PDA

View Full Version : Another Near Miss

MightyGem
18th Aug 2014, 21:06
Lucky crew:
UviOZUmTTnE

Rhino power
18th Aug 2014, 21:35
Assuming the video is genuine, surely a SAM warhead detonation that close (also assuming co-altitude of SAM and Egg Whisk) would have been terminal?

-RP

NutLoose
18th Aug 2014, 21:46
I thought that too, there would be a lot of shrapnel winging about.

500N
18th Aug 2014, 22:06
Anyone know what type of SAM it was ?

It says it dodge a "multitude" of heat seaking missiles,
but I didn't see any flares ????

Any ideas ?

Aynayda Pizaqvick
18th Aug 2014, 22:43
Flares are normally a last line of defence these days with a host of other IRCM available, including our own iterations of Directed Infrared Counter Measure (DIRCM, wiki it). Dont know what the Russians have produced in the way of DIRCM but they have fitted Adros KT-01AVE and KT-02AVE to Hips and other helos, so could well be that doing the business here...

It looked to me like it detonated a good way below the aircraft, still far to close for my comfort mind you!

Lima Juliet
19th Aug 2014, 05:47
It looks like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) to me and it looks like it exploded well below the helicopter (it's hard to judge distances with no 3D). RPGs either detonate on impact or have a self destruct fuse after about 4 seconds or so. When fired upwards, if they don't hit anything, then they go 'bang' and send shrapnel out at anything nearby. Effective height above the ground would be in the region of 2-3000ft depending on type. Most RPGs are point and shoot and are unguided.

Close call? I don't believe so. But then I could be wrong!

LJ :ok:

ImageGear
19th Aug 2014, 06:49
One video frame before detonation at the very edge of the image, it appears to show the missile motor vapour trail cut-off before detonation has occurred.

It is then followed in the next frame by the detonation when passing the target well below and slightly ahead. The motor cut-off vapour trail is still visible. The chopper does not appear to divert from it's track.

To my very untrained eye it would suggest a fair degree of missile guidance to achieve this and the fact that it detonates while well below would suggest some level of active counter measure was operating.

Just my perception based on the images.

Ready for incoming...:ok:

Imagegear

Typhoon93
19th Aug 2014, 07:03
That's a brown trouser moment if I've ever seen one. Fair play to the pilots, having a warhead detonate under or near your aircraft can't be a particularly nice experience, no matter how many times it's happened.

Wander00
19th Aug 2014, 10:36
8 lives to go - lucky guys

Lima Juliet
19th Aug 2014, 11:01
RPG - the clue is in the name 'rocket propelled'. Here is a pic of RPGs being fired at a ship. Note that the rocket still burns after it leaves the launcher - some have smoke trails (the older ones) some don't...

http://defense-update.com/images_lr/rpg_attack.jpg