PDA

View Full Version : Altp - Plotting - Help Please !!

3 green's
27th May 2002, 04:59
HI ALL

PLAN TO WRITE THE ALTP - PLOTTING EXAM IN 30 DAYS.

COULD ANYBODY PLEASE ADVISE / HELP WITH THE FOLLOWING

1. ANY STUDYING TIPS
2. ANY EXAM TECHNIQUES
3. ANY THOUGHTS RE NOTES TO USE
4. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS OR ADVICE WHICH WILL MAKE PASSING THIS SUBJECT POSSIBBLE / PROBABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS ...

Juliet-Echo
27th May 2002, 07:45
Howzit 3G,

Hey, I wrote the subject about 6 months ago but I'm sure nothing has changed, too much.
I used Avex notes, and without any outside help, managed to get 96%.
It may seem a bit daunting at first, but I think if you work through all the examples, it will all come together.
It's definitely one of the easier subjects - don't stress, boet!

Good luck

Kubota
27th May 2002, 09:24
Two tips:

1. Know everything.
2. Don't screw up!

Clogmaster
27th May 2002, 21:19
I got a PET-with-alternate type plotting question but couldn't for my life remember which sketch to apply (ie where the wind vector goes etc).

My suggestion - try the 3 answer options!

Of the 3 options only 1 gave you an equal time to both destination and alternate using the given winds.

Good luck!
CM

3 green's
28th May 2002, 21:31
thanks guys

have taken advice to heart and will shortly be the proud borrower of a set of avex notes...

suggestion re PET simply exellent...will definilty do it this way...a very very practical solution to the problem

guys and gals any futher advice and comments much appreciated

cheers

3 green's

Clogmaster
29th May 2002, 20:56
3 Greens
I just remembered.... one question gave you a radar vector to steer until FL???... TAS and W/V given.... you had to work out top of climb position.
Radar vector = magnetic heading ... so use W/V and variation to convert to track to plot!
Good luck...
CM

maxrated
30th May 2002, 19:46
3 Greens,
further to Clogmaster's suggestion, if you have time in the exam, try working each of the answers backwards in the calculation, it worked for me.

Personally I found the the Avex notes to be too in depth and the practice questions unrealistically complex, compared to the actual questions I got in the exam. FTC's questions were more realistic and the notes easier to understand although I did go into the detailed Avex notes on occasions when more indepth explanations were required. Try use both sets of notes to study.

Good Luck !

Whitebug-speed
30th May 2002, 19:55
3-Greens...

Make sure your pencil is really, really sharp !

Good luck, be sure to let us know how it went.

P.S. Make sure you have a reliable pathfinder, this can cut down the time for calculations of wind,groundspeed,tas etc. significantly. No point in spinning a whizz-wheel for those things.
:)

3 green's
6th Jul 2002, 09:56
passed the last 3 of my ALTP subjects last week including the plotting XXXXXXXXXXXXX !!!!!!!!!!!

thanks all for the solid advice and encouragement

its going to be a great weekend

cheers

3 green's

:) :) :)

KASAC 7
7th Jul 2002, 19:48
Congrats!
It's a great feeling isn't it?!

3 green's
8th Jul 2002, 05:08
thanks

yeah its really lekker...such a feeling of freedom without having to study....

thanks again

cheers
:) :) :) :)

8th Jul 2002, 22:07
I'm sure you mean ATPL...? :confused:

batty_boy
8th Jul 2002, 23:16
Tried to point that out before.
he is from africa so probably says axe instead of ask as well.
At least he has passed his ptotling emax:) :) :)

9th Jul 2002, 09:21
I'm also from Africa. The SA CAA redifined the ATPL abreviation about 10 years ago already. And believe me; the old one has been well and truly discarded.

I'm tuning you china, don't tune me grief, tune me howzit! :D

batty_boy
10th Jul 2002, 18:28
ata mimi natoka huko bwana.
126.9 is also iraklion approach in case you are interested.but not this season apparrantly 118.025 seems to be in vogue.or sumthing similar.

your loving anorak

batty