PDA

View Full Version : QLINK CTAF calls on Centre

Username here
17th Aug 2014, 09:39
I've noticed a trend of some QLINK aircraft giving their CTAF call on BNE CN into Armidale/inverell/moree ect.

"Brisbane centre and all stations Armidale, QLINK yada yada yada...."

Is this a QLINK SOP? Can any QLINK guys shed some light on the logic behind it?

Cheers

Jack Ranga
17th Aug 2014, 09:46
They've been doing it for years, it's a good concise call that contains all the information required for centre & destination traffic :ok:

anonymouspilot
17th Aug 2014, 09:56
Not just Qlink...
DESCENT FROM CONTROLLED AIRSPACE
ENR1.1.46.1 Before descending from controlled into Class G airspace and be- fore separation with any aircraft operating near the base of con- trolled airspace can be compromised, the pilot in command of an IFR flight must report position, level, intentions and estimate for next position/destination to the ATS unit providing services in Class G airspace. If the report is made using HF radio, a broadcast must be made on the appropriate area VHF frequency.

Inbound On Descent
17th Aug 2014, 10:08
Not a CTAF call, but nearly identical in phraseology to the CTAF inbound call, made as well as, not instead of. Descending out of controlled airspace into class G, in the hope that VFR aircraft, that we are not aware of, are listening out and are therefor notified of our presence, and intentions.

...which you obviously are! :ok:

Inbound

Afterthought for clarity- top of G airspace is often as high as FL180, - about sixty miles out, so this call is generally made prior to entering G, and before the CTAF inbound call.

Clear as mud?

Username here
17th Aug 2014, 10:35
I just learned something new!

Thanks team!

ACMS
17th Aug 2014, 10:38
As I drone across Oz at all hours day and night it is very common to hear calls like that on centre. :ok:

Creampuff
17th Aug 2014, 11:43
It could be because they want to make sure that as much potential traffic as possible has heard the call. Some traffic may be listening on area frequency, some on CTAF, some on both (and some on neither ...).

It makes sense to me, but lots of posters on PPRuNe will disagree with me.

skkm
17th Aug 2014, 11:56
Exactly the call I was taught to make in my MECIR training. Why wouldn't you want to alert people in the vicinity you're about to turn up?

Blueskymine
17th Aug 2014, 22:30
It's because slower light traffic might not be on ctaf yet and in the airspace a heavier aircraft will transit on decent.

Therefore two calls, one to centre and all stations. Then ctaf calls at an appropriate distance.

I never left Class E unless I'd made an all stations broadcast. There could be traffic below you in class G.

Capn Bloggs
17th Aug 2014, 23:11
I never left Class E unless I'd made an all stations broadcast.
And there could be a VFR tooling along in Class E as well... the broadcast would best be made prior to entering Class E, or if "maintaining" in E, prior to descent.

Fuel-Off
17th Aug 2014, 23:16
Yet despite these calls we still get targets on the TCAS who are conveniently mute and all the while we are coming up on their caboose at a great rate of knots.

To the 'weekend warriors' and smaller operators out there - PLEASE be on the appropriate frequency and be proactive in letting us know where you are. Saves on paperwork later on ;)

Fuel-Off :ok:

Capt Claret
17th Aug 2014, 23:23
Yet despite these calls we still get targets on the TCAS who are conveniently mute and all the while we are coming up on their caboose at a great rate of knots.

That's because they're encouraged to say nothing unless they perceive there's a threat.

Sound practice don't you think, to take the professional in the high performance machine out of the loop and put separation, almost solely in the hands of the oft times less experienced pilot! :ugh: :rolleyes: