PDA

View Full Version : E-Goat down again

nutnurse
18th Aug 2014, 15:21
Something serious seems to have happened to the Goat. A couple of weeks ago it went down but recovered in 24 hours. It went down again the other day and as of yesterday has disappeared from the Google menu in favour of a goats' cheese salad recipe in Italian and a Twitter thread of the same name run by students in Georgia, USA. Has the Goat died? I do hope not and that there will be no references to goat curry by members of other military forums. Any Goat Mods about? Vim? FOMz? Wobbly?

nn aka FBN :sad:

Basil
18th Aug 2014, 21:20
Just checked - "Firefox can't find the server at www.e-goat.co.uk."

Courtney Mil
18th Aug 2014, 21:42
Yep. It's dead. Thank Goodness you let us know.

diginagain
18th Aug 2014, 23:22
Such a shame... :}

Robert Cooper
19th Aug 2014, 02:53
Yup, it appears the server is down. :sad:

Bob C

Linedog
19th Aug 2014, 07:33
It's about time it was put out of its misery.

Wensleydale
19th Aug 2014, 08:02
Perhaps its started to roll?

airpolice
19th Aug 2014, 08:33
Once they stopped issuing free shoes... it was only a matter of time.

Onceapilot
19th Aug 2014, 18:52
Our Squadron goat died....!

OAP

nutnurse
19th Aug 2014, 19:01
What became of the squadron? :ooh:

Onceapilot
19th Aug 2014, 19:08
Like the Goat,.....Gutted!:oh:

OAP

Wensleydale
19th Aug 2014, 20:06
Perhaps its just kidding? (or a victim of the nanny state).

reds & greens
20th Aug 2014, 20:46
Oh no, the final(?) demise of the RAF's informal, yet often highly informative and first point of relevant data. Where will the senior officers go now to find out exactly what's happening? - oh, hang on a minute...

nutnurse
21st Aug 2014, 11:12
OAP you weren't at Lyneham, were you? 'The Goat' (original print version) was a squadron magazine there. It is said by those who might or might not know the true facts that the electronic version came about as somebody's degree project. Perhaps somebody went for a crafty smoke in a fuel storage area - goatflagration! :oh: :{

Moi/
21st Aug 2014, 18:00
Lets hope its back soon, otherwise I think we might need an "Us" and "Them" sub-section of this forum.

airpolice
21st Aug 2014, 18:27
I think we need that anyway :-)

MPN11
21st Aug 2014, 19:00
Maybe that's why I stopped looking at E-Goat about 6 years ago. :O

Crabfatbill
21st Aug 2014, 20:24
Arrse and Rum Ration seem to hove gone west also. Is it a subversive plot ?

CFB.

nutnurse
23rd Aug 2014, 15:22
CFB perhaps the titles were too UnPC for this sensitive age. No doubt they will reappear as 'Ps & Qs - but no Rs in the J but no longer R Mess', 'Lemonade Unrationed,' and 'No Goats - were hurt in producing this blog'.

I've just checked and ARRSE, Navy Net/Rum Ration and Rear Party are back up up again, albeit with a new-looking, common corporate style provided by Olive Net Ltd. If I remember correctly, the Goat (which isn't back) not long ago disclaimed all connection with Olive Net. I wonder just how unofficial 'unofficial' really is at the moment. I'm not accusing anybody of anything of course, perish the thought.

diginagain
23rd Aug 2014, 16:22
Arrse and Rum Ration are doing just fine...

Vim_Fuego
23rd Aug 2014, 19:17
Sorry to say it looks like the site owner flicked the switch.

muttywhitedog
24th Aug 2014, 09:05
If true and the site owner has switched it off, its a shame that the users, subscribers and donators weren't even afforded a courtesy mass e-mail to let them know of his intentions.

Even Ovivo mobile managed that!

Courtney Mil
24th Aug 2014, 11:54
Stand by for mass migration. I hope PPRuNe's border controls as as watertight as the UK's.

Avionker
24th Aug 2014, 12:27
Some of us are here already, and have been for some time.....:eek:

Courtney Mil
24th Aug 2014, 13:45
It's OK. They'll find you and offer you benefits. :p

nutnurse
24th Aug 2014, 14:29
Avionker - time to wake up the sleeping moles (my father used to do it with a spade, he did hate a hilly lawn).

Wotcha Vim, Mutty, etc., is FOMz with you? I had to change names when I joined a few months ago. Now, as we were saying before we were so rudely interrupted...

