly among them. Again, this requires cooperation and tolerance among all operators, and some backing up by authorities, to prevent a new, "****'em, airspace is class G" type op ruining the delicate balance.

I'd say both parts are hard work, but worth attempting. Chances of success will diminish steeply when temper rises. Being polite and explaining the cost a smashed window resulted in could both be unxepected news for the residents.

Good luck & go for it.