PDA

View Full Version : Part 61 and AOC's.

RatsoreA
17th Aug 2014, 08:33
With the introduction of Part 61, and there will no longer a type specific rating for specific twins and it will be rolled into the one endorsement how will that effect AOC's? For example, operator X has an AOC that says he can operate a Baron, a Seneca, a Chieftain. Will the AOC now read 'light twin below 5700' and they can get something like a duchess and just start using it without having to add it to the AOC? Sorry if it's a stupid question, but my understanding of AOC's isn't as complete as I would like!

LeadSled
17th Aug 2014, 08:41
Rats,
My best guess is that the CASA imposed Operations Manual for each AOC will still specify induction and ongoing check and training requirements, so, to that degree, this humungous and almost unmanageable Part 61 will make little difference.

Undoubtedly, there will be fertile grounds for all sorts of arguments with opinionated FOIs, who will resist the whole idea of such group endorsements ---- and their industry colleagues who will support them ---- because they hate change, even if it is what most of the rest of the world have always done.

Why do I speak like this ---- because I have seen it in action already.

Tootle pip!!

Aussie Bob
17th Aug 2014, 10:34
Geeze Ratsore, I would live in hope but my guess is specified types will remain on an AOC. I haven't heard otherwise.

RatsoreA
17th Aug 2014, 10:38
No, neither have I, but logical progression would suggest that... Oh. Wait. I see what I did there. Logical.

But seriously, wouldn't that stand to reason, now that most light twins are covered under the same endorsement?

Tinstaafl
17th Aug 2014, 17:13
USA has pretty much always had the multi-engine land, multi-engine sea & equivalent single engine groups - but nonetheless, AOCs here list the operator's aircraft by manufacturer & model. I"d be surprised if CASA don't continue with that.

thorn bird
17th Aug 2014, 20:25
Tins,
I agree, why would they cut off a massive income stream? FOI's at $160 an hour reading through alternative flight manuals (FCOMS), manufacturer supplied QRH's to make sure they match the flight manuals etc. etc.

d_concord
17th Aug 2014, 21:21
This same issue was about many years ago when they changed from listing every single on the AOC and for that matter your licence and the world did not end then.

I'm obviously giving away my age now!

RatsoreA
17th Aug 2014, 23:37
This same issue was about many years ago when they changed from listing every single on the AOC and for that matter your licence and the world did not end then.

Exactly. Wouldn't it seem reasonable that now you would just have 'Light twin below 5700' listed in place of all those other types? That would remove a lot of pointless red tape, that doesn't enhance any safety aspect?!

megle2
18th Aug 2014, 01:36
Email today from CASA stating guidance material is now on website