Ex-FBN

If FOMz is coming we'd better make sure he wipes his feet and knows which knife and fork to use...as I've said before, they're very odd in Gloucester.

Exrigger
24th Aug 2014, 15:45
Thanks for the heads up Vim, as another who is/was? a member of E-goat and also PPRune (for that matter iconic/UKAR/Fighter Control as well), it will be interesting how many others will post here to add to the diversity of views and knowledge that is seen on this site.

gr4techie
24th Aug 2014, 16:11
If true and the site owner has switched it off, its a shame that the users, subscribers and donators weren't even afforded a courtesy mass e-mail to let them know of his intentions.

The users gave the E-Goat website money, only for the website to disappear? I would not be happy if I was in the donators shoes.

Almost as scandalous as when the board of directors of Bradford Rugby League got into debt and asked the gullible fans to donate "to the club". Few months later, the directors exit stage left and what is left of the real club was abandoned still in difficulty. Apparently the players ha not been paid in months and the club had to cut the steel safety barriers in the stands and sell them for scrap metal.

nutnurse
24th Aug 2014, 17:41
I donated a little to the site but I can afford it and it's Life, etc. If, however,the site owner has grabbed the donations and is now sunning himself/herself on the proceeds then may he/she catch Ebola, say I! Don't forget to cancel your direct debits or standing orders, people. (Unless the Goat finds another home, of course.)

Is there a donations process for PPRuNe, does anyone know?

nutnurse
24th Aug 2014, 21:40
Well done, FOMz! I shall await events with eagerness as I'm sure will many others. Let us know if you need a little cash and hey! Stay in touch here anyway.

(Such a good boy.)

mad_collie
24th Aug 2014, 22:14
There was no cash in the pot.

From the proceeds of the site, the owner wouldn't have had enough petrol to get off his fecking driveway - let alone the Maldives.

So stop that sort of talk now.

Linedog
24th Aug 2014, 22:24
"A few of the old crew are having initial discussions to see if it is viable and possibly revamp",............... "of their ego's" sounds more like it. Some people just can't see where the original downfall started from. Ditch the so called feckin supermods and go back to the original format which worked so well before the ego's took over and it may well stand a chance.

This from a former donator and subscriber.

plans123
24th Aug 2014, 22:37
Those grapes must be sour linedog, still grinding that axe. At least when you left no one had to suffer your predictable unfunny 'quips' anymore. I hope that they do get the Goat back up personally.

diginagain
24th Aug 2014, 22:39
I hope that they do get the Goat back up personally. Me too. Coming over here and lowering the tone of the place...

cooheed
24th Aug 2014, 22:56
It was a good place for the Ivory Towers to get a feel for the shop floor..

Laarbruch72
24th Aug 2014, 23:30
It was a good place to have your ego massaged if you were one of the "supermod" original cabal, it seems the place never moved on from that. Shame.
Line dog is right, it was run by a minority for the benefit of their own personal narcissistic tendencies.

downsizer
25th Aug 2014, 05:46
Those grapes must be sour linedog, still grinding that axe. At least when you left no one had to suffer your predictable unfunny 'quips' anymore. I hope that they do get the Goat back up personally.

Well said mate. I hope it returns, over the years it was an invaluable source of info and gen for people. Helped me out on many occasion.

nutnurse
25th Aug 2014, 11:26
Re. post 32.

If the cash had run out or was about to and we'd been told, some of us might have been in the position to fork out a rather more serious amount so long as we weren't chucking good money after bad. If we would have been then there's no point in trying to resurrect the Goat. I notice somebody has made a criticism of 'Supermods', which may be true or false or somewhere in between, I wouldn't know. Immediately, however, he was insulted rather than discussing his point rationally. There's been a lot of that recently.

The aggressive tone of post 32 is predictable given its source. If Wobbly or another goater was the site owner then I apologise to him for my bad taste joke. I thought it may have been a commercial arrangement with some IT company.

But, my dear old Cornish pasty, if you really feel the need to swear at me, kindly do so by PM rather than by flaming at me. Or, with somewhat moderated (no pun intended) language, behave as in the Mess (OM or WOSM) and call somebody you feel the need to insult "Sir" - nothing to do with rank. This came up a few weeks ago when the anti-religious ranters were banging on. And do remember when giving people orders that whatever you are or were on the Goat, you're not a Mod here.

I'm certainly going to stay here, unless I'm chucked out, and I hope all being well to be back on the Goat. I think, as Goat Mods seem to be licking their wounds at present, I'll lay off the banter.

Offshore Addict
25th Aug 2014, 14:39
Best left dormant I think. It started well but rapidly descended into a forum where certain individuals got way above themselves. At the end it just seemed like a group of "SooperMods" desperate for someone to rock up so they would have someone to moderate. I particularly loved the "Ive got more badges under my name than you" competition as well as the "SooperMod .. Look How Big My Signature Block Is" contest.

I posted for a while until flamed by PM by a so called "SooperMod" because he didn't like a joke I made on a thread in The Pigs Bar, a forum clearly labelled with a warning that some comments may well be of the offensive variety to you and should you be easily offended .. do not enter. Said "SooperMod" then got on his high horse because he personally did not like it, no other posters complained about my joke .. just him. I just went on my way after offering him some sugar cubes for his high horse and telling him where to stick his forum. Bit of a shame as I had helped a few guys with enquiries about going offshore and was happy to keep doing so.

Wobbly made a valiant effort and thanks to him for his time, it was fun for a bit. Just a shame it went the way it did.

I only joined here to have an insight to what the helo guys taking me to work were on about, not really that interested in mil aviation anymore.

Al R
25th Aug 2014, 15:27
Wobbly's mobile (the number that I had) is no longer connected. Is anyone in touch with him, or if you're reading this fella - get in touch?

Eye-Kay-Oh
25th Aug 2014, 15:34
It's like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. But after reading this thread, like you get on Trip Advisor, people who post reviews like to have their moan.
Personally, I lurked over there, as I do here and I liked the place. Maybe some of those bleating here should try walking in a moderators shoes sometime, they may get a different perspective on things. I personally think its a poison challice of a task, damned if you do.. damned if you don't.
Not for me ta. :ok:

Now if I remember correctly, over the years they did a hell of a lot of fund raising for various service charities and supporting injured guys at Bastion Force Hospital as well as the RAF units deployed in Bastion, Kandahar and Bastion; not to mention facilitating for the charity Troop Aid and DMWS in Bastion and Selly Oak.

A real shame if it has gone for good.

4everAD
25th Aug 2014, 16:46
It is a shame, egoat was just about the only place to find out news about the RAF that was relevant. Have you tried finding anything on the RAF or mod websites? Or should I call them them the please join up as a reserve sites as that is all the stories/news they have on them!

Courtney Mil
25th Aug 2014, 16:59
4everAD, like the point about the reservist join-up. :D

diginagain
25th Aug 2014, 17:03
... bleating ...I say, jolly well-done.:8

try walking in a moderators shoes sometimeIf you walk a mile in someone else's shoes before criticising them, when you do, you're a mile away, and they've got no shoes.

nutnurse
25th Aug 2014, 18:16
And he's milking it...

Eye-Kay-Oh, didn't you read Vim's post about lurkers, and how it's about time they made a contribution to the forums?

And when you're walking that mile, bring the milk and some salt (Polish proverb about eating a pound of salt together and anyway it will be useful to disinfect the sores on your feet), and some water because one way and another you're going to be seriously thirsty...

nutnurse
25th Aug 2014, 19:15
If the Goat finally does kick the bucket, would it be a result of eating too many prunes?

Linedog
25th Aug 2014, 19:23
Or if it does re-appear maybe it should be renamed Ego-at.

MPN11
25th Aug 2014, 19:32
Not sure I even have it bookmarked any more ... stopped looking at it years ago.

However, if it pleases some, who am I to criticise.

nutnurse
25th Aug 2014, 20:00
Now now, pruners and goaters, play nicely together...

gamecock
25th Aug 2014, 21:57
I used to check in on it once a week or so. As mentioned above, there was some good gen and I caught up with a couple of old mates through it. My only criticism is that there were far too many sub-sections, most of which were dormant. That gave the appearance of a dead forum, which it wasn't.

On all of the forums I look at, i only ever click on 3 or 4 sub-sections. Or in PPrune's case, one!

KISS is the appropriate acronym I believe?

nutnurse
26th Aug 2014, 12:08
Well done, FOMz & Co Unltd. That was quick! ;)

salad-dodger
26th Aug 2014, 12:40
Excellent news, back to the playground then boys :E

S-D

Rigga
9th Dec 2019, 18:20
So...has it gone again??

Exrigger
9th Dec 2019, 19:33
Still there from my Laptop, it was intermittent as it has had a revamp:

https://www.egoat.net/

Rigga